IGNORED

HSC20 Round 11: "NEW TO THE HSC" REPTON, METEOR STORM & MORE...

Meteor Storm - 10550 pts

Repton - 7820 pts

Oddly you get level cleared on Meteor Storm even if you collide with an object or move out of screen if you're carrying the last passenger from the city. Apparently death is a better fate than staying in that city...

meteor-storm-10550.thumb.jpg.8fe3d7b0bb7e78bd58eb97b50ac5ba30.jpg

repton-7820.thumb.jpg.f589756c9ad97e5a8edf7d79c8d1cc0b.jpg

As a helping hand to @therealbountybob, I made an attempt to sum up the scores so far:

Repton
8455 autumn_fire
7820 carlsson
5495 AtariSphinx
4550 Sikor

Meteor Storm
16550 McKong
10550 carlsson
7450 autumn_fire
5450 AtariSphinx

Rockball with extra lives
143700 McKong
127400 AtariSphinx
73300 autumn_fire

Rockball without extra lives
32750 carlsson

Eliminator
1508 carlsson
1505 autumn_fire

Sky Blazer
1640 autumn_fire (second mission)
1360 AtariSphinx (second mission?)
xxxx carlsson (second mission)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, carlsson said:

As a helping hand to @therealbountybob, I made an attempt to sum up the scores so far:

very kind carlsson. Thank you :)

Photo4205.jpg.b1e1c3c0abeb425b94e8ae49aa2a9da0.jpg

Had a good few goes on Repton, lots of features and gets harder as it goes. Space is Nukes!

Best score of 12,905 was sure I could do better but then started to get lower and lower!!

The blue thing or hovering just under it seems to replenish the blue bar but not sure what it does, maybe shield for when you are invisible/not moving.

]I] Instructions didn't do much and [T] Training mode also to work out

Atarimani has link to manual on archive.org but seems to have no page 3 so not much info at all?!!

https://archive.org/details/repton-iron-on-sirius/Repton_Sirius/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

Eliminator: 2490 

Was not able to capture a picture before it moved off

Nice animation on the ship, some of the things remind me of the fish in Captain Sticky's Gold!

Looks like it has saveable high score table as seemed to access disk but I have it on a mydos menu disk so removed it!

Meteor Storm 13,000 gets more congested after a couple of rounds., was having trouble (!) using the shield (pull down).

Sky Blazer  1,020+  got to the 2nd stage "Tank" but didn't get him, interesting game looks like Sea Fox or something and is possibly by the Bandits guy or that other space explorer scroller in the caves we played a while back... (cosmic caverns :ponder: not checked any of this :D

Photo4207.jpg

Photo4208.jpg

Photo4206.jpg

• Like 1

Cheers to @AtariSphinx who saw, downloaded and played my hacked version of Rockball. Now it seems we're having two variants of that game: score at the end of the first life in the version that anyhow awards extra lives, and final score in the version that doesn't award extra lives. That probably is one variant too many, the question is which one is more challenging.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2023 at 9:15 PM, carlsson said:

Ha! I gave it one more try, realizing that while on your last life, zero more ships are displayed meaning that you don't start with 5 but with 6 lives. The "offending" memory position holding number of lives is $A4 (player 1) and $A5 (player 2). There is even code included that compares those values to #$FF in order for not the lives counter to overflow to 0.

In this patch, the sound effect for an extra life still is played but the number of lives never increases. It was tested very briefly in Altirra, let me know if it works properly.

Tagging @therealbountybob as well.

Rockball-noextra.xex 16.04 kB · 1 download

:thumbsup:

Can you make it 3 starting lives and no extras ;)

Repton - really is quite good. There is a 2nd stage where they complete the structure at the bottom, you get various messages and you go into a cave where you can only scroll right "Inoperative" radar! Had this around wave 5 / 15K but not sure why. Have since improved to 20,475 wave 7 or 8 but didn't get the other stage this time. [maybe you are meant to let them build it or perhaps it's a penalty stage :ponder: ]

Hints: Releasing fire when you are in trouble activates the cloak (just see the ship's outline) glide to safety.  Keep your distance and circle past enemies.

I'm now reviewing Repton for Pro(c) Atari Mag, please can anyone here write a page about anything Atari and send it to me, we literally need a few more pages ?

Tried an ATR version but instructions didn't work (tries to load) and seems to have some corruption on the dynamite stick things that extends across the screen. Looking for a good ATR/ File ver linked on 1st post is good but no instructions or training mode.

Photo4210.jpg.a8f5b1e6ed397fad145a91af1e597588.jpgPhoto4212.jpg.520ab9c6b0e7497afdad44eb028cd5a1.jpg

• Like 1

Meteor Storm, improved to 14,800 on the 2nd stage. Be careful not to waste ships by moving as you launch from the top!

Photo4214.jpg.3661c35aad696d3a7075fdbc64287996.jpg

Rockball 1st man 25,250 Rack 5 - you can start on Racks 1-15 but I think the 1 life challenge is fun enough ;)

If you can't get it to load - blank screen try from a (My)DOS disk without the menu - this worked on my XE

Photo4213.jpg.6bcfaa0c8585b26cd8b75d80d5e69795.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Can you make it 3 starting lives and no extras

Gawd, the programmer was either clever or lazy. The code takes the number of lives (default 6) and stores those in $A4, $A5. Then it decreases the value by one and stores in $A2, $A3 (might be the cut-off for extra lives, 5 = 5000 pts). Then it decreases it further by one and stores the new value in $F5, $F6. At a different location it also stores the original number of lives in $A6, $A7. It means by reducing LDX from #$06 to #$03, we reduce the number of lives but also the intervals where extra lives (don't) happen, plus some more locations I'm not sure what they do.

There isn't an extra byte for replacing DEX with a new LDX, unless of course I could patch an entire new routine elsewhere but I don't know enough Atari to know where to put it without screwing up the entire game.

Thus, here is a funny version with 3 lives, no extra lives, different periods between extra lives and unknown other parameters that have changed. I don't think it is useful to play in the HSC as long as we don't know what it does. Either we stick to posting scores only for the first life, or play the previous version with a generous 6 lives but no extra.

Rockball-3lives-noextra.xex

• Like 2

9 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Repton - really is quite good. There is a 2nd stage where they complete the structure at the bottom, you get various messages and you go into a cave where you can only scroll right "Inoperative" radar! Had this around wave 5 / 15K but not sure why. Have since improved to 20,475 wave 7 or 8 but didn't get the other stage this time. [maybe you are meant to let them build it or perhaps it's a penalty stage :ponder: ]

Use the attached .atx file from Atarimania and instructions worked for me. I'm using Fujinet to load it. The instructions do say if you let them build the structure they're working on by tearing up the other buildings you will get to the second stage. Very similar to Defender when all the humans are abducted.Repton.atx

Edited by autumn_fire
Moved message out of quote
  • Like 1

Using carlsson's latest xex:

Rockball (1st life) - 26700 Rack 5

Rockball (3 lives w/no extras) - 33750 Rack 6

The black holes are evil and pretty much stole the last 2 lives on that run from me 😅

IMG_1499.jpeg

IMG_1500.jpeg

Edited by autumn_fire
Wrong game name. Whoops.
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, autumn_fire said:

Use the attached .atx file from Atarimania and instructions worked for me. I'm using Fujinet to load it. The instructions do say if you let them build the structure they're working on by tearing up the other buildings you will get to the second stage. Very similar to Defender when all the humans are abducted.

Need ATR for 1050 drive, there are several on atarionline.pl http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=katalog&sub=R&tg=Repton#Repton

I've only tried the 3rd one listed.

So I got it the wrong way around, it's a punishment/survival zone and perhaps you recover to normal action if you survive!

16 hours ago, carlsson said:

Perhaps later in the year we can have a round with games where we randomly changed some of the data, as long as they don't crash out completely? :)

you may as well play my games - technically they do have pseudo randomly changed data as the playfields/item positions are generated each go ;)

• Haha 1

We'll keep REPTON and METEOR STORM as the main games - the others as bonuses. The scoring will reflect this so may change by the end of round ;)

For Rockball - play the 3 life no extra man version and/or just the first life. Sky Blazer 1pt per round

Repton         Meteor Storm    
  Player Score Pts     Player Score Pts
1st therealbountybob 20,475 6   1st McKong               28,150 6
2nd autumn_fire 8,455 5   2nd therealbountybob 14,800 5
3rd AtariSphinx 8,440 4   3rd carlsson 13,000 4
4th MichaG 7,930 3   4th MichaG 12,150 3
5th carlsson 7,820 2   5th AtariSphinx 11,250 2
6th Sikor 4,550 1   6th autumn_fire 7,450 1

Rockball 1 life    
  Player Score Pts
1st therealbountybob 22,250 2
2nd MichaG 15,700 1

Rockball 3 lives no extras
  Player Score Pts
1st autumn_fire 33750 1

Eliminator       Sky Blazer    
  Player Score Pts   Player Score Pts
1st AtariSphinx 2,490 3  1st AtariSphinx 3980 3
2nd carlsson 1,508 2  2nd MichaG 2320 2
3rd autumn_fire 1,505 2  3rd autumn_fire 1360 2
4th therealbountybob 1,315 1  4th carlsson 1360 2
5th MichaG 1,128 1  5th therealbountybob 1020 2
  • Like 1

So I found some extra info on Repton when I went hunting on the internet.  The second phase starts when one of two things happen: Either the workers finish building their base or the aliens drain all the power out of the planet (represented by the blue bar).

The drainage happens when the word "Alert" appears on the screen, which is when an alien is shooting a beam at the planet.  You can intercept by flying through this beam.  From there, you can restore the stolen power to the blue bar by flying through the main structure on the surface.

Oh, and after a bunch of games, I finally figured out that to use the nukes, the space bar only "arms" them.  You still have to press the fire button to deploy. 😑

Edited by rdrunner
  • Like 1