IGNORED

The Official Analogue Pocket Thread!

I did the dumb and just grabbed a few random games when I was testing, few dmg games, some color compatible games, color only games and a couple gba games. I hit wario land 2 and most my weekend went to that lol. Anyhow, ill dig out some gg titles and try that this weekend.

I too find it weird the gg adapter is sold separate of everything else, sure any adapter is sold separate, but the collection should have had all adapters. I did buy the set, but at the time, the lynx one was unavailable. No telling when the set will come out.

Wonder if they'll make more adapters? Only practical..ish one I could think of might be supervision, which was similarly powered to the gameboy, but finding the system is damn hard, I've got a few carts, bought mostly as curiosity, and in case I find the system. There's also game.com, but most people would only be interested in dissing that. How about wonder swan? That was similar to neogeo pocket, but wasn't a us released system, I do think it was at least equivalent popular at least in Japan, even getting a color variant.

Anyhow, the only thing I don't like about the analog pocket is the piano finish (on a handheld?!) And the screen bezel, cover thing, which is just stuck to the front of the system, rather than imbeded, like every other handheld ever (regardless of price or quality)

Anyhow, looking forward to more testing this weekend, or at least more wario land 2.

10 hours ago, Video said:

I too find it weird the gg adapter is sold separate of everything else, sure any adapter is sold separate, but the collection should have had all adapters. I did buy the set, but at the time, the lynx one was unavailable. No telling when the set will come out.

Wonder if they'll make more adapters? Only practical..ish one I could think of might be supervision, which was similarly powered to the gameboy, but finding the system is damn hard, I've got a few carts, bought mostly as curiosity, and in case I find the system. There's also game.com, but most people would only be interested in dissing that. How about wonder swan? That was similar to neogeo pocket, but wasn't a us released system, I do think it was at least equivalent popular at least in Japan, even getting a color variant.

I suppose it makes sense since it appears the GG adapter was an earlier release based on what I'm seeing while the other 3 we are still waiting for. Though I suppose a 4-pack and 3-pack would've made sense.

I don't think enough people have Supervision carts to warrant an adapter, plus the FPGA core is already out there. That'd be an ultra niche adapter for a niche system. Also, the games mostly suck, so that's another factor. Same with the game.com. Of the three, a WonderSwan adapter probably makes the most sense, but still not a whole lot of sense IMO. It doesn't seem to have a library as accessible to non-Japanese speakers as the NGP/NGPC. Who knows though, I don't have a WS so I'm not very familiar with it.

9 hours ago, Video said:

As said above the GG adapter was released alongside the first Pocket run, though it was sold separately. I got it so I wouldn't want to buy another one with the set of adapters, but I agree they should offer two sets. Actually it would even be better to be able to buy each adapter separately... Well, I guess I'll have to buy a few Lynx games now. 😅

I also agree the WonderSwan is the only one that would make sense. It's clearly ultra niche, but given that the Pocket seems to be here to stay (at least longer than the other Analogue systems), maybe it will happen in the long run. And unless they release an openFPGA-compatible console (which is a strong possibility mind you), they might even consider adapters for 8-bit consoles using small carts.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, small cart or card consoles, like master system Sega cards (though there's only like 12 titles) sg1k console I believe used the same cards. Or turbo graphics which used a similar card format. That one was decently popular. How about virtual boy? Yes they would have to go with a blue red anagliphic style, low number of games, but the games I got were well worth playing, just the only current option is a dying virtual boy console (mine shows lines now, but does still technically work)

I could see adapters for larger consoles, like 2600, or intellivision. Yes the carts are huge, but if they made a larger adapter, that say, clipped over the top of the analog pocket and the carts partially inserted into the adapter to avoid wobble, I don't see this as outside of doable.

I had a wonderswan way back, and accessibility would be an issue, lots of rpg games that were Japanese only, lot of text heavy stuff. I guess that depends on where the device is sold. I bought ws for curiosity, and a digimon game, or was it tomagatchi? Anyhow, I had a tiny number of games, but with minimal reading involved. I could see the potential, but yeah, I wouldn't take up an entire language for an obscure handheld full of mostly my least favorite genre. I'd still buy that adapter though.

I see the adapters are back on sale now  on the Analogue shop, with immediate shipping (supposedly).

Although I'd doubt I'd ever go for them at this point, because just like it was with the Turbo Everdrive, once I put that in my TurboDuo I never broke out any of my original hucards again, ever. Same for this.. the OpenFPGA loads the same data, so why am I going to bother popping in a single hucard physically, one at a time per game. Your personal disposition may vary but that's just where I'm at. And it's the same for Gamegear, GB/GBC, GBA essentially. The Pocket rocks just loading up any of their library without plugging a single thing in. 

• Like 1

I ordered the adapters in October when I ordered my Pocket...mine have still not shipped. I'll shoot them an email at the end of the week if I don't get a shipping notice.

And to @Video there is a Hu-card adapter for the pocket for TG16/PCE/SGX games.

I also found it interesting that Analogue said on Twitter/X that they've reduced shipping costs 30-50%...so I can assume I'll get a refund of my $31 to ship 3 tiny cart adapters? Probably not. 

ETA: @NE146Personally, I find the display modes worth it for an adapter vs openfga core. Also some may like the save states feature. To me anyway, well worth another $30 per system.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Video said:

How about virtual boy? Yes they would have to go with a blue red anagliphic style, low number of games, but the games I got were well worth playing, just the only current option is a dying virtual boy console (mine shows lines now, but does still technically work)

For the Pocket screen maybe, but the best route imho would be to stick to 2D on the Pocket screen, and display 3D with the dock and a 3DTV. Which would make it even more niche that it already is...

And by small carts I was thinking about C64 or Vectrex, that kind of systems. But Atari 2600 and Intellivision wouldn't completely shock me, only NES (or NeoGeo lol) would be obviously out of the question...

Edited by roots.genoa
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, madman said:

Well that's interesting, the white Pocket, dock and GG adapter I ordered this week just shipped. The 3-pack of other adapters that are "in stock" that I ordered in October haven't. 

In the latest newsletter in which they announce that accessories are back in stock, they discreetly mention that the adapter pack is still coming, but at the end of the year, while it was planned for Q3 initially.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, roots.genoa said:

In the latest newsletter in which they announce that accessories are back in stock, they discreetly mention that the adapter pack is still coming, but at the end of the year, while it was planned for Q3 initially.

I suppose in that case I misinterpreted their Twitter post that says "Pocket accessories are in stock and shipping now". They apparently meant the dock, hard case, screen protector and AC to USB adapter. Oh well...in the meantime the FPGA cores it is. Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ninjabba said:

Hit the jackpot yesterday.. got a glowy one, not that I specifically want it to glow but man these things are scarce 

Yeah,

I have a white one, but kind of wanted one (Not a priority though)...Was even gonna make a joke about them selling out instantly...

Just looked and ...

Sure enough

SOLD OUT

**sigh**

10 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

Hit the jackpot yesterday.. got a glowy one, not that I specifically want it to glow but man these things are scarce 

Are you really the one that hit the jackpot though? I mean this model was $250, and iirc you're in Europe so you paid expensive shipping and will have to pay expensive taxes as well. 😅

Then if you have the money anyway, good for you I guess.

If you didn't have one yet,  and got a glow in the dark version...I'd definitely say "Jackpot!",  even if you just want to sell it and make an extra $20 to $50 (or maybe even more, but I wouldn't go crazy).  Personally I really like Glow in the Dark stuff.  I don't know why,  maybe it's some happy childhood memories of cool glowing toys or even thrash band shirts bought at concerts with glowing logos.  And,  I like color choices;  Searched a long time (pre-internet)  before I found a Green Game Boy in the wild.  Years actually...And I don't care for see-through cases or colors so this is better IMO.  Plus it's an Analogue Pocket!  So a very cool product in its own right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Are you really the one that hit the jackpot though? I mean this model was $250, and iirc you're in Europe so you paid expensive shipping and will have to pay expensive taxes as well. 😅

Then if you have the money anyway, good for you I guess.

Indeed I think it's a little too pricey, but I've been wanting to get a new Lynx device for developing games and realized that it would be not much cheaper (mcwill and all). It's a small investment for sure.

Btw, that jackpot remark should be in double quotes, I'm being sarcastic 😅 I did the fastest checkout in history probably, judging from all the complaints online 

Edited by Ninjabba
  • Like 2

I've been wanting to get a new Lynx device for developing games and realized that it would be not much cheaper

Oh, so you didn't already have a Pocket, nice then. I'm quite flabbergasted by guys who already own a Pocket and will buy this expensive model just to let it in its box. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah that part of the market is crazy. I find the whole retro market a bit concerning with the prices constantly going up.. takes the fun out of collecting. Regular Pockets are being sold at stupid high prices on eBay and I didn't like to preorder when they first got announced. 

Gave it another shot with the glow version because they are shipping this week and somehow managed.

Didn't know it also came with a synth/sequencer to hook up to the OP-1, looks like that'll be my first usecase 😄

• Like 1

16 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Oh, so you didn't already have a Pocket, nice then. I'm quite flabbergasted by guys who already own a Pocket and will buy this expensive model just to let it in its box. 🤷‍♂️

You've been on AA for nearly 10 years and you're flabbergasted by people who collect things? I'm as surprised the glowy Pocket sold out so quickly as much as I'm surprised that the Duos still haven't sold out, that is to say not at all. I'd imagine the split between flippers and collectors on this one is pretty even. Although since they allowed people to order 2, maybe there's a number who fall into both categories. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, madman said:

You've been on AA for nearly 10 years and you're flabbergasted by people who collect things?

Well, there's collecting and collecting. I understand people trying to get every game on a specific system for instance. But getting every model of a modern system, when the price is super expensive (especially with Analogue's overpriced shipping and taxes)? Not so much.

• Like 1