IGNORED

HSC20 Round 11: "NEW TO THE HSC" REPTON, METEOR STORM & MORE...

9 hours ago, McKong said:

Repton 13080

Stick with it McKong, really good Defender/Dropzone game :thumbsup:

Photo4215.jpg.ddee66dd344d0830c838d6e6d3289809.jpg

Meteor Storm is good but big leap in difficulty on the 2nd wave and I go to pieces, sort of one mote go ish though ;)

Improved to 17,950

Elimintaor was having a good go but no pause 😠 and had to answer the phone so that was that plus it aches the arms 1750 +

New poll later :!:

• Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 5:54 PM, rdrunner said:

So I found some extra info on Repton when I went hunting on the internet.  The second phase starts when one of two things happen: Either the workers finish building their base or the aliens drain all the power out of the planet (represented by the blue bar).

The drainage happens when the word "Alert" appears on the screen, which is when an alien is shooting a beam at the planet.  You can intercept by flying through this beam.  From there, you can restore the stolen power to the blue bar by flying through the main structure on the surface.

Oh, and after a bunch of games, I finally figured out that to use the nukes, the space bar only "arms" them.  You still have to press the fire button to deploy. 😑

Thanks rdrunner :thumbsup: I have written my review but will amend this info into it as I knew there was more to it. Really good game as I keep saying. Still not found ATR with the in game instructions bit working, have a couple more to try...

Bit late to jump in on this round (I'm waiting on a shiny new SDrive Max to make playing stuff on real hardware a bit more straightforward, then I'd like to take part a bit more often!) but glad to see Eliminator getting some love. I found it quite enjoyable when I covered it for a video a few years back -- it was interesting that in the "conversion" process from TRS-80 it became a completely different game!

If you'll pardon the gratuitous self-promotion (of a three-year old video):

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pjedavison said:

Bit late to jump in on this round (I'm waiting on a shiny new SDrive Max to make playing stuff on real hardware a bit more straightforward, then I'd like to take part a bit more often!) but glad to see Eliminator getting some love. I found it quite enjoyable when I covered it for a video a few years back -- it was interesting that in the "conversion" process from TRS-80 it became a completely different game!

If you'll pardon the gratuitous self-promotion (of a three-year old video):

:thumbsup:

The "New to the HSC" round has surrepticiously found two new players!! Great to have you take part Pete, we have another Southampton player here! Did you want to write me a page about your videos for Pro(c) Magazine? Will check them out!

Improved on Repton:

27,130 wave 8 I think - really getting into the swing, like Dropzone need to use the Nukes at the right times :) Inbuilt demo mode shows the high score.

Photo4216.jpg.97e958fc26279b9a772ada259017f409.jpg

Though there is no pause in Meteor Storm you can leave the ship docked at the start of each dive without any penalty - I think!!

Round 12 POLL OPEN :!:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/352734-hsc20-round-12-poll/

• Like 1

More Repton info:

The second phase is actually beatable.  If you can last long enough on the same life, your ship reaches the core of the enemy base.  If you destroy it, you return to the planet surface and resume the normal game again.  Officially, it appears that you start at the beginning of the wave you were on (stage clear bonus was as expected), but I believe there are way more enemies than before.

Also, don't forget to use a few nukes here and there.  You get an extra one (and an extra ship) every 5,000 points.  However, they cannot be used during the second phase.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rdrunner said:

More Repton info:

The second phase is actually beatable.  If you can last long enough on the same life, your ship reaches the core of the enemy base.  If you destroy it, you return to the planet surface and resume the normal game again.  Officially, it appears that you start at the beginning of the wave you were on (stage clear bonus was as expected), but I believe there are way more enemies than before.

Also, don't forget to use a few nukes here and there.  You get an extra one (and an extra ship) every 5,000 points.  However, they cannot be used during the second phase.

I figured it must be a survival stage, thanks will update the review further!! Played it for an hour or more late last night, just like the old days. I know people won't like the messages in the playfield being in the way but it's a *really* good game, be interesting to see if it gets so busy that there are too many extra lives like in the non HSC version of O'Rilley's Mine - great segway trbb - isn't that game is in the round 12 poll? :D

1 hour ago, therealbountybob said:

the non HSC version of O'Rilley's Mine

Remember that while the original game is somewhat generous with lives for player 1, it is in a two player game that player 2 gets ahead by receiving an extra life for every (?) item you pick up. At the same time you make player 1 extra hard because he/she will probably never be close to an extra life after player 2 has done the damage once. So double flawed, and I wouldn't be surprised if the extreme HSC record was set as player 2 once upon a time but it never was communicated.

• Like 1

Repton end of level bonuses - the wave x 100 makes sense, think the 3rd one is the number of blocks remaining from the 80 at the start . The power one seems to be 5x not sure if this relates to the blue bar :ponder:

Reminder this round ends tomorrow Weds 5th 8PM UK time unless anyone wants a few more days?!

9 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Repton end of level bonuses - the wave x 100 makes sense, think the 3rd one is the number of blocks remaining from the 80 at the start . The power one seems to be 5x not sure if this relates to the blue bar :ponder:

This sounds right.  I noticed the power bonus is always much higher after wave 1 than on later levels where the blue bar was usually almost gone.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

You'd better tell me about that bit ;)

Sure thing.  I'm sure you're wondering if there's a broken scoring system here somewhere.  I hope not, but I'll let you decide.

What I meant above about the 3 cores is that I was sent to the second phase a bunch of times because on higher waves, it's nearly impossible to stop the aliens from draining the planet's power.  I was able to destroy the core and escape back to the planet 3 times 

I got to wave 7 or 8 the first time it happened, but from there I could usually only clear one wave before the aliens would drain the planet again.

Each time I was sent to the second phase, I would burn a bunch of lives trying to clear it.  It gets harder every time you get sent back, with faster bullets and more enemies to shoot (those tiny "dots" that shoot at you appear a lot).

I did score quite a few points in this area, but it was mostly through attrition.  I would typically last for at least a minute or so per life scoring roughly 1000 points each time, but it sends you back to the starting point if you die.  All of the targets in the second phase are worth like 10 or 100 points each, with the core being worth something like 1000 (not sure).

Biggest thing I noticed on later waves was the sheer number of enemies that appear in a single wave.  I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-30 targets at a time.  And that "warning" message would keep appearing to add more enemies at a higher frequency than before.

I ultimately lost during my 4th trip to the second phase.  Not sure if it was too many extra bullets or just fatigue (game took about an hour).

hope this clears things up.  Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be happy to help!

Edited by rdrunner
  • Like 1

Repton

Thanks rdrunner :thumbsup: Had a couple of sessions in the 2nd stage - controls are tough and it's a long trip! I did reach a platform on stilts which I tried to destroy, looked like there was room to pass over it - guess I should have shot it more?!!!

Improved to 31,265

also improved on Meteor Storm to 21,250 need to make much more use of the shield after 10K :ponder:

Rockball 1 life 14,400 and 3 lives 32,100 (wave 6) may not be improvements will check when I do the final tables next!!!

VOTES PLEASE IF YOU ARE QUICK EVERYONE!!!

Photo4222.thumb.jpg.3258e7613c7e22a19c6a763121fe3483.jpgPhoto4223.thumb.jpg.cfccd995ccdbb1124cefaf8053bfe21b.jpgPhoto4225.thumb.jpg.148e47410e4bca4771d15d0fc1c47651.jpg

Photo4220.jpg

Photo4221.jpg

• Like 2

Final Tables

I'm sure to have missed someone or some scores so let me know ;)

Welcome again to our new players and congratulations to rdrunner for the win and I gave carlsson and pjedavision a couple of bonus points for their contributions :thumbsup:

Repton really good. Meteor Storm good but gets very hard after 15K, there are 3 (selectable) levels so I guess that's why. Eliminator if it had a pause key I might play it more and break my arm off!  Rockball 3 lives ver is probably about right, not bad - can you do anything about the hyperspace thingy or does it just happen?!. Sky Blazer ok we had looked at it before, flickery but at least rdrunner managed a few levels somehow :thumbsup:

Thanks for playing as always :thumbsup:

Let's start up round 12 :!:

HSC Points     Bonus
  Player   Score Points
1st rdrunner   26  
2nd therealbountybob   17  
3rd McKong                 14  
4th MichaG   12  
5th AtariSphinx   11  
6th autumn_fire   11  
7th carlsson   7 2
8th devwebcl   2  
9th Sikor   1  
10th pjedavison   0 2

Repton         Meteor Storm    
  Player Score Pts     Player Score Pts
1st rdrunner 85,660 9   1st rdrunner 34,700 7
2nd therealbountybob 31,265 8   2nd McKong               28,150 6
3rd McKong               19,470 7   3rd MichaG 15,150 5
4th autumn_fire 8,455 6   4th therealbountybob 14,800 4
5th AtariSphinx 8,440 5   5th AtariSphinx 14,800 3
6th carlsson 7,960 4   6th autumn_fire 12,300 2
7th MichaG 7,930 3   7th carlsson 10,600 1
8th devwebcl 4,835 2          
9th Sikor 4,550 1          

Rockball 1 life         Eliminator    
1st therealbountybob 22,250 2   1st rdrunner 2,529 3
2nd rdrunner 21,250 1   2nd AtariSphinx 2,490 2
11th McKong               17,650 1   3rd therealbountybob 1,750 1
3rd MichaG 15,700 1   4th carlsson 1,508 1
4th AtariSphinx 14,900 1   5th autumn_fire 1,505 1
          6th MichaG 1,128 1

Sky Blazer         Rockball 3 lives only    
1st rdrunner 5920 4   1st rdrunner 42300 2
2nd AtariSphinx 3980 1   2nd autumn_fire 33750 1
3rd MichaG 2320 1   3rd therealbountybob 32100 1
4th autumn_fire 1360 1   4th MichaG 20250 1
5th carlsson 1360 1          
6th therealbountybob 1020 1          

• Like 2

7 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Repton

Thanks rdrunner :thumbsup: Had a couple of sessions in the 2nd stage - controls are tough and it's a long trip! I did reach a platform on stilts which I tried to destroy, looked like there was room to pass over it - guess I should have shot it more?!!!

Yup, that's the core.  Hit the weak point near the middle 3 times to destroy it.  The entire screen will flash white when you register a hit.

I tried flying over it my first few times thinking "what's that?" lol.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Yup, that's the core.  Hit the weak point near the middle 3 times to destroy it.  The entire screen will flash white when you register a hit.

I tried flying over it my first few times thinking "what's that?" lol.

Think I got a hit or two on it, but then died. Does it return you to the next wave as soon as it explodes / does it scroll back up or anything?

3 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Think I got a hit or two on it, but then died. Does it return you to the next wave as soon as it explodes / does it scroll back up or anything?

The core explosion is fairly impressive.  The auto scrolling stops and you get to see the core disappear.  Just after that, the screen switches back to the planet.  Same wave # as where you left off, fresh blue bar, no base, lots of enemies. :)

• Like 1