IGNORED

A8PicoCart - UnoCart on a Raspberry Pi Pico

7 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

That's a surprise since you work in the realm of micro, nano and pico for components.

Well you would think I'd know better 🙃

However I've apparently been saying picofarad incorrectly for years as well. Once something gets imprinted in a person's mind it kinda stays that way. In fact I've been making my self say "pico" the correct way for the last 2 days to try to overwrite that faulty memory ;)

3 hours ago, DjayBee said:

It is interesting that in English language pico is pronounced in the original Greek way but micro is not. It simlarly is "mee kro".

English language still baffles me with those "inconsistencies", but I think every language have them. I remember, while taking my first courses in the US, that I was very surprised to learn that "infinite" and "finite" are pronounced totally different...in other matters, I was wondering if the PageUp /PageDown, etc. new hotkeys are going to make it to the official firmware..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, manterola said:

...in other matters, I was wondering if the PageUp /PageDown, etc. new hotkeys are going to make it to the official firmware..

I sure hope so, since I'm finding them to be very handy, and I'm sure others will that also have a TK-II in their system (embedded or otherwise).

EDIT: Also anyone with a stock 1200XL or otherwise will likely find them useful as well, since they are produced with the SHIFT+Function keys.

• Like 1

I've discovered something very interesting with my embedded version of the A8Pico Cart.

It seems that having the computer powered ON blocks access via the USB for either a firmware update or mass storage. This seems unrelated to the RD4 and RD5 lines since I have those out of circuit whenever 5V is coming from the USB connection.

So it might be an influence from the 4.7K pull-ups on the data lines, or some other cartridge pin being pulled up by the computer.

Both the firmware flashing and mass storage work just fine when the computer's power is OFF. And in either case so long as the USB+5V is present the RD lines are not connected. Since the 4053 is an analog switch, any voltage between 0-5V can only pass when the USB+5V control signal is gone and the non-energized normally closed switch makes contact.

576NUCplus4_A8Pico-Cart_schema.thumb.png.3ac9a44fb69bd952539e55a24be02641.png

10 hours ago, mytek said:

It seems that having the computer powered ON blocks access via the USB for either a firmware update or mass storage.

With my modified cart and USB connected, I can turn the Atari on, hold BOOTSEL and press the Pico RESET button to get it into firmware update mode. If the Atari is on and then I plug in the USB cable, mass storage mode does not work even after pressing the cart RESET button due to the firmware seeing the PHI2 signal HIGH. If the Atari is off and USB connected the cart is in mass storage mode, but turning on the Atari causes the Atari to not boot (I presume the gpio pins are not properly set and Atari expects a cart but it's not present).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mozzwald said:

With my modified cart and USB connected, I can turn the Atari on, hold BOOTSEL and press the Pico RESET button to get it into firmware update mode. If the Atari is on and then I plug in the USB cable, mass storage mode does not work even after pressing the cart RESET button due to the firmware seeing the PHI2 signal HIGH. If the Atari is off and USB connected the cart is in mass storage mode, but turning on the Atari causes the Atari to not boot (I presume the gpio pins are not properly set and Atari expects a cart but it's not present).

So it's not just something I'm encountering with my embedded application. That's a very creative work-around you came up with for initiating the firmware update.

Bottom line I don't see any of this as a real problem, since updating of either the firmware or what's in the mass storage via USB still works when the Atari is powered down, and I never looked at this as needing to be update-able on the fly. It was simply a curious behavior that I observed.

Dear all,

I would like to share a project I did for my needs, which is to customize an A8PicoCart for the "Sikor" case (by @Sikor).

I used a template from @Mq., for which many thanks to him :)

a8pico-bottom.thumb.jpg.b0496fdb1c5459c31fc650f72791ee33.jpga8pico-top.thumb.jpg.818adcaa9057ca64d010bc92275a3745.jpg

The chassis also needs a bit of adjusting, i.e. cutting out one "support" that interferes with the USB socket. You can also file the hole for the socket. A hole for the RESET button is also useful ;-)

a8pico-case.thumb.jpg.89e7253f674afb77f9a157870e52aa61.jpg

@electrotrains - if you want and my project meets your quality criteria, you can add to the official repository. I would be honoured :)

I'm attaching the project in KiCad and the gerbers.

Happy New Year!

madness

Sikor case version.zip

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

how i can loads ROM files which needs release the button on the cartridge (some old pl/cz/slovak) carts? i flash newest firmware today

and what about 2km roms?

Edited by w1k

Hi friends, 

I'm struggling making Mozzwald cart functionning...Checked every solder (no pins are bindings together, all contacts between the PICO and card edge connectors are ok according to the schematics. But when I start My A800, or my 130XL, the card is not recognized (the green led on the card is ON).

Didn't received the buttons yet, but don't think this is the cause...

Photos attached. Any advice for me ?

thanks anyway for this great share.

IMG_3448.JPG

IMG_3447.JPG

39 minutes ago, philgood1351fr said:

Hi friends, 

I'm struggling making Mozzwald cart functionning...Checked every solder (no pins are bindings together, all contacts between the PICO and card edge connectors are ok according to the schematics. But when I start My A800, or my 130XL, the card is not recognized (the green led on the card is ON).

IMG_3448.JPG

IMG_3447.JPG

Its upside down, you put the PI in the wrong way wrong, the USB connector should be pointing downward toward the edge connector.-

IGNORE THAT, I thought it was the original Design, this one appears to be redesigned with additional components

Edited by Overange

1 hour ago, philgood1351fr said:

Hi friends, 

Hello, some of your solder joints look questionable. I'd go back over them again.

Mike

image.thumb.jpeg.54e6f59292fe41e02c4746496a9c0ef1.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Firedawg said:

Hello, some of your solder joints look questionable. I'd go back over them again.

Mike

image.thumb.jpeg.54e6f59292fe41e02c4746496a9c0ef1.jpeg

And perhaps apply some liquid flux first ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 10:20 AM, w1k said:

how i can loads ROM files which needs release the button on the cartridge (some old pl/cz/slovak) carts? i flash newest firmware today

is like the turbo 2000 that needs to shut down rd5 ?

On 1/5/2024 at 10:20 AM, w1k said:

and what about 2km roms?

Standard 2k cars (CAR type 57) 57 - Standard 2kb.car

17 hours ago, w1k said:

yes, same carts like turbo 2000

Check and see if the cartridge works completely I just tried it on fast. 😅 You just have to wait a moment for it to automatically shut down rd5.

I attach the new cartridges supported by this version and if you know of another strange cartridge attach it .rom

69 - aDawliah 32kb.car a8_pico_cart.uf2 JNSoft.car Turbo 2000.car

• Like 3

3 hours ago, w1k said:

nice, but im not sure if is good idea modify original ROM for pico cart.. i check it tommorow, maybe today, but jnsoft.car now doesnt work in emulator:)

Update the firmware without fear, these new changes will be sent to the official one. 😉

If you read the whole thread you will see that these cartridges are not fully supported in emulators. That's why the ID is changed so that a8picocart recognizes it well and takes the timer.

• Like 4