IGNORED

AtariAge Store Last Chance Sale!

Albert

1 hour ago, Propane13 said:

Apologies if this was covered already, but is Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest safe from the upcoming removal?  It's not listed as such, but I wasn't sure if there was some sensitivity due to the title character.

For what it’s worth, none of the Atari properties are included.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/23/2023 at 10:13 AM, Andrew Davie said:

You get a knock on your front door and the guy there says "hey, I've made copies of that book you wrote a few years back and I'm now selling these online. But because I'm a nice guy I'm going to let you have a few dollars because I know it's your IP and fair's fair - but nonetheless you shouldn't ask me for a lot of money.  After all, the market is small and this is a labour of love. It takes me forever to do the printing, arrange the artwork, advertising and shipping.  I'm doing all the hard work."

That is true but these games arnt just a few years old! try 40+! And when was the last time you went to wal mart and bought a new Atari 7800 Game?

On 6/23/2023 at 6:54 PM, Gemintronic said:

I have NO idea why there is hate for Albert protecting our community from lawsuits and giving us a sale.

It's as if all the haters saw the sale and decided to throw shade on social media for the lols.

No hate here! I just think there is more to it! Just be up front with us about it! One can be up front and not go into detail! 

On 6/24/2023 at 11:14 AM, splendidnut said:

Nothing.  Nothing is stopping them from rebranding.  Except maybe the goals of their projects.

Do I want to unbrand Chaotic Grill?  No, not really, it's in the final stages.  Why even make a port if it doesn't try and match the original.  If someone wants to play Burgertime they can just play it on another system.

<rant>

I think it's a bit silly that Al could potentially be sued over a remake of a game from 40+ years ago for a system that's over 40 years old.  I think it's a bit silly that I could potentially be sued for doing a port of a game that's been around longer than I have.  But that's what the lawyers, the law makers and corporations have decreed is worth wasting money on.  Gotta protect all those original 40-year old ideas from the savages.

</rant>

------

The bright side to this is that I do have a few original ideas that I can pursue now.  But they'll take more time due to needing to do game design.

That is totally understandable, But you also have to look at it this way! When was the last time you bought an Atari 7800 game off the peg at say wal-mart! 

On 6/24/2023 at 7:44 PM, Captain Cozmos said:

I enjoy Atari Age, and Albert's problems have nothing to do with me, but I would like to know why the change of heart after all these years.

Was there some threat of legal action or just a winding down of the website.
I would hate for Atari Age to be closed down when this is a hang out for most of my computer friends.

Yeah I feel he needs to be up front if he wants to save face! It can be done without getting into details! 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Albert said:

Save face?  What?

AtariAge is not shutting down.

..Al

All im saying is without saying the reason why for this, Its making some people question you! Not me, Im just saying, The reasons for this can be explained without going into detail! Im just on the outside looking in! 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

29 minutes ago, dodge ramman said:

All im saying is without saying the reason why for this, Its making some people question you!

The Internet is full of people questioning about everything. Doesn't mean you need to pay attention to them...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, dodge ramman said:

All im saying is without saying the reason why for this, Its making some people question you! Not me, Im just saying, The reasons for this can be explained without going into detail! Im just on the outside looking in! 

Reasons don't need to be given honestly. It's his store, he can choose what to sell through it. There isn't a time limit on changing your mind, where after that expires you're locked in for life.  Just be thankful there's one last chance to pick them up from the Atari Age store.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Mord said:

Reasons don't need to be given honestly. It's his store, he can choose what to sell through it. There isn't a time limit on changing your mind, where after that expires you're locked in for life.  Just be thankful there's one last chance to pick them up from the Atari Age store.

Um, not sure about that although a good answer.

If I, as a programmer spend a year of my life writing a game just to find out, well, I can't sell games like that because I may be in legal trouble.  It tends to be a downer.  Especially since it's been perfectly fine up till now just ask Collectorvision.

I alluded to earlier, several projects are now on hold indefinitely and when I read all of this it would be great to receive an official statement.
His "STORE" will be limited to just homebrews and originals or is it the whole site and anyone who uses it for monetary gains.

Let me put it another way.
I wrote a game and developed some serious advanced routines.  That was the only way this game would run on the Colecovision.
When I show a tech demo of an early version all I received was, oh...That's just Dodge 'em.

Ok, that did not effect me in only that it was one mans opinion but I am already past half my life and do not want to waste my time anymore.
I spent 8 months on Dino Eggs, after receiving a blessing from the author too someone that wants to control their 40 year old dead franchise.
That is his right but at the same time I am doing all the work to include distribution.

Then I spent 3 months on Them's be Fight'n Cars to get that kind of feedback.  That is one month shy of a year wasted.

Now, I get this update in the midst of working on a Shamus remake for the Colecovision which is not an easy task.

So, no...people like myself need feedback and assurances because for several years it has been a free-for-all and now all of a sudden is there legal trouble or just a change of heart.

Edited by Captain Cozmos
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

In my view, the owners of this site do not owe anybody any explanation.  They are free to conduct their business in whichever way they please, just as anybody else is free to do the same.

I find it unreasonable to treat or interpret these news in any other way than what has already been stated officially:  that AtariAge is having a fire-sale of bootlegs, and that the store will focus in the future on original titles or those that can be licensed.

It is not a good look for anybody to spin that into some sort of betrayal of trust, or personal attack directed at them or their work.

I submit that the legitimization and mainstreaming of our home-brewed efforts is not a bad thing.

As with every human endeavor worth enduring, there are upsides and downsides, and we must take the bad with the good, or risk having nothing at all of value.

I personally am looking forward to more games in the future, and see this as an opportunity for people to get creative.

dZ.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, alex_79 said:

The Internet is full of people questioning about everything. Doesn't mean you need to pay attention to them...

So I can work on your car and not tell you what I did nor what the problem was?

• Confused 2

On 6/26/2023 at 12:58 PM, holygrailvideogames.com said:

Did AtariAge ever sell Sirius & Plutos?  I know that CPUWIZ sold some many years ago.  I don't see either one on the last chance sale list and I can't remember if either were ever in the store.  There are so many games that I would like to buy but I currently have over $1,500 in games in my cart.  I need to cut my list way back.

Not that I know of! I have both Sirius & Plutos and they are available elsewhere! I do not know if Atari age ever sold them though! I highly recomend them both! 

On 6/26/2023 at 9:26 PM, groundtrooper said:

It's already happening. :roll:

Granted this seller is a notorious gouger, but seems they are already working the ports ban. 

I can't comprehend the $225 prince on Deepstone Catacomb. 

I have noticed EBAY or should I say FLEEBAY allows scalpers, As I have seen it happen on many short run items!

54 minutes ago, dodge ramman said:

So I can work on your car and not tell you what I did nor what the problem was?

Difference is, the AtariAge Store is not your car, and Al is not fixing it for you. You're free to buy the titles on the list during the next (*checks calendar*) 17 days or so. Or not, if you don't want to.

His site, his Store, his rules. This isn't really that complicated. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Captain Cozmos said:

If I, as a programmer spend a year of my life writing a game just to find out, well, I can't sell games like that because I may be in legal trouble.  It tends to be a downer.  Especially since it's been perfectly fine up till now just ask Collectorvision.

As noted before, each reseller take their own decisions what to sell or not. Some publishers are not as public about their business, and thus can keep selling perfect ports (often in smaller scale) without much risk of any consequences. Likely some of the games that used to be in the AtariAge store will be sold elsewhere in the future, either in various physical forms or at least digital.

Then again, does it necessarily have to be a perfect port? Again I would like to point towards Kai Magazine on the Intellivision who has made a series of stellar games, many inspired by classics but updated, improved, altered so those both are tailored to the hardware and avoid any IP conflicts. For years those games have ranked very high in GOTY polls. While I don't know the sales numbers, it doesn't seem like Inty collectors second-rate the games because they don't replicate either of the A-list games. But yeah, I understand the "I'm a game developer, not a game designer" approach. Perhaps it is just a lucky coincidence to find someone who is both a great developer and a great designer.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 4