IGNORED

Cave 1K (new homebrew minigame)

Thomas Jentzsch

But I still don't see how we are supposed to distinguish between the old version high scores which are red and the competition scores which are only green until you beat the high score and then they are red too?

Oops, you are right, there is a problem! I'll fix that tomorrow.

I like the new gravity for the competition game it seems like you fall a lot faster which lets you get around the longer lines faster. The only PROBLEM I have with that is you don't recover or pull up fast enough when you are falling. Is that the only difference other than not being random lines? There probly isn't any more room after this version is polished is there? Get all of the scores working right and you are pretty much done, eh?

You should change the gravity a little bit so when you are falling and hit the button, you go up faster. I am finding when you start going down and up over and under the lines you will hit the button but it won't respond for a second and you run in to the wall too easy. Version 5 is about TWICE AS HARD as version 4.

-Brad Karston

Hi, I was just looking at the minigame competition pagehttp://www.ffd2.com/minigame/ and it looks like there is a 1k game for the 400/800 that looks EXACTLY like this one only better graphics. This one is called Superfly 1k Who came up with the idea first Matthias Luedtke or you?

Just wondering

-Brad Karston

The idea of the game? It's just based on that java copter game we all were playing a while ago

Hi, I was just looking at the minigame competition pagehttp://www.ffd2.com/minigame/ and it looks like there is a 1k game for the 400/800 that looks EXACTLY like this one only better graphics. This one is called Superfly 1k Who came up with the idea first Matthias Luedtke or you?

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.p...ly+entry#410831 :D

I like the new gravity for the competition game it seems like you fall a lot faster which lets you get around the longer lines faster. The only PROBLEM I have with that is you don't recover or pull up fast enough when you are falling.

If have only increased the throttle and gravity by about 11%. Currently the gravity rate is 1/3 larger than the throttle power rate (as it always was before). The helicopter must get a bit faster than in 1.04, because else at maximum difficulty it would become too slow.

Is that the only difference other than not being random lines? There probly isn't any more room after this version is polished is there? Get all of the scores working right and you are pretty much done, eh?

Yup, the 1K version is finished then.

You should change the gravity a little bit so when you are falling and hit the button, you go up faster. I am finding when you start going down and up over and under the lines you will hit the button but it won't respond for a second and you run in to the wall too easy. Version 5 is about TWICE AS HARD as version 4.

That much? Version 1.04 had the values 27 for throttle and 36 for non-throttle. For 1.05 I changed that into 30 and 40, 1.06 will have 30 and 38 (so the ration between climbing and falling speed will be a little bit less assymetrical), maybe that's closer to the perfect balance.

Check this site out

http://www.reservoir-gods.com/

they made a version of the copter game awhile ago and they have these features:

With multiple game types including an epic story mode, 21 high score tables, a picture gallery and saveable replays, SuperFly will keep flying high for weeks.

The key feature here is the epic story mode. I will play this sometime soon and report just how epic it is.

I can see an 8k version of this.... :P

-mike

• Like 1

I just tried version 6 and I still don't like the gravity. it seems like you should fall slower with a smaller nonthrottle. you said it was 40 in ver. 5 and 38 in ver. 6? I think it falls way too fast. You should get back to more like version 4. That still has to be my favorite and most playable. Nobody wants to keep playing from the beginning over and over again, I like to be able to make it pretty far on one guy without a lot of failures first.

Did you get that score with ver. 6?

I just tried version 6 and I still don't like the gravity. it seems like you should fall slower with a smaller nonthrottle. you said it was 40 in ver. 5 and 38 in ver. 6? I think it falls way too fast. You should get back to more like version 4. That still has to be my favorite and most playable.

Yes, it was a bit easier at the beginning, but the helicopter was just a little bit to slow to master the highest difficulty level.

Nobody wants to keep playing from the beginning over and over again, I like to be able to make it pretty far on one guy without a lot of failures first.

It was 36 in v1.04, so I wonder how it suddenly seems to be way too fast now. :?

Any comments from others who compared both :?:

Did you get that score with ver. 6?

Yup. Almost too easy now. :)

I guess I will sit down and try to get used to ver. 6. I guess I just get pissed off really easy when I die a lot of times. I will sink some time into it and give it a fair shake. I guess i am just used to the earlier versions. It doesn't seem like people are too fired up about this thread anymore. Where has everyone gone?

• 2 weeks later...

Thomas,

I just played 1.06 for the first time and I think it's perfect...I wouldn't change anything else at this point. Besides, if you keep changing little details eventually you're going to go mad. :)

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this yet, but I also really like the touch of how the helicopter blades spin faster when you're ascending.

As far as names, I was thinking 'Lost Choplifter' would be pretty funny...or 'Choplifter meets Vanguard'. :)

Ben

I just played 1.06 for the first time and I think it's perfect...I wouldn't change anything else at this point.  

Ah, the first one, who likes the current parameters. :D

But I am not sure if I will submit the game to next years Minigame competition with those parameters. While they are IMO very good for replay value they might be a bit too hard for an occasional player who just plays the game for a few minutes to evaluate it. So I added a compiler switch for easier parameters. :)

Besides, if you keep changing little details eventually you're going to go mad. :)

Yes, I think it's ok now. But those little details sometimes can make a huge difference.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this yet, but I also really like the touch of how the helicopter blades spin faster when you're ascending.

Actually you are the first one who mentioned that. The effects is really dead simple, I am just animating the blades twice as fast.

As far as names, I was thinking 'Lost Choplifter' would be pretty funny...or 'Choplifter meets Vanguard'. :)

Thanks, written down too.

Currently there are are more than 15 names on my list and I have absolutely no idea which one I will finally chose... :?