IGNORED

What could it be?

Songbird

4 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

I can back that up as well. Valenti is a really nice chap to talk with. He supplied me with the unreleased Game Boy Color version of Towers II, which was since been released online by Gaming Alexandria. I don't know what other plans Valenti has currently, but it would be extremely cool if JVGames and Songbird would make a Jaguar version of Towers I: Lord Baniff's Deceit in the future 😀

Sorry i had a brainfart in a part of the comment. Valenti supplied me with promotional material regarding the GBC version. I then hooked up Valenti with Gaming Alexandria and that's how the GBC version is out there since a couple of years. ;)

It was super cool to be there for the unveiling at the Midwest Gaming Classic yesterday.  I've barely spent any time with the original Towers II.  RPGs were never my thing, and I couldn't stand them when Towers II came out.  But I've played through several of the biggest RPGs in recent years and have a much better appreciation now.  I can't wait to check out the enhanced Towers II, and I'll have to delve into the original in the meantime!

• Like 2

Well, I was out of town for the Midwest Gaming Classic when we made the announcement, then only got home at midnight last night and crashed... so it will take me a bit of time to get proper screenshots and footage online. I'd tell my social media manager to do it, but since that would be me telling me, it won't really get done any faster. ;)

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Until we get a closer look at the game, here is a closer look at the cover artwork :)

Thank you to Songbird for the commission and JV Games for allowing me to be a part of this game's re-release.  It's always a great feeling to help breath new life into one of my favorite consoles.  Seeing a title that was skipped by most at the time get a second pass is always a great feeling.  This game definitely deserves that second pass.

I remember my brother picking this one up at a local game store.  One of the few stores around the year 2000 that still cared enough about the Jaguar to stock a few of these late-comers to the console.  Since then, I've played this game on and off, always enjoying the atmosphere of lurking unease, and the approachable mechanics of the game. If you haven't played this one because of the current price and/or availability issues, don't miss out on this experience this time around.

I'm going to plan on giving this enhanced version a bit more time myself.  Perhaps I'll even take the time to complete it this time around, or at least play it on stream at the JagCorner sometime here in the future.

• Like 11

As someone who picked up T2 on cart back in the day and finished the game, I'm super stoked about this - also a little bit relieved as I had forgot about the blue orb being a spell in the game and was thinking it was going to be a remaster of Bubsy :P 

One thing I also look forward to is playing through the unfinished level (it was 10 or 11) that was blocked off except for a small hallway between stairs. It always bugged me that you couldn't get that spell that must have been in there...

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

One thing I also look forward to is playing through the unfinished level (it was 10 or 11) that was blocked off except for a small hallway between stairs. It always bugged me that you couldn't get that spell that must have been in there...

I have completed this game on at least a couple of times, and I do not remember an area you could not access.

10 minutes ago, jeremiahjt said:

I have completed this game on at least a couple of times, and I do not remember an area you could not access.

I'll have to dig up my cart and look at the save. Pretty sure there's one level that was mostly blocked off near the end of the game, excepting that small hallway I mentioned. Remember checking it for secrets all the time but looking at the map, you couldn't go into 95% of the level. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

Pretty exciting.   What changes did they do for this remaster?    Finish the game?   flesh out and populate the game more with enemies?

For some reason this isn't apparent, but you can get the full list of updates on https://www.jvgames.com/retro.html You have to scroll down to Towers II and then click on the Jaguar logo in the lower right. 

Here's what's in the link--

GAME ENHANCEMENTS
Screen enlarged to 320x220 from 320x200
Optimized assembly code that runs about 10%-15% faster
Rewrite of GPU visible fustrum algorithm for better culling
Replaced dungeon graphics (walls, floors, ceilings and doors)
Upgraded to a 4Meg cart
Added vocals from the PC version
Graphics are now "perspective corrected"
Save game on a 2k EEPROM now
Changed the title screen, added short FMV from the GBC version
Several puzzle changes & cleanups throughout the game
Tightened and cleaned up movement controls
A,B,C and Option buttons are now customizable
works with Pro-controller
Inventory assist will wisk items to inventory panel for quick inventory functions
Open & close doors and pull chains in movement mode via the attack button
All items now display weight and stats
Spells and weapons that monsters are immune to will be stated when attacking
Important NPCs can not be accidentally eliminated, until they outlive their usefulness
Monster AI improvements from PC version added
Added additional automap details like pits, chains, teleports and holes in ceilings
Status appear above enemy's head when hitting them
Running into NPCs will now activate vocals and text
Holding items in your joystick "hand", will auto trade with NPCs
Added new better looking fonts
New end of game visuals
New in-game map graphic
Merton - the magic user - gets a spell at start of game
NPCs no longer walk away when you are talking to them

• Like 8

Thanks for pointing out the list! That looks pretty comprehensive, except for the big late addition of 24-bit CRY graphics which was just delivered a couple weeks ago. We also found and fixed a few visual glitches which existed in the original ROM and were still present in the Enhanced version.

Yes this sounds really cool. I only finished the game once but for a short period of time I was kind of obsessed with it. I can't quite put the finger on it but somehow the game managed to feel bigger as it was. I think I only used the levitation spell once to get out of  a pit or through a hole in the ceiling or something but this left the door white open for the possibility that there might be a secret space or something and looking for new weapons and items. Anyway, very cool to get a new version so many years later, might be the right time for another playthrough. :)

Cool list of enhancements, I didn't see it on the page either, so thanks for posting.

• Like 2

I didn't play the original much. Initial impression was "Wow, this looks amazing!" followed by "Wow, every other frame is missing!"

Initial impression after seeing comparison shots with remaster was why is everything so bright, followed by, hey, now I'll actually be able to see what's happening instead of being lost in a murky swamp.

• Like 2