IGNORED

BigPEmu - why does it not run well?

Class316

2 minutes ago, crash said:

I think you need to go to the Intel site and see if they have a driver installer or something for your Xeon chipset. Sounds like something important might be missing.

Thanks. Guess I'll try. This looks like the place: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

Edited by Class316

3 minutes ago, crash said:

What is your motherboard or computer?

From the same app

PROCESSOR

Intel® Core™ i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHz

Motherboard: 

Manufacturer

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Model
B365M DS3H WIFI

Version
x.x

Looks like this is their support site? https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/Motherboard
Edited by Class316

W10 or W11?

Windows 10

I looked at the site

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B365M-DS3H-WIFI-rev-1x/support#support-dl-driver

Gives a lot of stuff I'm afraid to tamper with. There's audio drivers but these should be taken care of with nividia updates.

Edited by Class316

The Intel INF installation should be harmless. It adds some text files that Windows can use to identify Intel hardware. After you do that, trying to update the driver on that exclaimed hardware item or removing it and rescanning should hopefully allow Windows to install the driver correctly.

11 minutes ago, crash said:

That's it! the 1901 PCIe controller at least

Guess it was it! I went ahead and did all of them and the ! is now gone! Thanks!

But didn't fix BigPEmu. Still the same jerky sound :( Even did a restart for good measure. 

Edited by Class316

It can definitely matter with Blue Lightning because A) There are some bad images with errors in the sound data and B) CD game performance can be improved by altering CD Seek Speed and Full Image Caching.

You might want to open Resource Monitor and look at it when you are doing nothing. Your system CPU usage should be just a couple of percentage if you are idle, and if anything is causing spikes then there is a badly behaving program or service running in the background. Then leave Resource Monitor running when you test a game, then go back to it and check to see if there are spikes in the CPU, memory, or disk activity.

If your computer is not fast enough for BigPEmu for any reason, you will see the CPU usage totally maxed. It should not be able to do that on your system, but it is best to check for it. My 10 year old I7 4770k usually runs at about 40% usage under BigPEmu, while I think the VCS uses more like 60%.

Also, what resolution are you running in, and what mode (Full screen/Window/Borderless window)?

It can definitely matter with Blue Lightning because A) There are some bad images with errors in the sound data and B) CD game performance can be improved by altering CD Seek Speed and Full Image Caching.

You might want to open Resource Monitor and look at it when you are doing nothing. Your system CPU usage should be just a couple of percentage if you are idle, and if anything is causing spikes then there is a badly behaving program or service running in the background. Then leave Resource Monitor running when you test a game, then go back to it and check to see if there are spikes in the CPU, memory, or disk activity.

If your computer is not fast enough for BigPEmu for any reason, you will see the CPU usage totally maxed. It should not be able to do that on your system, but it is best to check for it. My 10 year old I7 4770k usually runs at about 40% usage under BigPEmu, while I think the VCS uses more like 60%.

Also, what resolution are you running in, and what mode (Full screen/Window/Borderless window)?

Cart or CD, same problem. 

Yep like 2% when nothing and about 30% when running Wolfenstein on the emulator. 

Right now all the defaults. Rez is 800x600x32. Windowed or full does nothing. Same problem as I showcased in the video running Wolfenstein.

It seems to me like the emulator just doesn't like my hardware :(

5 minutes ago, crash said:

Maybe try running a test to see if your OpenGL is working properly

https://geeks3d.com/furmark/

It shouldn't be having audio problems like that with the CPU not maxed out, so there must be another system involved.

What am I supposed to do? The GPU stress test? Says do it "at your own risk"

I think it's a higher problem than sound. It seems to run games slow and the sound jerkiness is just the most visible effect of this. 

Edited by Class316

It is harmless unless you run the stress test for hours without adequate system cooling, because it will make your GPU work hard so your system and power supply can be stressed

You don't need to do that, you would just want to try a GPU benchmark at your normal resolution.

It could be that your system is not using hardware acceleration for the graphics, so Furmark will indicate how Open GL is running. I have a GTX660 and my 1080p score is 1778

2 minutes ago, crash said:

It is harmless unless you run the stress test for hours without adequate system cooling, because it will make your GPU work hard so your system and power supply can be stressed

You don't need to do that, you would just want to try a GPU benchmark at your normal resolution.

It could be that your system is not using hardware acceleration for the graphics, so Furmark will indicate how Open GL is running. I have a GTX660 and my 1080p score is 1778

I installed Furmark and I'm running it, this is what I get. I need to do what exactly?

gpu.jpg

Click under GPU Benchmarks where it says Preset: 1080 or 720, wait a minute or two for it to make its test run, then see what the score is in the window that appears afterwards. If it is running like 2 frames per second instead of 20 or 30, that may mean there is an OpenGL problem.

7 minutes ago, crash said:

Click under GPU Benchmarks where it says Preset: 1080 or 720, wait a minute or two for it to make its test run, then see what the score is in the window that appears afterwards. If it is running like 2 frames per second instead of 20 or 30, that may mean there is an OpenGL problem.

Looks flawless to me

furmark.jpg

Have to leave the PC now so I won't be able to respond till later. But damn I am stumped at why this emulator that everyone says is perfect isn't for me. 

Edited by Class316