IGNORED

AtariAge Store Last Chance Sale!

Albert

2 hours ago, Captain Cozmos said:

Um, not sure about that although a good answer.

If I, as a programmer spend a year of my life writing a game just to find out, well, I can't sell games like that because I may be in legal trouble.  It tends to be a downer.  Especially since it's been perfectly fine up till now just ask Collectorvision.

I alluded to earlier, several projects are now on hold indefinitely and when I read all of this it would be great to receive an official statement.
His "STORE" will be limited to just homebrews and originals or is it the whole site and anyone who uses it for monetary gains.

Let me put it another way.
I wrote a game and developed some serious advanced routines.  That was the only way this game would run on the Colecovision.
When I show a tech demo of an early version all I received was, oh...That's just Dodge 'em.

Ok, that did not effect me in only that it was one mans opinion but I am already past half my life and do not want to waste my time anymore.
I spent 8 months on Dino Eggs, after receiving a blessing from the author too someone that wants to control their 40 year old dead franchise.
That is his right but at the same time I am doing all the work to include distribution.

Then I spent 3 months on Them's be Fight'n Cars to get that kind of feedback.  That is one month shy of a year wasted.

Now, I get this update in the midst of working on a Shamus remake for the Colecovision which is not an easy task.

So, no...people like myself need feedback and assurances because for several years it has been a free-for-all and now all of a sudden is there legal trouble or just a change of heart.

Totally agree! And to Qoute one part of what you said " His "STORE" will be limited to just homebrews and originals or is it the whole site and anyone who uses it for monetary gains" So then where does that leave people like Edladdin and the Edladdin Controllers or the Sega to 7800 Adapter just to name one! or how about Retron with the Retron 77 are they to stop malking that? I mean there has to be an Explaination for this! I'm glad someone besides me is thinking on the same page! 

• Confused 5

Just now, dodge ramman said:

Totally agree! And to Qoute one part of what you said " His "STORE" will be limited to just homebrews and originals or is it the whole site and anyone who uses it for monetary gains" So then where does that leave people like Edladdin and the Edladdin Controllers or the Sega to 7800 Adapter just to name one! or how about Retron with the Retron 77 are they to stop malking that? I mean there has to be an Explaination for this! I'm glad someone besides me is thinking on the same page! 

What are you going on about, please, just stop.  This is only affecting the AtariAge Store.  I don't even know why you are bringing in Edladdin or Retron.

..Al

• Like 8

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

Difference is, the AtariAge Store is not your car, and Al is not fixing it for you. You're free to buy the titles on the list during the next (*checks calendar*) 17 days or so. Or not, if you don't want to.

His site, his Store, his rules. This isn't really that complicated. 

Yes I do Agree that "His site, his Store" But I cant agree on the rules part! say you and I was playing a game and we both decided on the rules before the game then mid way through I decide to change the rules! Is it still "His site, his Store, his rules? And you are mistaking what Im saying! The explanation is too vague! And as far as me being free to buy the titles on the list during the next 17 days or so I already have! 

26 minutes ago, Albert said:

What are you going on about, please, just stop.  This is only affecting the AtariAge Store.  I don't even know why you are bringing in Edladdin or Retron.

..Al

Well im not the only one bringing this up! And im just wondering about this stuff as is others here as you can see! Retron makes a console that will play 2600 games! Just wondering!

• Confused 4

If your fast food restaurant changes the menu and perhaps removes a burger that has been there for a while, are you demanding that the restaurant owner explains in public, to everyone why the menu has changed? If your car repair shop changes supplier of parts to other brands, perhaps only work with original manufacture parts instead of third party, will you demonstrate outside of the door until you get to know exactly why this change has happened?

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, carlsson said:

If your fast food restaurant changes the menu and perhaps removes a burger that has been there for a while, are you demanding that the restaurant owner explains in public, to everyone why the menu has changed? If your car repair shop changes supplier of parts to other brands, perhaps only work with original manufacture parts instead of third party, will you demonstrate outside of the door until you get to know exactly why this change has happened?

Not what im saying! You are taking my words out of context! 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MrZarniwoop said:

61CF754F-EC53-4A44-A991-66A887DB98F3.png

Who are you calling a troll? I just dropped $400+ on games in the store! But If its towards me! Im not the only one asking the same questions or who has the same concerns! Cant one voice his or her concerns and ask questions? Good day! 

Edited by dodge ramman

All have reasons why they make major or moderate alterations to long-time projects.

The categories behind such decisions can span everything from deeply private, adapting to demand, production-possibility-limitations (and under this you may find yet another world of subsets of categories of why this rather than that), to ‘no longer interested in promoting/doing this’ to just wanting to make a change to push forward in a certain direction.

Atari-sites are dedicated to providing coding and hardware-info.

Some Atari-YouTubers are dedicated to commenting and reviewing games, and comment updates and news.

AtariAge is sort of allround - quite a lot about everything.

Instead of focusing on the precise reasons for changes, why not rather focus on how the original homebrew scene can grow in numbers and how homebrews can increase in quality?

And why not just be satisfied with the wealth of Atari-info provided here…?

(I started using it to obtain hardware-info before getting an account).

And as for hardware, like joysticks etc, - there’re plenty of things to get to grips with… either as buyer or designer/producer.

I infortunately lack skills to code, - perhaps even my brain is wired to much in the overall or abtract direction to ever get to grips with that.

But I’d sure like to see more top-notch originals for the 7800 coming.

I even felt personally it was bit overmuch in the pre-1984/5 type of games for my liking (given the generation of the console).

Anyway - AtariAge will probably be a unique info- and starting- point for any Atari-retro-gamer and major forum for all retro-gaming (it has threads for like almost-anything), for a long time to come.

Personally, I’d like to see something new. Even sometimes wish I had the capacity to make something original of quality, but … guess what … life has many categories to juggle.

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Giles N said:

All have reasons why they make major or moderate alterations to long-time projects.

The categories behind such decisions can span everything from deeply private, adapting to demand, production-possibility-limitations (and under this you may find yet another world of subsets of categories of why this rather than that), to ‘no longer interested in promoting/doing this’ to just wanting to make a change to push forward in a certain direction.

Atari-sites are dedicated to providing coding and hardware-info.

Some Atari-YouTubers are dedicated to commenting and reviewing games, and comment updates and news.

AtariAge is sort of allround - quite a lot about everything.

Instead of focusing on the precise reasons for changes, why not rather focus on how the original homebrew scene can grow in numbers and how homebrews can increase in quality?

And why not just be satisfied with the wealth of Atari-info provided here…?

(I started using it to obtain hardware-info before getting an account).

And as for hardware, like joysticks etc, - there’re plenty of things to get to grips with… either as buyer or designer/producer.

I infortunately lack skills to code, - perhaps even my brain is wired to much in the overall or abtract direction to ever get to grips with that.

But I’d sure like to see more top-notch originals for the 7800 coming.

I even felt personally it was bit overmuch in the pre-1984/5 type of games for my liking (given the generation of the console).

Anyway - AtariAge will probably be a unique info- and starting- point for any Atari-retro-gamer and major forum for all retro-gaming (it has threads for like almost-anything), for a long time to come.

Personally, I’d like to see something new. Even sometimes wish I had the capacity to make something original of quality, but … guess what … life has many categories to juggle.

Agreed!

• Like 1

Al made a decision. It's his to make for whatever reasons. For the rest of us it's "nunya" None of your business.

FWIW, I gotta say, all the efforts of making carts (and cleaning the yucky old used shells in the beginning) and running the store for, what I think is probably not a lot of money, has got to be a pain in the ass. It's not like he can quit his day job or retire with it. It's a hobby that has probably run its course and he's on to better things. Regardless if he got any Guff over IP or not. Be happy some things will remain. For now, buy what you cannot live with and be happy before they are no longer available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 1:16 PM, Emehr said:

I'm all for this. I love the ports and appreciate the work put into them but it's always been a gray area and I was never sure which ones had the blessing of the IP owners. I'd hate to see the legal hammer come down on this site and/or the homebrew authors. Not only that, maybe this will open the floodgate to more inspired ideas. Look at the work Andrew Davie is doing with his Wen Hop game. That's the cool new stuff I personally like to see for this hardware that's about as old as I am.

I see AtariAge as a publisher just as much as Atari, Activision, Parker Bros, and Imagic and cutting loose the games that may be a liability will be good in the long run.

Well said 👏

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 5:32 PM, dodge ramman said:

Well im not the only one bringing this up! And im just wondering about this stuff as is others here as you can see! Retron makes a console that will play 2600 games! Just wondering!

Saying the Retron 77 can play Atari 2600 games is debatable. :D

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Albert said:

Yeah, it won't run any Melody-based cartridges. It won't run most other homebrews as well, at least anything above 4K and 8K. ,

I reiterate: The cartridge port is nothing but a lousy marketing gimmick which should be ignored.

And without being updated to the community edition, the software sucks badly too.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

And without being updated to the community edition, the software sucks badly too.

So admittedly I’m late on a lot of things (as Crossbow is happy to point out 😉) but I didn’t know there was community software (firmware?) for the Retron 77. Where does one acquire it and how does one install it? Is it as simple as putting a file on a properly formatted micro SD, putting it in the 77, and turning it on? 🤞🏼 

9 minutes ago, MegaManFan said:

So admittedly I’m late on a lot of things (as Crossbow is happy to point out 😉) but I didn’t know there was community software (firmware?) for the Retron 77. Where does one acquire it and how does one install it? Is it as simple as putting a file on a properly formatted micro SD, putting it in the 77, and turning it on? 🤞🏼 

At risk of further derailing this thread … 

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/281462-retron-77-community-build-image/

• Like 3