IGNORED

RTO - my "production" take on the multicart

5-11under

33 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Do those cartridges hold together with a screw, or is it a battle with plastic tabs and/or glue to work with them?

Two screws under the front label. The end portion of the label also straddles both halves.

Ignoring the label, the shell easily falls/pulls apart after the screws are removed.

That said, under normal/working operation, you won't need to open the cartridge, because the MicroSD cart slot is accessible from the right side of the cartridge, and the micro-USB slot is accessible from the left side (only required if you want different firmware).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SiberianSpForces said:

Do any of the chips need programming/ coding done?

the RTO is "powered" by a Teensy 4.1 Development Board. There will be firmware that I'll load onto the Teensy. The code will be a variation of aotta's, because some things have been updated. After I've loaded the firmware, that's all the programming/coding that needs to be done.

The code will be made available, in case anyone wants to update/customize it for their own purposes, or if someone wants to add new features. You could make your own splash screens or menus or whatever. You could make your own game that only uses the onboard screen, and power it by the microUSB port. The Teensy 4.1 also makes it very easy to go back to the original version, if required.

• Like 3

Put it in a cool looking box and I'm definitely in also!😄👍

Don't get me wrong with that comment, I will use it.

I play all my games I get in boxes also because I am both a serious player and collector.

I always enjoy the artwork on the boxes and they look great in my game cabinet that way.

Edited by wolfy62
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2023 at 11:54 PM, Rev said:

Headed to Canada. I claim the white cart for my RTO Flash. 😜

image.jpg

Hoarder alert!

Oh no, we need 2 of these.  The black cart for the various intellivision 1's. With the label Not For Use on Intellivision II  and the white shell compatible with the intellivision II.

** Note **  @5-11under the buttons should be stiff and hard to use on the white shell version.

Not kidding, I would actually consider getting one of each... 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, aotta said:

If you wanna go for diy, you'll find all you need in my GitHub s repo (linked in first post). 5 pcbs cost me less than 20 dollars included shipping from China.

Cool. I think I downloaded it on my PC. I'll check when I'm home later. Is there a link/info for getting the PCBs in it?

19 minutes ago, SiberianSpForces said:

Cool. I think I downloaded it on my PC. I'll check when I'm home later. Is there a link/info for getting the PCBs in it?

I didn't put any info on my repo, but it's the usual way for getting pcb: zipping the "gerbers" folder and submit the zip file to one online pcb producer (i usualy use jlcpcb - cheaper - and sometimes pcbway). Be aware of shipping options, some are fast but expensive!

• Like 2

Well, it took me way too long to get my new screen working, but it finally does. I'll order some new prototypes over the next couple of days, which should arrive within 2 weeks from now. If that works well, the next step is to make a few for some beta testers.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

Well, it took me way too long to get my new screen working, but it finally does. I'll order some new prototypes over the next couple of days, which should arrive within 2 weeks from now. If that works well, the next step is to make a few for some beta testers.

👍

• Like 2

Quick update: The new prototype board has been ordered, and should arrive within a week and a half.

The reset circuit and software has been tested on both a Model I and a Model II.

The new screen is a 1.3" OLED, which should be good for people like me whose eyesight isn't what it used to be... .

I've got one beta tester, but I could use a couple more. Beta carts will be regular price, but you'll get it a bit earlier than others will. Ideally the beta tester will test the cart on several systems, spend a bit of time pushing buttons, test a variety of games, and provide feedback. Let me know if you're interested.

8 hours ago, 5-11under said:

Quick update: The new prototype board has been ordered, and should arrive within a week and a half.

The reset circuit and software has been tested on both a Model I and a Model II.

The new screen is a 1.3" OLED, which should be good for people like me whose eyesight isn't what it used to be... .

I've got one beta tester, but I could use a couple more. Beta carts will be regular price, but you'll get it a bit earlier than others will. Ideally the beta tester will test the cart on several systems, spend a bit of time pushing buttons, test a variety of games, and provide feedback. Let me know if you're interested.

I'd be interested. For systems I have a model 1 with the System Changer mod, an INTV II with a Yannick RGB board and I've also got a Super Video Arcade on the way.

Edited by ApolloBoy
  • Like 1