What would you want to be enabled to buy from Atari?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Of all possible, impossible or fairly possible things Atari could conceivably produce and sell, what would you buy?

• A 2600-Mini, working on modern TVs, with original cartridge slots reading all regions, including all major titles?
    • A 5200-Mini, working with all modern TVs, having cartridge-slots reading all 5200 carts & including most major 5200 titles?
    • A 7800-Mini, working with all modern TVs, with cart-slots reading original 7800 games (both PAL and NTSC), and including all or a majority of original 7800-games
    • A Lynx-Mini, working with all modern TVs, with external cart-slot reading original Lynx-carts, having inbuilt all or a majority of original Lynx-titles
    • A Jaguar-Mini, working with all modern TVs, having s drive that’ll read original Jaguar publications 100% as to hardware reading, and containg all or most Jaguar-Titles
    • An Atari-Universal Console, which has the capabilities and the necessary slots to read and run all original Atari-console cartridges and mini-cards etc etc, on all modern TVs, nothing inbuilt, but costing less
    • An Atari-Universal Console with external hardware slots for all generations of cartridges and mem-cards, running on all modern TVs, and with many possibilities on a software download shop

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, Giles N said:

We don’t know everything yet.

Only one picture of it’s full assembly exists to date:

IMG_6344.jpeg

And one other image...

(The Nutari)  Cover your heart ladies and germs....This could get ugly...Nobody  knows what exists in other realms and other dimensions but nutari is clear...What madness lurks in hearts of men?  Only the Shadow knows!  What is their plan?   What does it all mean!????

man-penis-doodle-seamless-pattern-hand-d

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

And one other image...

(The Nutari)  Cover your heart ladies and germs....This could get ugly...Nobody  knows what exists in other realms and other dimensions but nutari is clear...What madness lurks in hearts of men?  Only the Shadow knows!  What is their plan?   What does it all mean!????

Comes with ‘Ballblazer ReCharged’ and  ‘Missile Command BioWeapon’ built-in.

The box-ad line reads ‘come play with your nutari’ and ‘have you played nutari today?’

• Haha 1

I didn’t really play it much bsck then, quite simply because I had too many games, but it got some reward.

As to movies - how much they could have made out of Matrix Revolutions, and how poor it went as to story-arc.

I have barely dared opening one eye while watching cut-scrnes, clips and reviews of Matrix Resurrections, so as not to completely overwrite my memory of the original.

Matrix Reloaded was okeyish, but they could so easily have made both reloaded and revolutions massive blockbusters - and had a perfect trilogy.

If one messes up good, universal story-telling by imagining that sort-of-different must equal better, I’d say nope, not necessarily so, better get every detail straight, every line perfect, every new momentum and build-up absolutely right.

All the epic elements are there, then I feel 2/3s out in Reloaded the story begins to fall apart, in Revolutions it feeld like a series with 3 or 4 epic scenes cut in.

And every resolution of conflict/plot-point id spoiled by a mediocre take on everything.

Sorry thing. 

I’d wish I could do an Inception of myself into the story and change the last to movies … my liking.

Some would say I flatter myself too much to claim I could make better plot-ending, others would say making a better ending Revolutions wouldn’t take… well… much …

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 8:08 PM, GoldLeader said:

Personally I love this idea!

Though it could end up being super expensive.  I guess it would depend on the number of choices and whether or not people could upload their worlds and share their designs...

Myself, I imagine a game starting out like a platformer like Ghosts 'N Goblins or Castlevania.  After you decide how many levels you have there;  Fire and ice, rivers and streams, forests etc., to get to the Haunted Mansion (or Haunted House),  you could add a graphic of the house and you'd pick the color and trim of the house, which house, whether it had rattling shutters or glowing red eyes coming from inside, whether there was a graveyard or skeletons in the front yard and whether or not bats would fly out or the whole place be covered in fog,...The number of dead trees or evil looking weeping willows etc.

After seeing the house and going inside, the game could be like Adventure or maybe an Addams Family game on NES, or a different platformer etc. except you'd design the mazes and levels and pick the colors and collectible objects,  and types of enemies...Yeah Nutari would never spring for something so fun!

What do think about this?

Do you think it looks promising/interesting?

54 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Looks cool but I don't have any of those systems!

Not Steam on Windows-PC either?

- - -

Anyway, what here do you think seems to be pros/cons, what looks done-right, what - if anything - do yiu miss or think could look more improved/better re-imagined?

And… is Haunted House a game you’ve spent much time on with original 2600…?

8 hours ago, Giles N said:

Not Steam on Windows-PC either?

- - -

Anyway, what here do you think seems to be pros/cons, what looks done-right, what - if anything - do yiu miss or think could look more improved/better re-imagined?

And… is Haunted House a game you’ve spent much time on with original 2600…?

I don't like PC Games...Only consoles.  By the same token,  I don't analyze it too much if it's not something I can play.  I don't want to end up wanting it,  if I can't play it.  I thought it looked fun actually...As for the original,  my friend had it and we spent some time checking it out BITD,  but I haven't played it much since then.  I tend to not like it when ya can't see the whole screen (like when you need the torch or was it flashlight?,  been a while (heh)),  same for some of the mazes in adventure...

On 7/8/2023 at 1:59 AM, GoldLeader said:

And one other image...

A hack of Custer's Hemmorhoids?  

• Haha 2

If you ask me all those products will not help Atari they need to hire homebrewers to make games like they have been, release new carts that will push the systems and a flashback with a cart slot for those that don’t have Atari’s and sell them in Walmart. Games done as well as Princess rescue 2600 or 1942 7800. Not those actual games but new content. Done right this could make big. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chriswhit said:

release new carts that will push the systems and a flashback with a cart slot for those that don’t have Atari’s and sell them

Seems they will try to get the Playmaji console to work with the VCS, or just to read 2600 and 7800-carts in addition to Sega, Nintendo, Sony.

It migth generate interest among people who’re retro-everything.

Seems Atari themselves aren’t very directly involved in hardware production right now, but co-operates with other companies.

I agree that they need to get more in touch with some of the homebrew people and community - or just the core-fans.

Its possible to write to them directly on the official page.

I think they’re in contact with PacManPlus-Bob.

That’s a start.

Still I’d guess Atari feel they must be present on already established platforms with software, to generate revenue.

With 100 new IPs obtained in March through April (May?), I think they can either release DLCs for 50th anniversary (I hope they do that, including more options for the emulations already there), or entirely new retro-collections.

Hard to pull-off anything without money.

3 hours ago, chriswhit said:

a flashback with a cart slot for those

Yes, I think a fairly low-priced Flashback with slots for old-type carts wouid be a good idea, particulary 2600/7800-types, but if Lynx-slots could be thrown in too (they’re not all the world in size), it’d be super-nice.

Edited by Giles N

2 hours ago, Giles N said:

Yes, I think a fairly low-priced Flashback with slots for old-type carts wouid be a good idea, particulary 2600/7800-types, but if Lynx-slots could be thrown in too (they’re not all the world in size), it’d be super-nice.

I always wanted a linx as a kid. Never got one. Maybe I should. Is there a lot of home brew on the linx scene 

1 hour ago, chriswhit said:

Maybe I should. Is there a lot of home brew on the linx scene 

The original Lynx have screens with very low light and low quality as per todays’ standards.

I have weak sight, and for me it wouid be a waste of time/money to play this on original hardware.

This isn’t a problem with cmconsoles on CRT-TVs - they’re often bright with good images, softening the pixel-lines of this low-res-age.

The homebrew-lynx-scene.

I don’t know much about it.

You should probably check out the Lynx-forum or go to Songbird ofgicial site (they’re into new/homebrew Lynx-gaming).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Giles N said:

With 100 new IPs obtained in March through April (May?), I think they can either release DLCs for 50th anniversary (I hope they do that, including more options for the emulations already there), or entirely new retro-collections.

Have you seen this? I can find like 10 links all saying similar and the blue link is the pre order page. Pre orders start on the 31st of the month I think. It’s gonna be 2600 console only and $59.99 it’s also pre order only. I wonder how many of these releases Atari will do. https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articles/atari-will-soon-produce-its-first-new-2600-cartridge-game-in-over-30-years/1100-6515173/

Edited by chriswhit

On 7/8/2023 at 1:59 AM, GoldLeader said:

Navy flight training nearby :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Giles N said:

Is this the same game(-concept) as Princess Resque on Intellivision?

Not sure it’s a home brew with all the nes Mario levels with some tweaks. I’ve never seen an intellivision so not very familiar with the games. 

4199EBFF-4C70-4BC2-A16F-6AD12C2E86EA.png

01F39F51-7087-446A-ACDF-FEECB287E342.png

85F14D0B-6896-4ADE-A91D-64201C9D808E.png

9BA9AEF2-A632-4E80-AA21-118B1747404A.png

Edited by chriswhit
Added pics

57 minutes ago, chriswhit said:

Not sure it’s a home brew with all the nes Mario levels with some tweaks. I’ve never seen an intellivision so not very familiar with the games. 

Sorry, my mistake.

I’ve never seen a real Intellivision either. On the Evercade there is a Intellivision-collection containing a homebrew called Princess Quest.

I got the titles wrong in my memory.

Edited by Giles N

I don't think I want Atari doing anything more than releasing compilations of their best old stuff on modern hardware, every move we see with these legacy brands (intellivision amico, atari VCS) seems really grifty so I hope they steer clear of hardware to salvage whatever reputation they have left to the wider gaming public.

4 hours ago, harmonyFM said:

I don't think I want Atari doing anything more than releasing compilations of their best old stuff on modern hardware, every move we see with these legacy brands (intellivision amico, atari VCS) seems really grifty so I hope they steer clear of hardware to salvage whatever reputation they have left to the wider gaming public.

They must of course release software on modern platforms, but if one keeps certain hardware releases clean in design and simple to use, it wouldn’t take all the world to create something for gamers which would enable them to use already collected 2600/7800 carts and/or lynx carts.

It might not be the right time (<—), before they’ve released more software for the established platforms to accumulate money for production, but I don’t see why certain things like a Flashback handheld console with 2600/7800 + lynx-slots, would be so inconceivable if one keep it a straigthforward, simple thing.

- Simple design (like a big gameboy)

- Simple to use

- brigth screen

- typical, nice d-pad; the sort that everybody likes because it’s been the usual setup for 30 years,

- Atari Flashback and 50th Anniversary built in

- 7800/2600 cart slots on the back

- lynx-slot on the bottom

- perhaps evercade slot

- hdmi tv cable

- you get nothing more, nothing-less than-type of thing.

Edited by Giles N

On 7/15/2023 at 2:03 PM, Giles N said:

it wouldn’t take all the world to create something for gamers which would enable them to use already collected 2600/7800 carts and/or lynx carts.

I think the market of people who a. own such cartridges and b. don't already own devices to play them on is probably infinitesimally tiny and I don't see how they would be able to make any money following that path. There's a reason that aftermarket consoles usually go for reproducing Nintendo/Sega before anything else, us Atari fanatics are a small minority of a minority group of consumers.

This is not to say I don't want such a thing to exist, only that I think capitalism would never allow us such delights since they would not be profitable ventures.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, harmonyFM said:

I don't see how they would be able to make any money

They make money by a) make it widely known, b) reproducing exclusive re-runs of titles they already own, c) they buy (back) licenses, and continue re-runs of such re-runs, d) after a proper period after the hardware-cart-reruns, you can but them on an inbuilt e-shop for lesser price, e) as the e-shop store is filled up with more snd more Atari-titles interest will hopefully accumulate,

- - -

I should have put in more categories of conceptual options when I made the poll; but didn’t think of everything.

A hardware-platform device with ability to read and run original carts/cds, - should also have an e-shop.

My idea back when I posted this was something akin to a 3rd VCS (fairly powerful), with four cart/card-slots and a cd-drive built into its body.

Like a modern Atari PC-Console with something like the RetroNs line-up of old-school slots on top of it.

- - -

Now, with a proper handling of the Playmaji-partnership something like this can perhaps come around, even if step by step.

- - -

Thing is: whether or not one mentions capitalism or not, the question of making money is one that can be segmented into several categories; fast profit, over-time profit, weighing risks if one wants to get back into the market, investments vs income/revenue.

This isn’t possible to discuss unless one had direct access to the precise $ Atari could use for investments.

I take it almost for granted they need to make money from other venues (release on major-platforms).

Moreover, already with the titles they own, its plenty of things they can do (with just a tiny bit of smart partnershipping), to get heard, known  and played… by players new and old alike…