IGNORED

Cave 1K (new homebrew minigame)

Thomas Jentzsch

Hi there!

Well, the speed is non random, but the walls are moving (right difficulty switch = A). :)

Totally amazing what (positive!) difference the moving walls make. You should make this the default mode!

Say, I don't remember if it was said somewhere before in this thread, but did you ever try to move the walls at a higher precission (i.e. update them twice as often as the playfield, but only move it half the distance)? I think this'd look less stressfull for the eyes.

Another idea I have for the shading: Instead of switching from color to color you could smoothly scroll the other color in. No big deal actually, but this'd be one a little more impressive effect for the compo I think :)

And is this one flickering pixel at the tail of the heli intentional? As is, I'd assume it'll look more like a raster-interupt bug for the C64 audience, than like a tail rotor... ;)

Greetings,

Manuel

Totally amazing what (positive!) difference the moving walls make. You should make this the default mode!

Hm, I am not sure about this, the moving walls make the game much harder when the walls get taller. I don't think you can get even close to the highscores of the non-moving version. Maybe that would be too frustrating (especially for those who don't want to invest too much time in testing).

Say, I don't remember if it was said somewhere before in this thread, but did you ever try to move the walls at a higher precission (i.e. update them twice as often as the playfield, but only move it half the distance)? I think this'd look less stressfull for the eyes.

Yes, I tried that, but IMO it didn't look good at all. The wall and cave movement looked somehow decoupled then.

Another idea I have for the shading: Instead of switching from color to color you could smoothly scroll the other color in. No big deal actually, but this'd be one a little more impressive effect for the compo I think :)

Yes, I had that idea too, but I couldn't find an efficient solution.

And is this one flickering pixel at the tail of the heli intentional? As is, I'd assume it'll look more like a raster-interupt bug for the C64 audience, than like a tail rotor... ;)

:) I wanted some movement there, maybe you have a better idea?

Hi there!

Hm, I am not sure about this, the moving walls make the game much harder when the walls get taller. I don't think you can get even close to the highscores of the non-moving version. Maybe that would be too frustrating (especially for those who don't want to invest too much time in testing).

Hm... but people have seen the "static" variant often enough by now. Especially in the contest, were we have seen two submissions of it last year alone.

Yes, I tried that, but IMO it didn't look good at all. The wall and cave movement looked somehow decoupled then.

Hm... too jittery? Even at higher speeds?

:) I wanted some movement there, maybe you have a better idea?

Hm... I'll try some things tonight :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hm... but people have seen the "static" variant often enough by now. Especially in the contest, were we have seen two submissions of it last year alone.

Hm, that's a good argument. And since I want to submit a version with easier parameters anyway, the moving walls might not be too difficult.

Hm... too jittery? Even at higher speeds?

At higher speeds, both move IMO quite smooth anyway.

And currently I am down to zero bytes again. :)

Hi there!

Hm, IMO the tail proportions are getting wrong now.

5*5 is the smallest grid where you get a good lookin rotor animation done with 2 frames IMHO. If it were 3 frames, it'd work on 4*4, but I guess a third frame is out of question?

##.#

.###

###. 

#.##

.##.

####

####

.##.

#.##

###. 

.###

##.#

BTW: How about the second animation?

The top rotor? That one is cool!

Greetings,

Manuel

5*5 is the smallest grid where you get a good lookin rotor animation done with 2 frames IMHO. If it were 3 frames, it'd work on 4*4, but I guess a third frame is out of question?

Maybe it is possible if I copy the graphic data into RAM and manipulate it there.

The top rotor? That one is cool!

No, the 2nd frame. :)

Hi there!

4*5 and 3*5 might both do. I can try that easily - tonight...

The smaller, the better. Maybe even as small as 2*3.

Finally.

Ok, 4*5 still seems to be an "acceptable" rotation, 3*5 IMHO already sucks and I don't even dare trying 2*3 (Hey, that's only 6, I repeat, _six_ pixels! :o )

Greetings,

Manuel

45cave.gif

35cave.gif