IGNORED

Coming Soon: New Atari Jaguar Arcade Controllers

doubledown

1 hour ago, PFG 9000 said:

I've been on the fence as to whether I would buy something like this, just because finances are a little tight at the moment.  But man, if that gorgeous thing isn't enough to convince me, I'm not sure what would.  Nice work.

So you bought it tonight then?

Question regarding Raiden for the experts here:

I'm looking at creating a Raiden "themed" Jaguar arcade controller and had a question.  Is there any way, in the game, to switch which buttons do what?  So the default configuration is C is Bomb, B is Shoot, A is alternate Shoot.  That means in an arcade layout/format your main index finger is operating the Bomb button, and your secondary middle finger is operating the Shoot button...which is opposite of the arcade manual.  Lots of Jaguar games offered you the ability to switch button assignments in some sort of menu, but I don't see this option called out in the Raiden manual...nor was I able to "find" such a thing when button mashing the game last night.  Does anybody know of a way to do this in the game...or is it just simply not possible?  If it's flat out not possible, not a huge deal, as I can/will install a switch to toggle the wires between these 2 buttons so that in "Jaguar" mode it would be:

C - B -A (standard/universal layout for "all" games)

...and in "Raiden" mode it would be:

B - C - A (specific layout for "Raiden", and possibly other games)

...just adds a bit of cost...so if it's not necessary, great, but if it is, then fine...just added cost.  Thanks in advance for any help/info.  

12 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

As far as I can tell, there's no way to change the controls.  I can't find anything in-game, and the manual doesn't mention anything about it.

That's what I found...I was just "hopeful" that somebody smarter than me could say....oh, well, if you press and hold these 2 buttons (or some such similar), you can get to this secret menu where these can be changed.  Like I said, not a huge deal...it just will require an extra switch, and a little bit of extra wiring.  

In other news...I got my buddies control surface machined today:

x67MYQ.png

His will be similar to the original one I did way back (like the one in my first post in this thread)...17" x 11.5" aluminum enclosure with an array of 24mm arcade pushbuttons for the keypad...plus...all 8 ProController buttons, as well as an encoder w/ enable/disable switch, for a rotary/spinner control.  This one will take a couple days to finish...lots of wiring, so I should be able to reveal it this weekend...along with another model/variant...assuming I get the buttons that I ordered for that one, tomorrow or Saturday.    

• Like 1

I got the control hardware that I'll use for a Total Carnage controller today:

iL EuroJoystick 2 w/ D44X microswitches, and iL PSL-C w/ D41X microswitch

qCFKV6.jpg

The joystick shafts will need to be modified as their factory configuration is only appropriate for mounting under a thick wood control panel...and when mounted, unmodified, under a thin metal control panel, they stand way too tall.  Its not a huge deal...I've done this before:

GOXdNF.png

The left-most red bat is the factory height when mounted under a thin metal control panel, and the middle and right heights, are the other 2 possible options useable, with the second and third factory E-Clip grooves.  I just need to put them in the lathe and shorten the molded shaft covering (so they install lower/shorter), then use the band-saw to cut off the excess/unnecessary shaft length, so that the joystick shafts don't bottom out on the bottom of the enclosure.  Then of course once I do this, since I've shortened the levers, the joysticks will then require more force to manipulate...so I will also modify the springs by cutting out some coils, and then I'll re-close and grind the new ends, so that the joysticks feel like they should...with the newly shortened shafts.

Not sure how soon I'll get to this one...I can't find a scan of the Total Carnage CPO online anywhere.  Reproduction CPOs are available to purchase, but I'll have to spend about $60 to get one, so that I can scan it for my uses...unless I can find a scan somewhere.     

10 minutes ago, Machine said:

I am the proud owner of the first Jaguar Arcade Stick. It is amazing. I could not ask for a better built controller. Very professional.

I just hope I am lucky enough to grab one of the new controllers!!! Great Job!!!!

Sorry...limit 1 per customer!  😁 J/K.  I was wondering if you still owned it, and if so, when you were going to post some comments for bragging rights!

In an a random thought I had today:

I modeled this controller:

SeFL1H.png

...in the image of, and of the likeness of, this controller

vJhAks.jpg

(borrowed image above)

So why not build something like this:

SeFL1H.png

...that looks like this:

wvCnQX.jpg

While technically for the Atari computers (what, the STe line I think), as it has the same functionality...it could be another "theme" option...versus plain old black & red...just sayin'!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doubledown said:

Sorry...limit 1 per customer!  😁 J/K.  I was wondering if you still owned it, and if so, when you were going to post some comments for bragging rights!

We had our basement flood. I had to quickly move all my gaming stuff to high ground. I do not think any Jaguar items got damaged. The arcade stick was sitting on the floor and would have been toast if we caught it an hour latter.

It's been an interesting and expensive month. Still trying to put everything back together. Finally hooked the Jaguar back up last night. It was the first system I hooked up. Now I just need a place to sit. 13 more consoles to hook up and I will be back in the game. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Machine said:

The arcade stick was sitting on the floor

...well if that's how you treat my controller, I don't know if I can sell you another!  😉

Sorry to hear about the flood.  What was the cause...foundation leak, sump-pump failure, storm sewer back-up?  I remember my dad's house got a good foot or so of water in the basement, years and years ago (after I had moved out) from a storm sewer backup.  Cost me, my original Tandy 1000EX and C-64 computers...software...accessories and the likes, and 2 of my old R/C cars.  Everything else was up on higher shelves, and/or the workbenches...so not too bad.  Pulled out the carpeting that was down there in the one section, and just simply painted the concrete floor afterwards.  

1 hour ago, doubledown said:

...well if that's how you treat my controller, I don't know if I can sell you another!  😉

Sorry to hear about the flood.  What was the cause...foundation leak, sump-pump failure, storm sewer back-up?  I remember my dad's house got a good foot or so of water in the basement, years and years ago (after I had moved out) from a storm sewer backup.  Cost me, my original Tandy 1000EX and C-64 computers...software...accessories and the likes, and 2 of my old R/C cars.  Everything else was up on higher shelves, and/or the workbenches...so not too bad.  Pulled out the carpeting that was down there in the one section, and just simply painted the concrete floor afterwards.  

20" of rain in 45 days. The ground got too saturated. I was able to trench a new path, so that should never happen again.

The controller was sitting on carpet in front of TV. I was actually using it the day before. Thank god my wife went down there to get something or I would have lost a ton of stuff.

• Like 1

I got the assembly of my buddies Jaguar controller finished up tonight...so presenting my:

Atari Jaguar ProController L+ DX - VVG Enhanced Controller

BGm7NQ.png

For the hardware details of this model:

** Hammond Mfg., 17" x 11.5", aluminum enclosure (braced and weighted)

** iL EuroJoystick 2, 8-way microswitch joystick (Sg. -2-1/4), w/ Cherry (ZF) D44X microswitches, w/ threaded shaft (short), w/ Sanwa 35mm ball knob (black)

** VVG Jaguar PCB

** Sanwa OBSF-24, 24mm pushbuttons - keypad array, (2) yellow, (12) red

** iL PSL-C pushbuttons, w/ Cherry (ZF) D41X microswitches, (6) red, (2) black

** Bourns 24P (1/4" shaft) mechanical encoder, w/ Davies Molding knob

** C&K F-Series, 2PDT, latching/indicating pushbutton switch, (Black/Yellow)...used to enable/disable the rotary/spinner control

** Rear mounted cord cleats for cable management

** Atari Jaguar inspired CPO graphics

A testament to what can be achieved, when money, and space...are of little concern.  Enjoy!

• Like 9

I decided to create a small Atari/Jaguar "logo" emblem for the front of any Jaguar controllers that I make, that don't feature the looks of the Jaguar, or the Jaguar logo on the CPO...so that its obvious what its built for, and just as a nice finishing touch...so I added that to my NBA JAM T.E. controllers:

P1/P2 Edition

bBBMjG.png

P3/P4 Edition

zbcdpN.png

P1/P2 (Flyer) Edition

DwQtZH.png

P3/P4 (Flyer) Edition

kby4v0.png

And of course, the buttons I am waiting for...that were supposed to be delivered Saturday...did not get delivered...and tracking provides very little information other than something along the lines of "in route to next facility."  So hopefully those will show up eventually, and I can finish up and reveal my next Jaguar controller...which I think is going finish/look absolutely stunning when it's done.  Hopefully soon on that one.  

• Like 1

According to the tracking info for the buttons I've been waiting for, they have been delivered today.  So assuming the correct buttons were shipped, I'll be able to unveil another new model tonight...stay tuned!

In other news, I ordered the reproduction Total Carnage CPO, so that I can get working on a twin-stick Total Carnage Experience Controller for the Jaguar.  I've already got all of the hardware and the enclosure...I just need the artwork so that I can finish the layout.  

And lastly, I finished up the design of the Raiden L.E. (limited edition...that's right...who doesn't love limited editions) Experience Controller today, and I got the enclosure machined:

DOohWZ.png

I have to print and laminate the CPO (print tonight, laminate tomorrow), then I can get it assembled.  I should have it done tomorrow or Thursday, after which it will be revealed...in all of its limited edition glory and majesty.  

After these last new ones (Raiden, Total Carnage)...I think that's all that I had in my mind to create at this point (other than possibly, still, a dedicated Rotary/Spinner controller of some kind for myself)...after when finished, I can finalize pricing for the available models/variants, and start building some controllers for others, if there are those who are interested in such things.   

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Machine said:

I forgot this earlier, but what Raiden really needs is a turbo switch. Someone was selling modded controllers a few year back and those made the game much more enjoyable.

Well, while some may prefer to play such a game with a rapid/auto-fire option...as it wasn't included in the original arcade game...it certainly won't be included in my Raiden Experience Controller...which is part of a line of controllers that I build, to replicate the arcade experience...with very specific, arcade accurate, control hardware, layout, and artwork (as much as possible).  

I can understand how, when using a hand-held control pad, constantly/repeatedly pressing a button with your bent thumb can be very tiresome...but I've never had an issue when mashing full-sized arcade buttons with my finger tips...when playing games like Galaga, Track & Field, or the likes.  To me, using such a device is cheating...but that's just my two cents...your mileage may vary.  😉  

Could a rapid/auto-fire circuit be added to one of my controllers...theoretically...yes.  Will I be a part of it...uncertain at this point.

Ok, so onto my next controller.  For this one, I wanted to build an 8-button ProController, into the smaller Hammond 14" x 8.5" enclosure, vs. the larger 17" x 11.5" variant I just built for my buddy.  Of course, such a controller should have a black joystick, grey keypad buttons, red pushbuttons, and basically an all black CPO...to match the original Jaguar ProControllers as much as possible.  But to be honest...I get really sick of all black CPO artwork all the time...so I tried to come up with something else...that was still basically Jaguar-themed.  So presenting my:

Atari Jaguar Arcade ProController (RSoD) Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller

Ry1nI9.png

** Hammond Mfg., 14" x 8.5", aluminum enclosure (braced and weighted)

** VVG/SUZO HAPP Compact (C45) 8-way microswitch joystick, w/ Cherry (ZF) D44X microswitches, w/ QANBA matte 36mm ball knob, black

** VVG Jaguar PCB, w/ Keypad, w/ C&K D6R key-switch pushbuttons, (14) black / yellow

** Sanwa OBSF-30 pushbuttons, w A.S. classic concave caps, (3) black, C / B / A

** Sanwa OBSF-30 pushbuttons, (2) black L / R

** Sanwa OBSF-24 pushbuttons, (3) black Z / Y / X

** Atari Jaguar "Red Screen of Death" inspired CPO graphics

Of course, such a controller could also be built with "standard" (boring) Jaguar ProController colors...but as this one is mine (at least for now)...I thought I would go with a little bit of flash! 

It of course can also be built with an era-correct bat knob installed...thusly:

JC03Me.png

...and here's how good it looks next to my Jaguar console:

2SFx5k.png

More to come...stay tuned...and enjoy!

• Like 2

Thank you so much to @doubledown for my new custom Atari Jaguar arcade stick controller! We revealed it on the ZPH stream tonight and the craftsmanship on this is absolutely incredible and it works buttery smooth on my Jaguar. Can't wait to do the next Jag stream using this amazing device!

- James

image.thumb.png.db18d26cfb25ad1531889429af97ec40.png

On 6/29/2023 at 6:10 PM, doubledown said:

Ok, here is the first model of a new series of Atari Jaguar controllers that I'll be making/offering...so presenting my:

Atari Jaguar DX+ Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II:

SeFL1H.png

...and for size comparison...next to my Jaguar:

JG7xCn.png

This specific variant, is the DX+ "super premium" edition of this new Atari Jaguar Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II model, as it includes a rotary/spinner control (...the reason for the "DX"), and this particular example has an Arcade Adventures, Atari Tempest, molded reproduction knob mounted on the encoder (...the reason for the "+").  Of course this model can alternately be built with a less expensive knob on the encoder (I have some new samples that should be delivered tomorrow), or without the rotary/spinner control entirely...if its not wanted.  This this is simply the most full-featured, full-optioned, version of this "small" model, showcasing all of the available possibilities for this controller model.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2023 at 8:08 PM, doubledown said:

Nothing set in stone here...just testing out a few different layouts for a twin-stick controller for the Jaguar:

SnP9aO.png

#1 - 14" x 8.5" - This would basically be a dedicated Total Carnage controller...great option for a 2nd twin-stick Total Carnage controller when playing with a friend (less-expensive than all out full-featured).  Twin joysticks with arcade-accurate 6.5" joystick center-to-center separation...and a "Bomb" button located centered/above the joysticks...assuming the Jaguar port has this feature like the arcade game does...and it doesn't need the other 2 buttons.  I don't have the manual for this game, nor have I played it that much to really know it's nuances.  

#2 - 17" x11.5" - "Universal" Jaguar controller, with a 2nd joystick...not quite Total Carnage Arcade accurate, with only 5.5" joystick center-to-center spacing...but useable with basically all games.

#3 - 17" x 11.5" - "Universal" Jaguar controller, with a 2nd "outboard" joystick...useable with basically all games.

#4 - 20" X 11.5" - "Universal" Jaguar controller, with Total Carnage arcade accurate 6.5" joystick center-to-center spacing and centered keypad, and a dedicated/additional "Bomb" button located centered/above the joysticks.  This will be the one I would build for myself, if I decide to build myself a twin-stick controller as my 2nd Jaguar arcade controller.

Again...these are just initial trial layouts.  I'd have to print them all out to test for physical interferences when manipulating the controls.  FYI...there isn't really much cost difference with these 3 different controller sizes...I think something like about +$10 per each size increase 14 to 17, 17 to 20.  The real extra costs come in with all of the extra hardware...depending on all of the installed features/options.  

General Akhboob approves!

Ever since I got my copy of Total Carnage I needed something like this. I can't decide on the four designs you have here. A dedicated controller would be nice, but it would be nice to use with other games if I make the investment...

1 hour ago, tripled79 said:

General Akhboob approves!

Ever since I got my copy of Total Carnage I needed something like this. I can't decide on the four designs you have here. A dedicated controller would be nice, but it would be nice to use with other games if I make the investment...

I got the tracking info for the Total Carnage CPO that I ordered...theoretically it will be delivered Friday.  If so...I might be able to get the first one finished up this weekend...fingers crossed.  From approximate digital dimensions that I taken (from pictures borrowed from the internet), to maximize the artwork, it will work best in either the 17" x 11.5" or 20" x 11.5" enclosures...as they have 3 more inches, front to back, than the smaller 14" x 8.5" enclosure...which might cut off much of Captain Carnage (or Major Mayhem)...art-wise.  For mine...at this point I'm envisioning the 20" model...with the joysticks arcade-accurately spaced apart, the bomb button centered above...and possibly the keypad between the joysticks.  If I do this, then I'd probably add the additional C/B/A buttons off to the far right side, so that the controller is also a general use Jaguar controller...not just, only a Total Carnage controller.  I'll have to wait and see once I get the actual artwork...to see how everything lays out, and sizes up.  

• Like 2

In other exciting news...I got my Raiden controller finished tonight.  Now for some, making a Raiden themed controller...they may simply take some generic Raiden artwork...like the marquee art for example:

V9SzCK.jpg

...and simply stretch it, and skew it, to fit their control panel size...and place the controls, wherein, they may pop up through the letters, or other artwork, or some such similar.  But for me, when I'm making one of my VVG Experience Controllers, I'm trying to replicate the original arcade cabinet/experience as much as possible, including the control hardware used, as well as the proper CPO artwork.  So, without further ado, presenting my:

Raiden Edition - VVG Experience Controller

zcs3S5.png

Now what I found out during the research for this controller, is that there were no dedicated Raiden arcade cabinets built/sold...at least not in North America, as it seems.  Raiden was developed by Seibu Kaihatsu, published by Fabtek in North America, and sold as conversion kits for older/existing arcade cabinets.  Since it could be installed into a wide variety of existing cabinets, with a wide variety of control panel sizes and shapes, their CPO artwork was simply their company logo, in a wallpaper-like repeating pattern, that came on a large enough sheet to cover any control panel...and the installer/operator, would simply trim the excess after application.  Additionally, as these kits could be installed into any number of arcade cabinets, where the controls were located/orientated...was basically dependent on what the original cabinet had to start with, or, the installer/operator, could make new holes, and install the hardware where they wanted.  The only mention in the arcade manual with regards to the layout, is the the joystick is on the left, and that the "left" of the two buttons is the main "Shoot" button, and that the "right" of the two buttons is the secondary "Bomb" button.  The other hardware mention in the arcade manual is with regards to  the joystick that came with the kit...which was a HAPP Super 8-way joystick. 

Fortunately for me, SUZO HAPP still makes the Super joystick...unfortunately for me, it's not made to mount into low profile, then metal enclosures like this.  I've modified the joystick to lower its overall bat knob height by 0.80", and cut some excess/unnecessary length from the actuator and the bottom of the shaft, so that its height is appropriate for a lap/table-top controller like this, and so that it fits into this enclosure.  There are a couple of other models of joysticks that I could have easily installed, that wouldn't have required all of the modifications...but like I said...I try to use the original specified control hardware, in these types of controllers. 

Now, as Raiden only requires 2 buttons...theoretically this controller should only have 2 buttons...but to also allow this controller to be a general-use "any game" Jaguar controller, I did install a 3rd black button...and I chose black specifically so that it would blend in with the artwork, as to not be so noticeable.  I also included a full keypad...with the Pause and Option buttons being the larger, 2, white arcade pushbuttons at the top...simulating the arcade's P1/P2 start buttons, and for the smaller 12 keypad number keys, I installed them in rows of white, black, black, and white...again, so that they also would blend in with the artwork, so as to not be so noticeable...while still creating a full featured Atari Jaguar arcade controller. 

Then, one last thing special to this controller...which can't really be seen in the picture...is the latching/indicating pushbutton switch, mounted above the joystick, and to the left of the Pause / Options buttons...that when in "Jaguar" mode...wires the 3 pushbuttons as the Jaguar standard order of C / B / A (for all games other than Raiden)...but when in "Raiden" mode...it rewires them so that their order is now B / C / A...so that you can play Raiden properly (and other games if applicable), wherein the red, index finger operated button, is the "Shoot" button, and the blue, middle finger operated button is the "Bomb" button.  

** Hammond Mfg., 14" x 8.5", aluminum enclosure (braced and weighted)

** VVG/SUZO HAPP Super 8-way microswitch joystick (Sg. -1), w/ Cherry (ZF) D42X microswitches

** VVG Jaguar PCB, w/ Keypad, w/ C&K D6R key-switch pushbuttons, (12) black / white

** iL PSL-C pushbuttons, w/ Cherry (ZF) D41X microswitches, (2) white (Pause / Option), (3) red, blue, black (C / B / A)

** C&K F-Series, 4PDT, latching/indicating pushbutton switch, (Black/White)...used to swap pushbutton order between - "Jaguar" (C / B / A), and "Raiden" (B / C / A)

** Fabtek Raiden inspired CPO graphics

Enjoy!

• Like 2

I got my Total Carnage joysticks modified, and ready for installation today:

kWNPoN.jpg

- Factory height on the left (for installation in thick wood control panels)...and cut down (shortened) ~0.70" on the right

WH3J2c.jpg

- Both cut to proper (shortened) height

TyTncr.jpg

And the 2-1/8 coils I cut out of each of the centering springs...so that with the new shorter levers...the joysticks don't require a Herculean effort to manipulate...thus preventing fatigue.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 5:55 PM, doubledown said:

Well, while some may prefer to play such a game with a rapid/auto-fire option...as it wasn't included in the original arcade game...it certainly won't be included in my Raiden Experience Controller...which is part of a line of controllers that I build, to replicate the arcade experience...with very specific, arcade accurate, control hardware, layout, and artwork (as much as possible).  

I can understand how, when using a hand-held control pad, constantly/repeatedly pressing a button with your bent thumb can be very tiresome...but I've never had an issue when mashing full-sized arcade buttons with my finger tips...when playing games like Galaga, Track & Field, or the likes.  To me, using such a device is cheating...but that's just my two cents...your mileage may vary.  😉  

Could a rapid/auto-fire circuit be added to one of my controllers...theoretically...yes.  Will I be a part of it...uncertain at this point.

Having a turbo function might be considered cheating if you are in a tournament or submitting a high-score to some type of leader board, but if you are just playing the game at home for enjoyment, not sure why it would matter to anyone.

We have had discussions on how it can make the game much more enjoyable in casual play. It's kinda in the same ballpark as using a guide to help you figure out how to get unstuck in a game. If it helps you experience more of the game and enjoy it more, not sure the harm? Just another way to make the game more fun and experience more of the game. I would never claim I beat it without the turbo, but who really cares? 

I kinda see it like a twin stick or a rotary. If it makes the game more fun and enjoyable, who cares?

Edited by Machine