IGNORED

A8PicoCart - UnoCart on a Raspberry Pi Pico

1 hour ago, ascrnet said:

Update the firmware without fear, these new changes will be sent to the official one. 😉

If you read the whole thread you will see that these cartridges are not fully supported in emulators. That's why the ID is changed so that a8picocart recognizes it well and takes the timer.

I haven't updated my firmware since the last TK-II specific navigation keys got added to verify this, but have these changes been rolled into this new release? If not, they really should be since this would benefit anyone wanting to use the A8Pico Cart on a 1088XEL, 1088XLD and 576NUC+ with the cartridge option, or anyone with a TK-II installed in a standard Atari 8-bit. It would also affect my upcoming 4-in-One NUCplus4 daughter board add-on for the 576NUC+.

This links to the last TK-II specific build I'm presently using...

9 minutes ago, mytek said:

I haven't updated my firmware since the last TK-II specific navigation keys got added to verify this, but have these changes been rolled into this new release? If not, they really should be since this would benefit anyone wanting to use the A8Pico Cart on a 1088XEL, 1088XLD and 576NUC+ with the cartridge option, or anyone with a TK-II installed in a standard Atari 8-bit. It would also affect my upcoming 4-in-One NUCplus4 daughter board add-on for the 576NUC+.

As those improvements were not uploaded to github they are not in the original firmware, and I don't have the source codes or the TK-II to review and upload them.

Remember that github is being used is being used to upload the changes so that @electrotrains to approve the improvements for the official version. "This does not mean that everyone can make their own version". 😉

1 hour ago, ascrnet said:

As those improvements were not uploaded to github they are not in the original firmware, and I don't have the source codes or the TK-II to review and upload them.

Remember that github is being used is being used to upload the changes so that @electrotrains to approve the improvements for the official version. "This does not mean that everyone can make their own version". 😉

Thanks for the quick response. Hopefully @manterola can submit his changes to github for review and eventual inclusion.

EDIT: You stated that "This does not mean that everyone can make their own version", which is understandable. However if a proposed change has far reaching benefits for several use cases, it really should be included. And although menu navigation might be considered trivial by some, uniformity of a UI is important so that the learning curve between similar applications is minimized. A couple of the most popular applications that fully support the TK-II special navigation keys are: Flashjazzcat's SIDE2, SIDE3, and U1MB BIOS, as well as his "The Last Word" word processor program. These Home, End, Page-Up, Page-Down keys existed long before the TK-II as the Shifted F1-F4 functions keys in the XL/XE OS, and are fully utilized in a stock 1200XL.

3 hours ago, mytek said:

Thanks for the quick response. Hopefully @manterola can submit his changes to github for review and eventual inclusion.

EDIT: You stated that "This does not mean that everyone can make their own version", which is understandable. However if a proposed change has far reaching benefits for several use cases, it really should be included. And although menu navigation might be considered trivial by some, uniformity of a UI is important so that the learning curve between similar applications is minimized. A couple of the most popular applications that fully support the TK-II special navigation keys are: Flashjazzcat's SIDE2, SIDE3, and U1MB BIOS, as well as his "The Last Word" word processor program. These Home, End, Page-Up, Page-Down keys existed long before the TK-II as the Shifted F1-F4 functions keys in the XL/XE OS, and are fully utilized in a stock 1200XL.

Totally agree with you I even thought about adding joy 2B+ support, since it doesn't require anything additional apart from the joystick. But there is only one person who makes the decision to accept improvements to your project and that's not me.😉

• Like 1

I already sent changes to electrotrains thru PM. I have to say that the changes not only help the users of TKII and NUC, but also the users that have functioning keys ">" and "<" in their Atari 8 bit computers ;-).

So basically, everyone will be able to pageup and pagedown the file list in the A8PicoCart.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, manterola said:

I already sent changes to electrotrains thru PM. I have to say that the changes not only help the users of TKII and NUC, but also the users that have functioning keys ">" and "<" in their Atari 8 bit computers ;-).

So basically, everyone will be able to pageup and pagedown the file list in the A8PicoCart.

Perfect, thanks for the clarification. I thought it was only for special hardware. 😉

I too already uploaded the change for the JNSoft cartridge support to github for approval.🤩

Is the AUTORUN feature in the current firmware build?  I'd like to use mine as a standalone BASIC cart with my FujiNet for network file storage.  At any rate if there's a whole separate build for the AUTORUN version I would love to find a copy.  I searched through this thread but it's a bit hard to tell what is what.

21 minutes ago, DNA128k said:

Is the AUTORUN feature in the current firmware build?  I'd like to use mine as a standalone BASIC cart with my FujiNet for network file storage.  At any rate if there's a whole separate build for the AUTORUN version I would love to find a copy.  I searched through this thread but it's a bit hard to tell what is what.

The autorun is a standalone firmware and is not built in the normal firmware.

You can find the autorun firmware here:

14 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

The autorun is a standalone firmware and is not built in the normal firmware.

Awesome, thanks so much!

edit:

Well that was easy, I love this thing.

Edited by DNA128k

On 1/25/2024 at 1:21 AM, ascrnet said:

Check and see if the cartridge works completely I just tried it on fast. 😅 You just have to wait a moment for it to automatically shut down rd5.

I attach the new cartridges supported by this version and if you know of another strange cartridge attach it .rom

69 - aDawliah 32kb.car 32.02 kB · 3 downloads a8_pico_cart.uf2 190.5 kB · 4 downloads JNSoft.car 16.02 kB · 4 downloads Turbo 2000.car 8.02 kB · 3 downloads

JNSoft.car doesnt work

IMG_7296.jpg

3 hours ago, w1k said:

but you must change all of type of theese carts?

is not to change, but to identify the cartridge for the correct emulation. the .car format allows you to identify the cartridge.

3 hours ago, w1k said:

those two cartridges also need the rd5 shutdown?

11 hours ago, ascrnet said:

is not to change, but to identify the cartridge for the correct emulation. the .car format allows you to identify the cartridge.

those two cartridges also need the rd5 shutdown?

ah, understand, i try today some tests..

yes, another carts that needs rd5

51 minutes ago, w1k said:

maybe not good dump, dont know..

but you do have information if that screen changes, schematics of the pcb design or pictures of the cartridge ?

Edited by ascrnet

19 minutes ago, ascrnet said:

but you do have information if that screen changes, schematics of the pcb design or pictures of the cartridge ?

that file was burned on ROM in atari

4 hours ago, Wrathchild said:

The RAMCOPY CART is copying cart to $2000 but then awaits for the cart to be pulled after which the code is copied back up to $A000 and control transferred to there. 

From what I understand it waits for RD5 to shut down to start copying as you say. then wait a few seconds to see if the screen changes or if something else happens. 😅

4 hours ago, w1k said:

that file was burned on ROM in atari

since you don't know anything technical, can you tell me how you use it on the real atari "step by step"?

11 minutes ago, w1k said:

its copy program, you can load program with any speed - 2000 - 6000 baud and run in or save copy with any speed..

I don't understand how to use it, as you don't explain it well it will remain without emulation. 😉