IGNORED

RTO - my "production" take on the multicart

5-11under

Mine arrived today. The production and packaging are well beyond my expectations! Thanks so much @5-11under. My old Intellivision is MIA after a recent move, but I already have a new (to me) 2609 on its way. Can't wait to get started playing next week! If anyone has a solid set of resources for getting everything ready while I wait, please DM me. 

• Like 4

I've been looking over the RTO manual at aotta's GitHub in preparation. That along with the instruction provided in the boxed documentation seem to cover anything I can think of right now. I'm thinking some of the ROMs I've purchased over the years might need a .cfg not documented in the Intellivision Game Memory Maps document. If that happens, I guess I'd just experiment with each known config and see if it works. If there's a better way to approach that, I'd love to learn. 

2 minutes ago, sfish said:

I've been looking over the RTO manual at aotta's GitHub in preparation. That along with the instruction provided in the boxed documentation seem to cover anything I can think of right now. I'm thinking some of the ROMs I've purchased over the years might need a .cfg not documented in the Intellivision Game Memory Maps document. If that happens, I guess I'd just experiment with each known config and see if it works. If there's a better way to approach that, I'd love to learn. 

If you have .ROM files, your first try should be the rom2bin conversion utility bundled in jzintv, it "split" the ROM file to the ".bin" and ".cfg" needed by RTO. I used it successfully when needed

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aotta said:

If you have .ROM files, your first try should be the rom2bin conversion utility bundled in jzintv, it "split" the ROM file to the ".bin" and ".cfg" needed by RTO. I used it successfully when needed

That makes sense and I had already installed that utility which does seem to work as well. If I run into any instances where I can't get one to work, I may follow up here for guidance if that's allowed on this thread. If not, please let me know if there's a better way to manage these kinds of requests. 

6 minutes ago, Crash7 said:

I loaded my card up, put it in the console and all I get is a green screen even though the cart itself recognizes the files.  

What am I doing wrong?  

Mine is similar in that all I can get is the title screen (which is green with the game's title and credits), but when I press any of the controller buttons to proceed, the title screen reloads. I've tried a number of different solutions (different cfg or bin files, moving file in and out of folders, etc...), but nothing seems to make it work better. 

On 1/19/2024 at 4:03 AM, 5-11under said:

I'll provide some additional documentation for this version either tonight or tomorrow. The code has links to a "delays" file that can be used to change the timing parameters.

Very good to know. I'm assuming this is expected to properly address the issue I'm reporting. If so, I can't wait to start being able to use my RTO.

Thanks!

Edited by sfish
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sfish said:

Very good to know. I'm assuming this is expected to properly address the issue I'm reporting. If so, I can't wait to start being able to use my RTO.

Thanks!

do you have "0.cfg" file on root SDcard? it's essential for mapping games with standard rom map

7 minutes ago, aotta said:

do you have "0.cfg" file on root SDcard? it's essential for mapping games with standard rom map

Yes. Without it, the RTP complains about not having a CFG file. 

11 minutes ago, sfish said:

Yes. Without it, the RTP complains about not having a CFG file. 

Could you give more info about your environment (Inty Classic or II, if it works fine with original cartridge, what's happen if you press reset button, etc.)?

Do you have same result with all 125 "bin" files? i mean, menu screen ok and reset to menu when pressing a key?

It could be a timing issue as supposed by 5-11under, but they are not common and they should occur only with some games, and with different behavious (freeze, not loading, etc.).

edited:

And, try with attached 0.cfg just to be sure...

0.cfg

Edited by aotta

5 hours ago, aotta said:

Could you give more info about your environment (Inty Classic or II, if it works fine with original cartridge, what's happen if you press reset button, etc.)?

Do you have same result with all 125 "bin" files? i mean, menu screen ok and reset to menu when pressing a key?

It could be a timing issue as supposed by 5-11under, but they are not common and they should occur only with some games, and with different behavious (freeze, not loading, etc.).

edited:

And, try with attached 0.cfg just to be sure...

0.cfg 155 B · 2 downloads

I have an Indy Classic (Model 2609) which works flawlessly with original carts. I have wiped my SD card and reformatted it, adding only your 0.cfg and a few Mattel game .bins at root with no folders. None of them will load. A couple will bring up the green title screen, but pressing 1 to enter the game, just reloads the title screen. Hitting reset (on the INTY or the RTO) does the same. The others either load a green flashing screen with no titles or a black screen. Pressing reset on these games acts the same way as the others. I was able to get some of the homebrew song files to play, but not reliably. I even tried a different SD card to see if that would make a difference. It did not. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sfish said:

I have an Indy Classic (Model 2609) which works flawlessly with original carts. I have wiped my SD card and reformatted it, adding only your 0.cfg and a few Mattel game .bins at root with no folders. None of them will load. A couple will bring up the green title screen, but pressing 1 to enter the game, just reloads the title screen. Hitting reset (on the INTY or the RTO) does the same. The others either load a green flashing screen with no titles or a black screen. Pressing reset on these games acts the same way as the others. I was able to get some of the homebrew song files to play, but not reliably. I even tried a different SD card to see if that would make a difference. It did not. 

Ok, so it seems really a timing issue,  you have to wait 5-11under becouse i don't know how he changed the original code for his version of RTO

Edited by aotta
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, aotta said:

Ok, so it seems really a timing issue,  you have to wait 5-11under becouse i don't know how he changed the original code for his version of RTO

Thank you for pitching in to help. :)

First of all, create a file named "delays.txt" and put that in the root folder of the Micro SD cart. Add the following lines to the file:

Alternately, see the attached txt file. These are the defaults for delRD and delWR respectively, so the cart will work the same with the numbers 520 and 565 compared to not having the delays.txt file at all.

That said, this method does make it relatively easy to try different delRD and delWR values, just by editing the delays.txt file, and restarting the console. There's information in this thread and other RTO threads regarding alternative numbers that could work. Perhaps there's also some newer best practices for that. I haven't checked lately.

I've also attached the .ino file that all these particular RTOs are compiled and loaded with (and the original splash.h file). There may be more assets required to compile the .ino file... but for now, at least, you can see what's happening in the code.

delays.txt RTOCart-HD-107.ino splash.h

4 hours ago, 5-11under said:

First of all, create a file named "delays.txt" and put that in the root folder of the Micro SD cart. Add the following lines to the file:

Alternately, see the attached txt file. These are the defaults for delRD and delWR respectively, so the cart will work the same with the numbers 520 and 565 compared to not having the delays.txt file at all.

That said, this method does make it relatively easy to try different delRD and delWR values, just by editing the delays.txt file, and restarting the console. There's information in this thread and other RTO threads regarding alternative numbers that could work. Perhaps there's also some newer best practices for that. I haven't checked lately.

I've also attached the .ino file that all these particular RTOs are compiled and loaded with (and the original splash.h file). There may be more assets required to compile the .ino file... but for now, at least, you can see what's happening in the code.

delays.txt 10 B · 5 downloads RTOCart-HD-107.ino 29.82 kB · 3 downloads splash.h 15.87 kB · 2 downloads

Having the exact same issues as others have mentioned. Tried your delays.txt file but no change. I have an LTO and a Harmony for Atari so I thought this would be a similar easy to use multi-cart. Do you have a test bin/cfg file that should work that you can share?

5 hours ago, Cellblock1138 said:

Having the exact same issues as others have mentioned. Tried your delays.txt file but no change. I have an LTO and a Harmony for Atari so I thought this would be a similar easy to use multi-cart. Do you have a test bin/cfg file that should work that you can share?

The delays.txt file would require a change in the numbers to make a difference. Using the default numbers wouldn't change anything.

1 hour ago, 5-11under said:

The delays.txt file would require a change in the numbers to make a difference. Using the default numbers wouldn't change anything.

Also, search for "delWR" or for "delRD" to find posts related to the delay timing values.