IGNORED

RTO - my "production" take on the multicart

5-11under

I start thinking it's an issue related to the "reset" handling, that it's probably different in SSVA and SPS than in Intellivision I & II: for some reasons the console seems to "reset" and reboot the cart even if the buttons 1 or 2 in tha RTO aren't pressed.

But to go deeper in the analysis, it occurs a modded firmware or a phisical cut in reset trace. As already told, i don't have a SSVA or a SPS to test (and i think 5-11under doesn't have such kind of console to test the version he sold you)

Thanks for the suggestions everybody I have a long day today with cardio and a meeting at my social club that's an all-nighter so I will try this over the weekend but believe me I will keep you up to date on the progress. 

23 hours ago, aotta said:

RTO title screen is, in fact, a very simple Intellivision program that show the title, that i "hardcoded" into the firmware. So, the bus communication works.

Could you test a very simple Bin file, like this?

Mickey's Hello World (1999)(-)(PD).bin 222 B · 4 downloads

0.cfg 155 B · 0 downloads

Just copy both file on a fresh fat32 formatted SDCard (better if smaller than 32gb), and give another try.

Please also report us if "Emulating ROM" etc. is correctly displayed on oled screend

Okay I think I reformatted the drive as small as I can get it where I went to find FAT32 software.  

So then I loaded it up again and I selected Mickey's hello world and this is what I see.

Obviously there's no F10 or ESC key on the television deck, so I'm not sure what that means going forward I guess you just wanted to see if the software would work on a reformatted SD?

The bin files that I have, still did not work, only Mickey's did. 

But that is the first game title screen I have been able to see on this cart since I bought it, so I guess we'll call that progress. 😁

Thanks.....

20240210_043013.jpg

20240210_043023.jpg

Edited by Crash7

9 minutes ago, Crash7 said:

Okay I think I reformatted the drive as small as I can get it where I went to find FAT32 software.  

So then I loaded it up again and I selected Mickey's hello world and this is what I see.

Obviously there's no F10 or ESC key on the television deck, so I'm not sure what that means going forward I guess you just wanted to see if the software would work on a reformatted SD?

The bin files that I have, still did not work, only Mickey's did. 

But that is the first game title screen I have been able to see on this cart since I bought it, so I guess we'll call that progress. 😁

Thanks.....

Yes the "Hello world" it's only a test, but if it works, i think your RTO is ok, i guess there's something wrong in your ROM / Card as already supposed.

Did you also checked the "bowling" bin i sent you in PM some days ago? If it works, maybe there was something wrong in your "bin" conversion

With the 2609 model, there are at least three different main board revisions, maybe more. Sears Intellivisions should be the same as a 2609 made in Hong Kong, other than the exec roms.

INTV Super Pro systems, in addition to the INTV1988 revision, also had an INTV1987 revision which uses mostly similar components to a 2609 Intellivision. Other Super Pro and INTV systems could have various board revisions same as those found in the 2609 models.

FYI, I'm transitioning to aotta's Pi version, PiRTO. All assets are prepared... box and label designs are completed and ready for a print test. A small quantity of boards and parts have been ordered, for testing.

I've got a lot of parts leftover from the original, but that's life - it's not worth continuing that version, because it's way too difficult to assemble both the shell and the board. The PiRTO has some advantages, such as easier-to-source parts, and easier-to-assemble design.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5-11under said:

I've got a lot of parts leftover from the original, but that's life - it's not worth continuing that version, because it's way too difficult to assemble both the shell and the board. 

You don't say? 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, 5-11under said:

FYI, I'm transitioning to aotta's Pi version, PiRTO. All assets are prepared... box and label designs are completed and ready for a print test. A small quantity of boards and parts have been ordered, for testing.

I've got a lot of parts leftover from the original, but that's life - it's not worth continuing that version, because it's way too difficult to assemble both the shell and the board. The PiRTO has some advantages, such as easier-to-source parts, and easier-to-assemble design.

I am definitely interested. I missed out on the LTO carts and have forever been wanting a flash cart for my Intellivision II. 

5 hours ago, 5-11under said:

Patiently waiting in line for a chance to get one. Even better this way.

Also on the line for Microvision Barrage. It will be a perfect match for the new LCD screen you provided. :-)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lazzeri said:

Patiently waiting in line for a chance to get one. Even better this way.

Also on the line for Microvision Barrage. It will be a perfect match for the new LCD screen you provided. 🙂

The new version should be more readily available because it's easier to build. That's the plan.

Barrage will take some time yet, but regular progress is being made. It's kind of a spare spare time project, though.

• Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

The new version should be more readily available because it's easier to build. That's the plan.

Barrage will take some time yet, but regular progress is being made. It's kind of a spare spare time project, though.

This is fantastic news! 

6 hours ago, 5-11under said:

The new PiRTO (both THT and next SMD version) could be ordered already assembled from Jlcpcb, but it's a bit expensive because minimum order is 5 PCB, of with at least 3 assembled. And they quote the Pi Pico at about 30$, when you can find it for under 10$ in other site. 

I use Jlcpcb sometimes for the shell too, they print in 3D with great quality.

So, it possible to order the PiRTO, connect it to a PC via Usb cable, load the firmware with a copy & paste, put the SDcard with games and enjoy it!

Edited by aotta
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 3:16 PM, 5-11under said:

I did say.

Here's a little tip.  

Before you release your next cart?  My advice to you would be to find people on this forum, with INTV I, II, III, Super Pro Systems, Tutor Pro's, Tandy, and Sears models, and have them test it, and show video proof that it actually works.  

It's called due diligence.  

That way you won't have a bunch of people discussing in DM's, how your last "release" doesn't work on their systems, and your flippant attitude towards the problem itself. 

Good day.    

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Crash7 said:

Here's a little tip.  

Before you release your next cart?  My advice to you would be to find people on this forum, with INTV I, II, III, Super Pro Systems, Tutor Pro's, Tandy, and Sears models, and have them test it, and show video proof that it actually works.  

That way you won't have a bunch of people discussing in DM's, how your last "release" doesn't work on their systems, and your flippant attitude towards the problem itself. 

Good day.    

I have to agree with @Crash7. I jumped on the chance to support all the hard work, and loved the idea of being able to get a ROM cart for our beloved INTV. Super disappointed to see it abandoned so quickly when it never worked for the 2 systems I use. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Crash7 said:

Here's a little tip.  

Good day.    

On the sales page at my store, I wrote the disclaimer "Before purchasing, please investigate exactly what the RTO Flash Multicart is, as well as my revisions from aotta's work". I did make some modifications to aotta's design, because I didn't like the small screen, and the reset circuitry wasn't working for me (his newer versions match mine, it looks like). I also added the "delays.txt" file capability, so if people needed to, they could adjust the timing settings without having to upload new firmware to the Teensy inside. Beyond that, however, the main part of the design is not mine. That's why I wrote the first part of the disclaimer. There were no secrets that there could be issues with some consoles.

I have not tried to be flippant in any response, except for the "I did say" to you (but only because I deemed your comment to be in poor taste). The fact is, I don't know the correct timing settings for all the systems. I know the default works for the 3 systems I have here. I don't know whether the values should be increased or decreased, or exactly what the values mean.

If anyone has one that doesn't work for them, send me a PM, and you can return the item back to me, all in good physical condition. I'll refund the product price.

14 hours ago, 5-11under said:

If anyone has one that doesn't work for them, send me a PM, and you can return the item back to me, all in good physical condition. I'll refund the product price.

Update to the above. Offer good until February 29 for North American orders (longer for the more recent out-of-NA orders). I'll respond within 24 hours for any requests. Have package postmarked on or before that date. @Crash7, I know you wanted to send it out in 3 weeks, but I think the end of this month is fair. If you don't want it, there's no reason to wait 3 weeks.

On 2/10/2024 at 11:17 PM, 5-11under said:

Absolutely no hurries on both - especially Barrage.

TBH I was just trying to refresh people’s memory on your long story of excellent products for our little community, notably the neglected platforms. I’m a proud owner of your Arcadia multicart & microvision LCD and truly hope to get more of your stuff.

If Atari inc - who’s pouring millions all around - can release a commercial product with a lot of flaws and “that’s untested” remarks and still get a lot of praise for it, I truly feel that your attempt should get a little more love. Especially being a hobby product made based on a hobby design and donated shells. A lot of people is pouring love in this for little to no money - and I pretty sure every problem will be solved.

Anyway. Still waiting in line for the chance to get an INTV multicart. Seeing how hard is to make one, no wonder so few people try to make it. Can’t take you or @aotta enough.

Edited by lazzeri
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 5-11under said:

Update to the above. Offer good until February 29 for North American orders (longer for the more recent out-of-NA orders). I'll respond within 24 hours for any requests. Have package postmarked on or before that date. @Crash7, I know you wanted to send it out in 3 weeks, but I think the end of this month is fair. If you don't want it, there's no reason to wait 3 weeks.

Unfortunately I don't drive, so I can only get to a post office when I can, plus I'm having a medical procedure done this Friday and it's going to be at least two weeks before I'm allowed to leave my house.  

I think it's laughable you're talking about what's "fair", when you're the one who built a faulty product and failed to do the proper testing on it before you decided to release it.  

But maybe that's just me.  

23 minutes ago, Crash7 said:

Unfortunately I don't drive, so I can only get to a post office when I can, plus I'm having a medical procedure done this Friday and it's going to be at least two weeks before I'm allowed to leave my house. 

Based on the circumstances, send it when you can, then, and then we can be done with this.

• 3 weeks later...