IGNORED

Announcing Towers II Enhanced Stargazer Edition

Songbird

3 hours ago, Saturn said:

Was playing last night! Killed my 1st guard with a mop to get the short sword 🗡️ then on to the bow and a quill of arrows. Forgot those weren't unlimited and ran out after shooting them all over the place.

Tried ye ol' cheat code for God mode from the original and it didn't work😳

What's the new code, Carl?!?

(All good, I'ma rough it)

Wait… there was a God Mode? (Screams into a wormhole going back 25 years)

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Songbird said:

I know we've posted some videos showing the CRY lighting effect, but here are some screens all taken while traversing a long hallway. You can see it gets quite dark as you move away from the light source. :)

image.thumb.png.7c1e2c5ee4179f5efc984a7f6834d55e.png

It's amazing how this photo and your simple description of it, strikes me as more impressive than much of the Jag-era magazine hype I've seen. "It's capable of rendering 58-gaZILLION polygons!" Sounds cool I guess, but I have no frame of reference for that. However, walking down a sparsely-lit hallway? That's relatable to anyone with 2 functioning eyes (hell, even 1). An effect like that adds an element of realism that would've been unfathomable on prior-gen consoles.

Sometimes it's the simple things that hit harder.

• Like 5

I did, but I just assumed the eyes were removed so as not to distract from the logo on the actual cover art.  Who lent their likeness to the image?  It's a great look.

To me, the enemy life gauges are the best improvement.  In the original version, there was no way to see the amount of damage each strike was dealing.  And that, coupled with frequently-missed attacks, made the combat unnecessarily frustrating.  This new version adds a bit of tension, because you can see that there's just a sliver of your enemy's life left, but you're also nearly toast, and you just need to land that one last hit before they do you in...

• Like 3

On 9/7/2023 at 8:41 PM, Songbird said:

Signature Edition owners:

Did you notice the alternate cover artwork on the back side of the postcard?

What stands out to you the most so far about the in-game updates?

I just thought that was marketing art, was that alt art that was originally considered back in the 90's?

• Like 1

The Towers II Enhanced cover art was made brand new by William Thorup, and he did a fantastic job as always. He submitted both designs as final options. The "eyes" one would have been difficult to properly show on the box cover, so we kept it as an alternative.

I definitely agree about the health bars! Never would have thought of something like that back in the day, but it's such a good quality of life improvement. That, and now you actually get a message saying "Your attack did no damage!" or something like that when you try to hit the high-defense enemies in the later levels. So you have a strong feedback loop to let you know how you're doing in combat.

• Like 6