IGNORED

RTO - my "production" take on the multicart

5-11under

Update: I finally found some time to add a delay configuration file, to make it easier to change the bus timing. As mentioned, it's easy enough to update the entire code, so there's plenty of options.

My next steps are to finalize the part sourcing, order gold boards, and open up pre-orders (because the Teensy board inside is expensive).

Details to follow.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update: Dang... it's been pretty much a month since the last update. In that time, I did a board spin, to use smaller components. It's been tested, and works well. I'm going to order a batch of proper boards on Monday, and when they're completed assembly, I'll open up pre-orders. That'll be in a few weeks. In the meantime, I'll be making sure everything else is ready to go. I'm not sure if I mentioned, but the labels also need to be reprinted... the end portion needs to be upside-down ;) (or I've got it upside down).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, 5-11under said:

Details to follow, but I'm still hoping for $85 max for the initial offering. Not sure exactly, but maybe $15 more later on.

Just curious, because I'd love to purchase one anyway-will either version have a box and instructions included or both bare cart?

Thanks!😊

4 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

Just curious, because I'd love to purchase one anyway-will either version have a box and instructions included or both bare cart?

Thanks!😊

Waiting for 5-11under for answering about it's smaller version, i can confirm that manual is uploaded in official project's github page: https://github.com/aotta/RTO-Cart/blob/main/RTO_FLASH_CART_User_Manual-(EN).pdf

About the Box and printed manual, for the Original RTO version (the size and box are different from the 5-11under resized one) is in progress an high quality production with resin shell, printed box and manual, but it seems the final price will be higher (over 150$), as the team that's working on it intend to make a kind of collector's product. Below a picture of the actual box (the author sent me a courtesy copy, but haven't yet received ;) )

BOX.png

2 hours ago, aotta said:

About the Box and printed manual, for the Original RTO version (the size and box are different from the 5-11under resized one) is in progress an high quality production with resin shell, printed box and manual, but it seems the final price will be higher (over 150$), as the team that's working on it intend to make a kind of collector's product. Below a picture of the actual box (the author sent me a courtesy copy, but haven't yet received ;) )

I'm confused? Is price about a 85€ as earlier said or over 150€? I can justify myself to buying multicart with 85€, but over 150€ is just too much. Is there two different versions?

Edited by utri007

7 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

Thanks!😊

I keep forgetting that people love their boxes...

I do need to design a box for an Intellivision game anyway, so I guess I could make a box for this, too. The box will look sort of like a classic Intellivision box, with construction similar to a Parker Bros. box. They will be printed locally and assembled by me. At the same time, there will be a manual, likely a single sheet folded once, to make a 4 page manual. I think that will suffice... I'll add more pages if required, but it's not like we need too many pretty pictures to show gameplay and backstory. All cutting, folding, and assembly of the boxes will be done by me, but they will look as good as pretty much anything else, and the box will be strong.

The loose cart is planned to be introduced at $85 USD. That might also include a manual (or will be a download), except that the manual is more complicated to mail. The box (with manual of course) will be extra. I don't know how much yet. I feel confident that the maximum would be $15 USD. I'll have these ready for sale at the same time as the cartridge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, aotta said:

Waiting for 5-11under for answering about it's smaller version, i can confirm that manual is uploaded in official project's github page: https://github.com/aotta/RTO-Cart/blob/main/RTO_FLASH_CART_User_Manual-(EN).pdf

Please make a new thread for this, or post it in the other RTO thread. This is confusing people.

1 minute ago, 5-11under said:

I keep forgetting that people love their boxes...

I do need to design a box for an Intellivision game anyway, so I guess I could make a box for this, too. The box will look sort of like a classic Intellivision box, with construction similar to a Parker Bros. box. They will be printed locally and assembled by me. At the same time, there will be a manual, likely a single sheet folded once, to make a 4 page manual. I think that will suffice... I'll add more pages if required, but it's not like we need too many pretty pictures to show gameplay and backstory. All cutting, folding, and assembly of the boxes will be done by me, but they will look as good as pretty much anything else, and the box will be strong.

The loose cart is planned to be introduced at $85 USD. That might also include a manual (or will be a download), except that the manual is more complicated to mail. The box (with manual of course) will be extra. I don't know how much yet. I feel confident that the maximum would be $15 USD. I'll have these ready for sale at the same time as the cartridge.

Talk to @Rev, I'm sure he'll work something out for a boxed release.

-dZ.

9 minutes ago, utri007 said:

I'm confused? Is price about a 85€ as earlier said or over 150€? I can justify myself to buying multicart with 85€, but over 150€ is just too much. Is there two different versions?

I was talking about a different production, more expensive, not the +5-11under one!

3 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

Please make a new thread for this, or post it in the other RTO thread. This is confusing people.

I think having the manual is useful for people..  and the project it's mine, it sounds funny you ask me not to write about it 😂

14 minutes ago, utri007 said:

Mine will be maximum $85 USD for the cartridge, and maximum $15 for the box/manual.

Pictures of my cart are here: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/348005-rto-my-production-take-on-the-multicart/?do=findComment&comment=5251560

Internals (slightly outdated) are here: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/348005-rto-my-production-take-on-the-multicart/?do=findComment&comment=522341

4 minutes ago, aotta said:

I think having the manual is useful for people..  and the project it's mine, it sounds funny you ask me not to write about it 😂

Some would say funny, some would not. Mostly, though, it seems to be confusing people.

The other thread is more general. Alternately, you could create your own thread, and post pictures, links, etc. of versions made by all sorts of people.

13 minutes ago, 5-11under said:

Some would say funny, some would not. Mostly, though, it seems to be confusing people.

The other thread is more general. Alternately, you could create your own thread, and post pictures, links, etc. of versions made by all sorts of people.

i meant it was funny from you, you get my hardware and software, rewrite the schematic with SMD chips instead of THT (i could make it in ten minutes), didn't left my name on the label and are going to sell a product without my permission (and i won't give you it if you won't put it opensource as from Github license), letting you and your future buyers in an unlawful situation.

Others who are building the RTO don't stop thanking me and giving me gifts, you ask me not to post on your thread? it seems really insulting or at least ungrateful of you.

It's over 6 months you are working at "your production" of RTO, and no ETA is given... i'm afraid it's that that may confusing people.

Quick update...

1. I've ordered a bunch of the longer lead-time and cheaper components.
  2. I've requested quotes for a batch of boards, in two different quantities. I'll order those within a day or two.
  3. Label redesigned, with end portion rotated 180 degrees, and text that states "RTO Intellivision multicart / 5-11under version / based on the aotta original".
  4. As mentioned at the start, upon product release, the source code will be released, being a fork of aotta's open source work.
  5. I found my old test box (about 7x5.5x1), and it's held up well over the past year (ignore all the large and small scratches - that was my doing, on some old and bad sample material). Ignore the"Blix 2017" info - that's old. :)  I need to design an insert for it, but I've got the basic plans for that already.
  6. box.jpg.b1e2af9ddc01ebf7ea4607bd39f7531e.jpg
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RockLobster said:

@aotta @5-11under , quick question regarding the RTO multicart compared to the Backbit.io cart.   What are some functional differences from an end user's experience / functionality?   Thanks.

I can only answer with that the Backbit seems to be 100% compatible with all 125 plus 99% of Homebrews i have tried. 

2 hours ago, IntellivisionDude said:

I can only answer with that the Backbit seems to be 100% compatible with all 125 plus 99% of Homebrews i have tried. 

That's fantastic!  Possibly another dumb question incoming...

Why are people waiting for the LTO messiah to return or the RTO to be made available if the state of newly made and supported INTV flashcarts is so dismal?

I'm not trying to stir things up.  I'm a new Intellivision user and don't have the history of most everyone here.

Backbit and RTO have almost the same compatibility, but are different concepts: the first is a multiplatform flash based multicart, and need its proprietary roms file format to run. The second is an intellivision only multicart based on sdcard storage, and use jzintv bin+cfg files.

LTO is a flash based multicart with addicted cryptographic and new other functions to Inty, and its needed to play some specific homebrew new games designed for LTO.

Why people should wait for? They shouldn't, jzintv is free and you can play all intellivision games on your PC.

But, i prefer to play chess with my old intellivision, using that strange golden controllers... And i think I'm not the only one 😜

9 hours ago, RockLobster said:

@aotta @5-11under , quick question regarding the RTO multicart compared to the Backbit.io cart.   What are some functional differences from an end user's experience / functionality?   Thanks.

The Backbit supports rom files that use jlp hardware acceleration and jlp save game features.

The Backbit has an Intellivision on screen menu for file selection while the RTO uses a display and buttons on the cartridge.  The RTO menu system is limited to one level subfolders.

And as Aotta pointed out, the RTO supports common .cfg files for memory maps.  The Backbit requires .rom file format for cartridge roms with non standard memory maps or conversion to a proprietary rom format for features not supported by .rom.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The Backbit supports rom files that use jlp hardware acceleration and jlp save game feature.

AFAIK and as Backbit's creators wrote here, it support only jlp save game feature, not the hardware acceleration.