IGNORED

Coming Soon: New Atari Jaguar Arcade Controllers

doubledown

Ok, here is the first model of a new series of Atari Jaguar controllers that I'll be making/offering...so presenting my:

Atari Jaguar DX+ Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II:

SeFL1H.png

...and for size comparison...next to my Jaguar:

JG7xCn.png

This specific variant, is the DX+ "super premium" edition of this new Atari Jaguar Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II model, as it includes a rotary/spinner control (...the reason for the "DX"), and this particular example has an Arcade Adventures, Atari Tempest, molded reproduction knob mounted on the encoder (...the reason for the "+").  Of course this model can alternately be built with a less expensive knob on the encoder (I have some new samples that should be delivered tomorrow), or without the rotary/spinner control entirely...if its not wanted.  This this is simply the most full-featured, full-optioned, version of this "small" model, showcasing all of the available possibilities for this controller model.  The hardware details are as follows:

** PacTec PT-10, 11" x 8", molded ABS, w/ Aluminum plate(s), enclosure

** Seimitsu LS-32, 8-way (square gate...circular and octagonal gates are available) microswitch joystick, w/ Sanwa 35mm Black ball knob.  I also created/installed a 2.25mm thick drop-mount plate, that allows me to install the joystick's dust washer below the control panel...so that its not a nuisance

** VVG Jaguar PCB, w/ Keypad, w/ C&K D6R key-switch pushbuttons (14)...Grey

** Sanwa OBSF-24, 24mm key-switch pushbuttons (3)...Red, w/ Arcade Shock classic concave caps (3)...Red

** Bourns 24P (1/4" shaft) mechanical encoder, w/ Arcade Adventures molded reproduction Atari Tempest knob

** C&K F-Series, 2PDT, latching/indicating pushbutton switch, (Black/White)...used to enable/disable the rotary/spinner control

** Rear mounted cord cleats for cable management

**Custom Atari Jaguar Controller inspired CPO/Artwork

Aesthetically, I attempted to mimic/copy the original Jaguar Controllers as much as possible, as if this were originally released back in the day by Atari.  The original Controllers had a black D-Pad...I have a black ball-knob joystick...the originals had 14 grey keypad & Pause/Option buttons...I have 14 grey keypad & Pause/Option buttons, the originals had 3 red concave pushbuttons...I have 3 red concave pushbuttons.  The originals had negatively and positively molded detailing, including the D-Pad surrounding detail, the ATARI logo at the top, and the 12 keypad button legends.  As I cannot "print" molded detailing...I copied these original details, and printed them in a very dark grey...as a way to "simulate" light reflecting off of the original molded details.  The originals had the Pause/Option/C/B/A legends printed in white, above their mating buttons, on an angle...and guess what...so do I.  

So there's this little one done...the smallest Atari Jaguar arcade stick controller I can/will build...now on to bigger, better, and more fabulous Jaguar controllers!  Enjoy!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, doubledown said:

Ok, here is the first model of a new series of Atari Jaguar controllers that I'll be making/offering...so presenting my:

Absolutely stunning! Incredible work once again @doubledown!

- James

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Absolutely stunning! Incredible work once again @doubledown!

- James

Thank you! 

9 hours ago, Saturn said:

That is incredible! I would love to own one. Hope they're available soon!

Thank you!  Let me finish up the few other immediate designs I have planned to build (for myself and my buddy), finalize some cost/pricing details, and then they can start to be available if anybody is interested. 

But just as an FYI, I have started looking into the pricing for these controllers, keeping in mind that I still have a few things to finalize (including parts costs)...and it looks like these Atari Jaguar Edition - Joystick Controller, Mk. II models, will end up with a selling price somewhere in the $225 - $330 range...depending on the features and options installed (and parts costs)...with the one pictured above being at the highest end of that range...due to the addition of the rotary/spinner control, and the very specific (and expensive) knob used (and a version without the rotary/spinner control, would be at the lowest end of that range).  Of course some will feel that these are too expensive for their budget/taste, and that's fine, everybody is of course, entitled to their own opinion.  Anybody, is of course, free to build their own less expensive controller, or buy a less expensive controller from some other source, perhaps on Facebook or Etsy or similar.  But my "manifesto,", if I were to have a manifesto...is simply to build the finest, most-premium, non-compromising, custom controllers possible.  I use manufactured molded ABS, molded ABS w/ Aluminum plate(s), powder-coated Aluminum (custom braced & weighted), and/or powder-coated Steel enclosures...not cardboard, plywood, or 3D printed plastic enclosures.  I use all brand-name, legitimate, arcade quality controls, and all brand-name, high-quality ancillary components and hardware...sourced from the U.S. and occasionally Europe.  I do not (and will not) use/install "brand-x like" controls, and I do not buy said knock-off controls, and/or cheap no-name components, in mass/bulk quantities from China...in an effort to provide to the world with the "cheapest" option possible.  My controllers are also not throw-away controllers, as any part/component that may ever become damaged/non-functional...can always be repaired or replaced...and chances are...it will probably outlast the console that they are being used with.  

But enough of my "old man" ranting, and my "quasi-sociopathic" beliefs...more details will follow when I have things finalized.  

1 hour ago, str0m said:

That does look incredible. Just wondering if the spinner gets in the way of our left hand at all, I guess it is far enough down and your hand will be angled

Need!

Like anything else...its all a matter of preference, and/or what you are "willing" to accept.  Personally, for me...this model is too small.  I prefer my "arcade-type" controllers, to be large enough so that I can fully rest my palms on the surface while playing...not resting on top of, and/or hanging off of the side and/or bottom edges.  And also, that they are large enough to fully rest across my lap, in a manner that I don't have to balance it on one leg/knee, and/or I don't have to keep at least one hand on it at all times...so that it doesn't fall off my lap onto the floor.  I am apparently the odd-ball with these regards...with the exception of maybe my 1 buddy who also agrees with me on most all of this.  Most other people, are perfectly happy/content with, and feel that they want, the smallest (and/or cheapest) controller possible...possibly due to a lack of storage room for said controller...I don't know, nor is it any of my business to know. 

Additionally, and again, speaking for myself...I cannot operate a spinner/rotary control with my left hand...probably comes from a life time of holding Atari Paddle/Driving controllers in my left hand, and manipulating the knob with my right.  In this first/particular model, of course the spinner/rotary control can be deleted, thus no interference is possible, but due to the size/length of the PCB...it cannot be moved to the right any more than where it currently is...as the PCB is there, underneath the control panel.  All that "empty" space below the keypad buttons above the control panel...is PCB below the control panel.   

Here is a visual size reference photo, with most of the different sized enclosures that I have used previously:

j7qehm.png

The ColecoVision Questar controller (middle row, far right)...directly behind the 7800 console in this picture...is the same size enclosure used for this new Jaguar controller that I've just finished.  My personal size preference for an arcade controller, is either the Hammond 14" x 8.5" aluminum (ATARI 2600 "The Orange Special"...middle row, far left), or the 17" x 11.5" aluminum (Intellivision Super Pro Arcade Aluminum...back row, right) enclosures.  But for others...these controller sizes are way too large, and or way too heavy for their liking.  But we are all unique snowflakes, and we are all entitled to our own opinions...no matter how wrong they we are.  😁

• Like 6

14 hours ago, doubledown said:

SeFL1H.png

This here is a very appealing looking beast! I especially like how the numpad is laid out and the spinner is a nice bonus.

I forgot to mention...in this Atari Jaguar DX+ Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II...there are 3 possible joystick options

1) Japanese type / Seimitsu LS-32, Microswitch joystick..."clicky"

2) Japanese type / QANBA Gravity Silent, Key-switch joystick..."silent"

3) Western type / VVG-SUZO HAPP Compact (C45), Microswitch joystick..."clicky"

...depends on the end user's preferred feel/operation.  

On 6/23/2023 at 11:34 AM, doubledown said:

You would need to switch 8 poles...4 microswitches, N.O. and common contacts on each switch, so that it could connect the 2nd joystick to the keypad buttons on PCB 1 for Total Carnage, or the directional contacts on PCB 2 for Llamatron.

For anyone else uninformed and concerned, Total Carnage uses 8 buttons on the keypad for dedicated diagonals in addition to the 4 usual directions, but I just plugged it in and confirmed you can also fire diagonally using the usual UP+RIGHT, DOWN+LEFT, etc. combos, so cool, that does sound more doable.

When you get this far in the project, I think this is the config I'd want to order if offered. I don't care much about playing most games with an arcade stick, but twinstick games gotta have twinsticks, and I guess I wouldn't mind a little Raiden with a joystick either 🙂 Put me on "the list" for two twinsticks. If you can fit in a spinner with that config too without making it bigger, even better. Based on your current estimated pricing, I assume the price would be getting up towards $400-600 for such a config? Not matter. When something's perfect, it's worth paying for!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

For anyone else uninformed and concerned, Total Carnage uses 8 buttons on the keypad for dedicated diagonals in addition to the 4 usual directions, but I just plugged it in and confirmed you can also fire diagonally using the usual UP+RIGHT, DOWN+LEFT, etc. combos, so cool, that does sound more doable.

Yeah, I've already checked that too...so only a standard, 4-switch, 2nd joystick is needed.  

28 minutes ago, cubanismo said:

When you get this far in the project, I think this is the config I'd want to order if offered. I don't care much about playing most games with an arcade stick, but twinstick games gotta have twinsticks, and I guess I wouldn't mind a little Raiden with a joystick either 🙂 Put me on "the list" for two twinsticks. If you can fit in a spinner with that config too without making it bigger, even better. Based on your current estimated pricing, I assume the price would be getting up towards $400-600 for such a config? Not matter. When something's perfect, it's worth paying for!

If its only wired for Total Carnage...not additionally Llamatron 2112, it would probably be closer to the 450/500 range...as it would only need 1 PCB, and 1 cable.  If wired for both games...then it might get closer to 600.  I'd have to sit down and do some math on to it, to determine a price for sure.

• Like 1

So starting what will be my ATARI Jaguar arcade controller...no name yet (other than it being a VVG Enhanced Controller), as I'm not truly sure how I'm going to theme mine...Jaguar "generic", or NBA JAM T.E....here is the initial machining/assembly:

With a bat knob...as is era, and NBA JAM T.E. correct: 

c0XtUE.png

...or with a ball-knob if preferred:

rIeEVY.png

...and a side-by-side for size comparison:

VQroP1.png

For mine, I opted to not install the PCB mounted Pause/Options...but rather, install 2 arcade pushbuttons (like the P1/P2 start buttons on an arcade game) above the keypad itself.  If I build/offer this one like pictured as Jaguar-themed...I would do like I did with my original 17" x 11" version (from the first post in this thread) where I would only install small CPO graphics as legends surrounding the buttons as necessary, and use these colors of hardware (or black keypad/Pause/Options buttons matching the 2nd gen Jaguar controllers).  If I decide to theme mine for NBA JAM T.E., then I'll change the knob/button colors to match the arcade cabinet, and create a full-sized, edge-to-edge CPO using as much of the arcade artwork as I can...on this smaller sized enclosure (smaller than the arcade cabinet).  

For the hardware details of this model:

** Hammond Mfg., 14" x 8.5", aluminum enclosure (braced and weighted)

** VVG/SUZO HAPP Compact (C45) 8-way microswitch joystick, w/ Cherry (ZF) D44X microswitches, and a bat or ball knob

** VVG Jaguar PCB, w/ Keypad, w/ C&K D6R key-switch pushbuttons (12)

** iL PSL-C pushbuttons, w/ Cherry (ZF) D41X microswitches (2) - Pause / Option

** iL PSL-C pushbuttons, w/ Cherry (ZF) D41X microswitches (3) - C / B / A

**Custom CPO/Artwork...of some kind...depending on "theme"

Enjoy!

• Like 4

The more premium version on the left is more up my alley. Super glad you are using a combo of Seimitsu and Sanwa parts on it, that’s good quality stuff. $225 - $300 is perfectly reasonable. High-end arcade sticks for modern consoles will cost the same.

4 hours ago, Austin said:

The more premium version on the left is more up my alley. Super glad you are using a combo of Seimitsu and Sanwa parts on it, that’s good quality stuff. $225 - $300 is perfectly reasonable. High-end arcade sticks for modern consoles will cost the same.

The larger controller on the right (VVG Enhanced Controller)...is technically the "more premium" version...due to the larger, more robust, all aluminum (braced & weighted) enclosure.  This particular smaller controller on the left (VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II), may have more "features", but for this particular VVG Enhanced Controller currently being built, I'm not installing a rotary/spinner controller into it...as this one is for me...and I'll probably build myself a dedicated rotary/spinner controller with the rotary/spinner control on the right...and the buttons on the left.  Either one of these two models / enclosures, can include all of the same basic features (joystick, keypad, 3 buttons, rotary controller), but the larger Enhanced Controller can allow for a greater range of hardware choices (including Western controls for those who don't live in Japan, and prefer Western controls...like me), including full-sized arcade pushbuttons, and up to 8 pushbuttons if wanted...which are not options available in the smaller Joystick Controller, Mk. II.  

Speaking of rotary/spinner controls...I did get the new knobs I ordered yesterday.  One I like, the other is a bit too small, I think.  So here are the available options that I think I'm willing to make available/offer:

9vPY6Y.png

Left - 3D printed (Tough PLA...currently, may change...not sure yet) - Atari Tempest "reproduction" knob

Middle - Molded ABS (w/ steel center hub) - Arcade Adventures Atari Tempest "reproduction" knob

Right - Molded ABS (w/ brass center hub) - Davies Molding knob...nearly identical to the Atari Tempest knob...just without the skirt

The big difference really is the hardware cost...which obviously adds up to partially account for the overall price of a controller:

Left - 3d Printed Atari Tempest "reproduction" knob ~$10-$15...depends on total print time (based on nozzle size / print resolution used for acceptable part), and post-processing time

Middle - Molded ABS Arcade Adventures Atari Tempest "reproduction" knob ~ $30

Right - Molded ABS Davies Molding knob ~ $5

Nothing set in stone here...just testing out a few different layouts for a twin-stick controller for the Jaguar:

SnP9aO.png

#1 - 14" x 8.5" - This would basically be a dedicated Total Carnage controller...great option for a 2nd twin-stick Total Carnage controller when playing with a friend (less-expensive than all out full-featured).  Twin joysticks with arcade-accurate 6.5" joystick center-to-center separation...and a "Bomb" button located centered/above the joysticks...assuming the Jaguar port has this feature like the arcade game does...and it doesn't need the other 2 buttons.  I don't have the manual for this game, nor have I played it that much to really know it's nuances.  

#2 - 17" x11.5" - "Universal" Jaguar controller, with a 2nd joystick...not quite Total Carnage Arcade accurate, with only 5.5" joystick center-to-center spacing...but useable with basically all games.

#3 - 17" x 11.5" - "Universal" Jaguar controller, with a 2nd "outboard" joystick...useable with basically all games.

#4 - 20" X 11.5" - "Universal" Jaguar controller, with Total Carnage arcade accurate 6.5" joystick center-to-center spacing and centered keypad, and a dedicated/additional "Bomb" button located centered/above the joysticks.  This will be the one I would build for myself, if I decide to build myself a twin-stick controller as my 2nd Jaguar arcade controller.

Again...these are just initial trial layouts.  I'd have to print them all out to test for physical interferences when manipulating the controls.  FYI...there isn't really much cost difference with these 3 different controller sizes...I think something like about +$10 per each size increase 14 to 17, 17 to 20.  The real extra costs come in with all of the extra hardware...depending on all of the installed features/options.  

• Like 3

For a visual reference...here is what the Davies Molding knob (same overall size/shape/detailing as original Atari Tempest knob...just non-skirted) looks like when installed onto what would be an:

Atari Jaguar DX Edition - VVG Joystick Controller, Mk. II:

kPR7fS.png

As previously mentioned/stated...this knob is about $25 cheaper, compared to the Arcade Adventures Atari Tempest reproduction knob.  

• Like 2

While I'm waiting on the last part that I need, for what will be my Atari Jaguar controller (looks like Monday at this point), and while waiting for my buddy and I to finalize the layout of his controller, I did have a thought for another possible unique Jaguar controller:

uzNjOz.jpg

This would be an FPS/Keyboard controller for games like Alien vs Predator, Doom, and Wolfenstein 3D.  I grew up playing Doom & Wolfenstein 3D in their earliest DOS forms, using a keyboard's arrow keys for player movement with my right hand, and the other necessary keyboard keys for shooting, running, weapons selections, etc....as they were programmed, with my left hand.  So...why not make something similar with 24mm arcade pushbuttons for the Jaguar!?!  Unfortunately, while each of these 3 games do share some common control schemes/ideas...movement, attack (mostly), there are enough differences, that some sort of attempt to layout the "keypad" keys in some special/sensical order for 1 specific game (with full CPO legends for these buttons)...it makes it a bit iffy for another.  For full compatibility with all 3 of these original FPSs...I think I would lay it out like this...generically, with a centered keypad for commonality/familiarity.  That's not to say, a custom controller couldn't be made specifically for each of these 3 games...but even that's a bit difficult, with the different control schemes/legends for each of the 3 game modes in Alien vs Predator...which would truly require 3 separate controllers...thus the reason that the original game came with 3 separate overlays.  I'll have to decide what colors and plunger shapes, I'd want for each of the pushbuttons, and probably get an order placed...as I don't think I have anywhere this many 24mm pushbuttons in stock right now...then I'll have to figure out some artwork for the CPO as well.  I assume a general "Jaguar" theme...as if it was something offered back in the day.  

I got the last part I needed today for my Jaguar controller.  So now I should be able to finish up the assembly on that one, and reveal it probably later tonight. 

I also got the last of the bits that I needed for my buddies controller today, and we finalized his layout over the weekend.  So I should be able to get his built/revealed this week...sometime.

Also over the weekend, I played around with an 8-button ProController layout...for the Hammond 14" x 8.5" enclosure, and finalized a layout that I'm very happy with...so I got that enclosure machined at work today:

xmXiIz.jpg

Notice, the Z/Y/X pushbutton holes (upper row/arc of 3) are slightly smaller than the lower row/arc of L/C/B/A/R pushbutton holes.  I'm using 24mm pushbuttons for Z/Y/X, and 30mm pushbuttons for L/C/B/A/R...similar, to how the Z/Y/X buttons on the actual Jaguar ProControllers, are smaller than the C/B/A buttons.  I had to order parts for this one, but hopefully they'll be in by this upcoming weekend.  This one I'm not sure if I'm going to keep, or offer for immediate sale (if someone's interested)...just have to wait and see how much I like it after it's built.  

• Like 1

Ok...so for my personal Atari Jaguar arcade controller, I decided to theme mine for one of my favorite video game franchises of all time...NBA JAM...one of only what, 3 arcade ports in the Jaguar's library!?!  So presenting my:

NBA JAM T.E. P1/P2 Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller:

VzyH6Q.png

** VVG/SUZO HAPP Compact (C45) 8-way microswitch joystick, w/ Cherry (ZF) D44X microswitches, w/ blue bat knob (arcade correct color for P1/P2 player positions)

** VVG Jaguar PCB, w/ Keypad, w/ C&K D6R key-switch pushbuttons, (12) blue

** iL PSL-C pushbuttons, w/ Cherry (ZF) D41X microswitches (2) - Pause / Option, orange

** iL PSL-C pushbuttons, w/ Cherry (ZF) D41X microswitches (3) - C / B / A, white, red, blue

** NBA JAM T.E. inspired CPO graphics

Then of course, as I can't have only one NBA JAM T.E. arcade controller, allow me to additionally present my: 

NBA JAM T.E. P3/P4 Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller:

Jg0rrG.png

...which features all of the same hardware as the P1/P2 Edition, but with a red bat knob (and red keypad buttons)...as is arcade accurate for the P3/P4 player positions.  

Then if I'm going to have 2...I might as well have 4.  So presenting my:

NBA JAM T.E. P1/P2 (Flyer) Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller:

YMrTML.png

and my:

NBA JAM T.E. P3/P4 (Flyer) Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller:

hnkHhT.png

The original Midway advertising flyer for NBA JAM, shows a cabinet with white Player Start buttons, and green Turbo buttons.  I don't know if any actual cabinets sold, got this combination of button colors, but I like the variance.  And as lots of NBA JAM T.E. cabinets, started out as NBA JAM cabinets, that were later upgraded/converted...I feel the lineage is valid.  

I'm still debating on the use of a "logo" for the front face of the controller, like I've done before on others.  On my previous Jaguar arcade controller, I had a large Jaguar logo on the CPO, and a smaller Atari logo on the front face.  On these models, as there is no Jaguar logo on the CPO, I'd probably use that logo on the face.  I'll just need to resize the logo, print out a sample and see how I like it.  That's all for now...more to come...Boom Shakalaka!

• Like 5

14 hours ago, doubledown said:

Ok...so for my personal Atari Jaguar arcade controller, I decided to theme mine for one of my favorite video game franchises of all time...NBA JAM...one of only what, 3 arcade ports in the Jaguar's library!?!  So presenting my:

NBA JAM T.E. P1/P2 Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller:

VzyH6Q.png

** VVG/SUZO HAPP Compact (C45) 8-way microswitch joystick, w/ Cherry (ZF) D44X microswitches, w/ blue bat knob (arcade correct color for P1/P2 player positions)

** VVG Jaguar PCB, w/ Keypad, w/ C&K D6R key-switch pushbuttons, (12) blue

** iL PSL-C pushbuttons, w/ Cherry (ZF) D41X microswitches (2) - Pause / Option, orange

** iL PSL-C pushbuttons, w/ Cherry (ZF) D41X microswitches (3) - C / B / A, white, red, blue

** NBA JAM T.E. inspired CPO graphics

Then of course, as I can't have only one NBA JAM T.E. arcade controller, allow me to additionally present my: 

NBA JAM T.E. P3/P4 Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller:

Jg0rrG.png

...which features all of the same hardware as the P1/P2 Edition, but with a red bat knob (and red keypad buttons)...as is arcade accurate for the P3/P4 player positions.  

Then if I'm going to have 2...I might as well have 4.  So presenting my:

NBA JAM T.E. P1/P2 (Flyer) Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller:

YMrTML.png

and my:

NBA JAM T.E. P3/P4 (Flyer) Edition - VVG Enhanced Controller:

hnkHhT.png

The original Midway advertising flyer for NBA JAM, shows a cabinet with white Player Start buttons, and green Turbo buttons.  I don't know if any actual cabinets sold, got this combination of button colors, but I like the variance.  And as lots of NBA JAM T.E. cabinets, started out as NBA JAM cabinets, that were later upgraded/converted...I feel the lineage is valid.  

I'm still debating on the use of a "logo" for the front face of the controller, like I've done before on others.  On my previous Jaguar arcade controller, I had a large Jaguar logo on the CPO, and a smaller Atari logo on the front face.  On these models, as there is no Jaguar logo on the CPO, I'd probably use that logo on the face.  I'll just need to resize the logo, print out a sample and see how I like it.  That's all for now...more to come...Boom Shakalaka!

THAT looks incredible!

They pair well with the Sega Genesis/CD/32X, NBA JAM / NBA JAM T.E. / NBA HANG TIME themed arcade controller I made myself a few years back:

9Hlc9s.png

...and thus already had the artwork basically done...I just had to resize the overall layout for the smaller enclosure, and move the pictogram/text images to where they would fit on this smaller controller. 

This thread triggered memory of my friend's fancy pants spinner: He boasted of its fine balance and weight, and demonstrated by letting it spin for umpteen seconds or minutes. I agreed it was swank, but was like, dude, you don't release it during a game.