IGNORED

BigPEmu - why does it not run well?

Class316

So I was looking at BigPEmu on youtube and thought "oh wow a perfect Jag emu". I have Phoenix which runs very well on my PC. But when I try BigPEmu it's slow and the sound is jerky. I tried playing with the settings but to no avail. Does this emu simply have high system reqs?

Intel Core I5 and 8gb ram. I would think that's plenty for a Jaguar? 

I’ve run BigPemu on two different Win 10 laptops, including a crusty old first generation i3.  I also have it installed on a Ryzen laptop with Win 11.
It runs quite well on all three, with none of the issues you describe.

Something on your machine conflicts with BigPEmu.  I would try running Windows in Safe Mode and have as few other processes as possible going.  Is BigPEmu still stuttering then?

I have an AMD A10 on Win 10, from memory it didn't even break a sweat running BigPemu, something like 80% CPU time idle. Core i5==AMD A10 so no idea what the problem is for OP.

BigPemu is one of the best emulators I have used, it is on a par with VICE x64 easily for simple no nonsense 'it just works' and not complicated to use, apart from a lack of emulator based video capture built in (easily fixed with screen capture software is it so efficient in CPU usage) it's as perfect as emulators come by far.

CD emulation is also a piece of cake. It really was one of the best emulators I have tried, a lot less messing about than with most emulators.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oky2000 said:

BigPemu is one of the best emulators I have used, it is on a par with VICE x64 easily for simple no nonsense 'it just works' and not complicated to use, apart from a lack of emulator based video capture built in (easily fixed with screen capture software is it so efficient in CPU usage) it's as perfect as emulators come by far.

Yes BigPemu is super easy.   Although my experience with Vice is it needs a lot of configuration and never 'just works' right out of the box :)

I tried safe mode the emu wouldn't even start. But it's irrelevant because the main culprit is jerky sound and I don't get sound on safe mode. 

I tried deleting the config files and using a fresh unzip for BigPemu, but still the same. I sound is absolutely horrid and jerky. 

The startup sound of the emulator as soon as you start it is fine.

I don't get this from other emulators, and I've tried pretty much everything older than PS3. Including Jag emulation on Phoenix which runs flawlessly. And I just tried 4DO for the first time (a 3DO emu) and it ran fine. I've even played CD-i on MAME.

As for CD emulation, the only thing I tried was Blue Lightning and the graphics were all buggy. I couldn't see the background. But I am guessing this is becuase CD emulation is not 100%?

Edited by Class316

1 hour ago, zzip said:

Yes BigPemu is super easy.   Although my experience with Vice is it needs a lot of configuration and never 'just works' right out of the box :)

Never had that problem in the last 2 decades, download, extract, click on x64.exe, drag and drop any T64/D64/TAP file on the active window and it works. It is the least problematic emulator in the world, there is no config at all except for things like assigning keys to joystick functions/changing the gamma of the palette to look like a real C64 on a real CRT TV etc but nothing that stops you playing games within seconds really. 

16 minutes ago, Class316 said:

I tried safe mode the emu wouldn't even start. But it's irrelevant because the main culprit is jerky sound and I don't get sound on safe mode. 

I tried deleting the config files and using a fresh unzip for BigPemu, but still the same. I sound is absolutely horrid and jerky. 

The startup sound of the emulator as soon as you start it is fine.

I don't get this from other emulators, and I've tried pretty much everything older than PS3. Including Jag emulation on Phoenix which runs flawlessly. And I just tried 4DO for the first time (a 3DO emu) and it ran fine. I've even played CD-i on MAME.

As for CD emulation, the only thing I tried was Blue Lightning and the graphics were all buggy. I couldn't see the background. But I am guessing this is because CD emulation is not 100%?

There's probably something running in the background conflicting like others have mentioned.  May be time for a fresh install of Windows.  Hunt down the latest drivers too.  Also, don't expect miracles from integrated graphics.

"It worked before" and "other programs are fine" don't mean much to Microsoft.  It deteriorates over time.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Class316 said:

I don't get this from other emulators, and I've tried pretty much everything older than PS3. Including Jag emulation on Phoenix which runs flawlessly. And I just tried 4DO for the first time (a 3DO emu) and it ran fine. 

As for CD emulation, the only thing I tried was Blue Lightning and the graphics were all buggy. I couldn't see the background. But I am guessing this is becuase CD emulation is not 100%?

Out of curiosity, I fired it up and here are the results. The music glitches out as soon as I start firing but no buggy graphics. Yeah, it's not 100% perfect and I don't think Rich ever claimed it was but I'm not seeing quite the same results as you are describing.

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian

6 minutes ago, oky2000 said:

Never had that problem in the last 2 decades, download, extract, click on x64.exe, drag and drop any T64/D64/TAP file on the active window and it works. It is the least problematic emulator in the world, there is no config at all except for things like assigning keys to joystick functions/changing the gamma of the palette to look like a real C64 on a real CRT TV etc but nothing that stops you playing games within seconds really. 

I see so you are using a pre-built one that somebody probably put reasonable defaults into.   

I build it from source and by default it usually has an aspect ratio that's way off,  the menus don't work right it takes some crazy command-line parameters and other issues.  I beat it into submission eventually, but it's more work than most other emulators.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Class316 said:

So I was looking at BigPEmu on youtube and thought "oh wow a perfect Jag emu". I have Phoenix which runs very well on my PC. But when I try BigPEmu it's slow and the sound is jerky. I tried playing with the settings but to no avail. Does this emu simply have high system reqs?

I run BIGPEmu on an Atari VCS in Windows/PC mode and its full speed, full compatability and even lets me do all the fun whiz bang overclocking stuff. Surely the VCS is less powerfull than your PC?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gemintronic said:

There's probably something running in the background conflicting like others have mentioned.  May be time for a fresh install of Windows.  Hunt down the latest drivers too.  Also, don't expect miracles from integrated graphics.

"It worked before" and "other programs are fine" don't mean much to Microsoft.  It deteriorates over time.

Well I'm not doing a fresh install just for one emulator. Especially when most every other emulator works great. Including Phoenix which runs Jaguar. 

3 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

Out of curiosity, I fired it up and here are the results. The music glitches out as soon as I start firing but no buggy graphics. Yeah, it's not 100% perfect and I don't think Rich ever claimed it was but I'm not seeing quite the same results as you are describing.

That's pretty much what I get graphically speaking. But not such great sound. I thought it had grounds and buildings? 

Just now, Class316 said:

Well I'm not doing a fresh install just for one emulator. Especially when most every other emulator works great. Including Phoenix which runs Jaguar. 

That's pretty much what I get graphically speaking. But not such great sound. I thought it had grounds and buildings? 

Depends on the level - the sky missions are just a blue gradient background but there are missions with ground. Can't remember which ones as it's been 15+ years since I played the game (as you could probably tell!). Otherwise, game looks the same as I remember it on real hardware.

1 minute ago, Class316 said:

The point was: Windows gets slower and more error prone over time.  Chances are there are other problems that you haven't realized. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Class316 said:

I have an i5 and an i7 and it is heavy on the resources.  My CPU fan runs high when BigP is running.  With certain filter effects, it barely moves.  By default, it runs full screen.  Sorry if I missed it... did you try running it in a window instead of full screen?  That helps me a little.

Any exclamation points in your device manager? What are your sound and GPU devices? I've seen this problem with a missing driver related to audio hardware acceleration. Others have had it when their GPU was not rendering properly due to an opengl issue causing software rendering. Try testing your gpu with Furmark. Also probably for a Windows update check to consider other drivers that could be out of date.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, crash said:

Any exclamation points in your device manager? What are your sound and GPU devices? I've seen this problem with a missing driver related to audio hardware acceleration. Others have had it when their GPU was not rendering properly due to an opengl issue causing software rendering. Try testing your gpu with Furmark. Also probably for a Windows update check to consider other drivers that could be out of date.

I did windows update yesterday before trying out the emulator, and I just updated my nvidia graphics card drivers to see if that does anything but no. Same thing. Seems there is one exclamation point. "base system device"

Here is my device manager showing both that and all graphics and sound stuff.

device.jpg

Edited by Class316

I would be interested to know what that exclaimed Base System Device is. It could indicated missing chipset drivers. I don't know if you might consider seeing if there are chipset drivers for your motherboard to install, since Windows isn't identifying the thing. Maybe if you have optional devices plugged into your system, unplug them and see if that goes away, otherwise it is something inside that probably will help your computer if it gets the right driver. My VCS was performing horribly with BigPEmu because "Multimedia Controller" in the device manager was missing a driver. I had to install an AMD chipset driver package to discover it was actually an audio hardware acceleration device, since neither the Windows installation nor Windows update could identify what it was supposed to be.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, crash said:

I would be interested to know what that exclaimed Base System Device is. It could indicated missing chipset drivers. I don't know if you might consider seeing if there are chipset drivers for your motherboard to install, since Windows isn't identifying the thing. Maybe if you have optional devices plugged into your system, unplug them and see if that goes away, otherwise it is something inside that probably will help your computer if it gets the right driver. My VCS was performing horribly with BigPEmu because "Multimedia Controller" in the device manager was missing a driver. I had to install an AMD chipset driver package to discover it was actually an audio hardware acceleration device, since neither the Windows installation nor Windows update could identify what it was supposed to be.

How can I find out? Best thing from looking into it this is about all I could find:

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1911&SUBSYS_50001458&REV_00\3&11583659&0&40 requires further installation.

Could that be it? https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/Unknown-device/m-p/1266225

What's the best way to install chipset drives without destroying things?

Edited by Class316