IGNORED

RTO - my "production" take on the multicart

5-11under

5 hours ago, aotta said:

Very nice! The only suggestion i could give is that the black color for the font is not so readable over the library.. but probably you already tested differents colors!

44 minutes ago, carlsson said:

A white outline would do wonders for the black text.

The stupid thing is I knew before printing that the contrast wasn't good enough. Right now there's a green outline on the text, but likely white will give much better contrast (and hopefully look good).

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, utri007 said:

Are these close to release? 

Boards should be here within a couple of weeks.

In the meantime...

All other parts have arrived. Box and manual redesign is complete, with printed samples set for Thursday. Cardboard boxes are being cut with CNC, scored, and folded.

I've got CNC programs for the shells, but I've only cut a couple so far. After that, the final assembly of the boards, shells, and boxes.

So, sorry, no date yet, but I've convinced myself there's a lot more work to be done. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 5-11under said:

Boards should be here within a couple of weeks.

In the meantime...

All other parts have arrived. Box and manual redesign is complete, with printed samples set for Thursday. Cardboard boxes are being cut with CNC, scored, and folded.

I've got CNC programs for the shells, but I've only cut a couple so far. After that, the final assembly of the boards, shells, and boxes.

So, sorry, no date yet, but I've convinced myself there's a lot more work to be done. :)

What will be price about and was there two projects to produce this hardware?

1 hour ago, utri007 said:

What will be price about and was there two projects to produce this hardware?

Initial price, for the first few months, approximately, should be $85 US for the cartridge. The box+manual will be extra and optional, with price to be determined. The boxes are labor-intensive, so unfortunately, they won't be cheap.

This applies to my version, using shells made by Coleco (for Donkey Kong, Carnival) (for the Intellivision, of course), larger screen, etc. If you see pictures that I've posted, and information that I've posted, that's the product. When the time is closer, I'll collect that information in one place a bit better. There is at least one more RTO being offered for open sale now or soon, and anyone can make their own. As mentioned, posts in this thread by me describe my version, but posts from others could be describing/showing other versions.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, RockLobster said:

Is there room in the licensing to brand/label/name your version differently so that "RTO" alone doesn't cause any confusion or unnecessary drama?   

Like maybe call yours "RTO 5-11 Edition" or "RTO Ultimate", etc.

The title on the front of the box is "RTO flash cart". I'll have to double-check to make sure all the updated assets (box, label, manual) match that title. All the assets mention aotta is the originator and also that this is my take on it.

Beyond that, people just need to know what they would be spending their $85 on. That will all be explained on the sales web site and here (when ready). It's already explained here, but is spread across 10 pages (although the background is explained in the first post).

8 hours ago, 5-11under said:

Initial price, for the first few months, approximately, should be $85 US for the cartridge. The box+manual will be extra and optional, with price to be determined. The boxes are labor-intensive, so unfortunately, they won't be cheap.

This applies to my version, using shells made by Coleco (for Donkey Kong, Carnival) (for the Intellivision, of course), larger screen, etc. If you see pictures that I've posted, and information that I've posted, that's the product. When the time is closer, I'll collect that information in one place a bit better. There is at least one more RTO being offered for open sale now or soon, and anyone can make their own. As mentioned, posts in this thread by me describe my version, but posts from others could be describing/showing other versions.

Thank you. When the time will come, I want one with shell. Box and printed manual are not needed. :)

You can always just sell the box and manual flat...Most of us can assemble the boxes.  I bet within two weeks someone will be selling overlays that may or may not be useful. 🙂  This could save on shipping and a lot of box building hours.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

A couple of people have asked, so here's the making of the boxes, which is in progress. I got some samples printed today, and notice a font/pdf issue, which I think I've got solved. Hoping to get all the printing done within the next week.

CNC: it runs pretty slow, but it's a 0.032" bit, and it still goes as fast as I'm able to do other tasks such as scoring and folding. Also, too much faster, and the bits start to break too easily:

Insert CNC completed. All pieces are made from 0.050" chipboard:

image.jpeg.cefe3e4850d20510b5b61858402bffc9.jpeg

Insert scored and folded:

image.jpeg.a1f06b26a30487c7fa45e800edb772d9.jpeg

More Inserts:

image.jpeg.e16899dc45b1ea9b9cc583f18b78d5fc.jpeg

Box bottom:

image.jpeg.a380ca1a99ddf9f98d0baac6baeac3e9.jpeg

Box bottom taped:

05.jpg.1cb074870eb9581e2c3fa6a3cc1ae636.jpg

Box bottom label cut:

image.jpeg.598be26950d327360d3a2953aaa368e6.jpeg

Placement:

image.jpeg.b8b882abb9503c0278dcf9f5b2bb9a0a.jpeg

Folding started:

image.jpeg.8fc000479db9f0bc5a5b3a14fb50358e.jpeg

Folding complete:

image.jpeg.94ab5a2bcd7b1bb23dab8b1a4412e070.jpeg

Insert and old prototype cartridge installed:

image.jpeg.54210c1924808a1a88cc4e03397bc001.jpeg

So, @BBWW, these will not be sold in a flat-pack format. ;)

• Like 12

2 hours ago, RockLobster said:

All this chatter about boxed sets, I'm wondering what a sachel of RTO carts would look like.   I hope it's utilitarian yet made of hand sewn leather with a slight nod to urban aesthetics.  

The proper term for the type of sachel you're talking about is "sporran".  If the RTO ships in anything less than what is in the photo below and we'll know they cheaped out on us.

image.thumb.png.ca24b604a555b9466b178eeb8715650d.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lathe26 said:

The proper term for the type of sachel you're talking about is "sporran".  If the RTO ships in anything less than what is in the photo below and we'll know they cheaped out on us.

And of course it needs to be made from...

image.thumb.png.9ea067ffed13698e2c5cfb5bc90786f9.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2