IGNORED

RTO - my "production" take on the multicart

5-11under

if it could help, the original timing of RTO is 482 for delRD and 540 for del WR, these settings works fine with RTO for all console except for Secam ones. I'd started from these values for testing

2 hours ago, Cellblock1138 said:

Ok. What numbers would you suggest?

Um, how about "482 for delRD and 540 for delWR"? ;)

Honestly, I don't have much of an opinion on this myself, but others have done some experiment on this. All I really did was add the "delays.txt" file capability, so you just have to edit a file if straying from the default, instead of having to recompile the code in Arduino.

3 hours ago, Crash7 said:

I tried everything to get this to work and everything I try is the same thing, the screen caps that I provided in this thread.

The console resetting should be automatic, but does it work any better if the console is reset manually at boot-up and after game selection?

29 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

The console resetting should be automatic, but does it work any better if the console is reset manually at boot-up and after game selection?

Nope, nothing works, I've tried every combination imaginable as far as resetting console.  

Screen caps like posted is the only thing I've ever seen on this I don't even get the title screen.  

I'm not the most text savvy guy in the world as far as installation of hardware so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.  

4 minutes ago, Crash7 said:

Nope, nothing works, I've tried every combination imaginable as far as resetting console.  

Screen caps like posted is the only thing I've ever seen on this I don't even get the title screen.  

I'm not the most text savvy guy in the world as far as installation of hardware so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.  

What sets of values have you tried for the delays.txt file? Was the file format correct - just one number per row, followed by a return?

@Crash7 I am having similar issues with my Super Pro System, but have not had time to test the delay.txt settings. I thought it was me at first too, but you having the similar problem makes me believe the Super Pro System is the common denominator. 

I also tried the RTO on my SSVA and I get the game title screen, but just keeps resetting to that when I try to start a game. Like I said, I still need to play around with the delays file

PXL_20240109_213001741.jpg.acd65110ae5f7af876fb0a07abc96079.jpg

26 minutes ago, RockLobster said:

A little scary to read some of these posts.   

For those who've bought a recent batch, should the rest of us wait?

Noone of the original RTO users i know has a Super Pro System, so i'm not sure if there some issue related to that console model, but afaik i believe it's only a timing setup matter, as for the SECAM console.

If 5-11under tested his version of RTO before selling (and i've no doubt he did it), from my point of view i don't see anything scary in the above posts.

But i'm a bit worried since  my new Pico PiRTO version has timing hardcoded and it can't be changed, so i'm interested in different console variants owner feedbacks!

Super Pro Systems with an INTV 1988 board revision are quite different, otherwise they should be similar to Mattel Intellivisions. Sears Intellivisions have a modified exec, as does Intellivision II.

Edited by mr_me

5 hours ago, mr_me said:

Super Pro Systems with an INTV 1988 board revision are quite different, otherwise they should be similar to Mattel Intellivisions. Sears Intellivisions have a modified exec, as does Intellivision II.

Mine is a SPS with a INTV II exec board.

But I also have an SPS with a INTV I board, maybe I'll try that unit next. 

26 minutes ago, Crash7 said:

If anyone has their's working post a screen cap of your SD card, so we can see the software (not ROMs), that you are using.     

The firmware has been loaded into the Teensy. If you see proper/appropriate messages on the RTO display, then that aspect is likely working fine.

The SD card typically only needs bin and cfg files, with the same root name, such as blackjack.bin and blackjack.cfg. aotta also posted a 0.cfg file. That is the default cfg file that would be used, in case there is no blackjack.cfg file on the SD card, for example. So, for most classic games, all you need is a few bin files and 0.cfg file to start with. 0.cfg should be in the root folder. Games can be in the root, or one level deep into a folder. Besides 0.cfg, bin and corresponding cfg files should be in the same folder.

Beyond that, there's the option to add a delays.txt file in the root folder, as discussed over the past couple of days.

The Exec version doesn't matter, it's the onboard oscillator that make the difference.

The RTO emulates the CPU Bus for ROM/RAM addressing, writing data on the BUS at BAR/ADAR/NACT/DW/DWS request from CPU:

image.thumb.jpeg.0a4593a0b54aef4e7827a298d81ca940.jpeg

as allyou can see, the CP-1600 manual doesn't talk about time between phases, becouse it depends on the clock, but say that the cycle is 600 nanoseconds for a 3,3Mhz Cpu, and 500 nanoseconds for a 4Mhz Cpu.

Now, NTSC, PAL and Secam Intellivision have different quartzs onboard, for generating video signal that, for example,  is faster on PAL Inty than in NTSC ones.

That's why i used 482 nanoseconds for the "waiting" time between read phases, and it works perfectly on my friends and mine PAL consoles, and 5-11under wrote the default of 520 nanoseconds for the NTSC consoles he used to work with.

I don't know SPS systems which quartz used (and i presume the same of the standard NTSC intellivision), but i agree that some fine tuning with the delays parameters could solve the issue.

Edited by aotta

17 minutes ago, Crash7 said:

My SD set up. 

And my results

If somebody can figure it out let me know, I know I'm doing something wrong but I have no idea what.  

You have only .int files for games? RTO wants ".BIN" file.... you have to rename the file from .int to .bin

But RTO found the games? you have to look at the display too and maybe post some pic of it

First of all, the INT files need to be renamed to bin files. You need bin+cfg files (or 0.cfg for most classic games).

You don't need the .ino and .h files, but they're okay to stay.

Does the RTO display show appropriate responses, such as boot-up credits, then the "press a button" message, and then showing folder items, and showing "Active ROM" when a game is selected?

On the TV screen, after the boot-up credits, the console should reset, and show the RTO splash screen. If you get to the "Active ROM" point, the game should play.

So, make sure you have the bin files instead of int files, and then try it out, reporting on the steps you're making, and the results on the RTO display and TV screen.