IGNORED

Doom alert!

xrbrevin

Wow, this is fast and fluent. Amazing work!

Some bugs:
- Right from the beginning of the game I can choose and use all weapons (e.g. chainsaw and shotgun). When pressing e.g. 3 and then the fire button, the shotgun is displayed and used.
- When pressing Esc to abort the game and return to the title screen, the screen is garbled and the title music isn't played.
- On the map the joystick directions left/right and up/down are swapped (compared to the first Doom version in this thread).

1 hour ago, StefanD said:

Wow, this is fast and fluent. Amazing work!

Some bugs:
- Right from the beginning of the game I can choose and use all weapons (e.g. chainsaw and shotgun). When pressing e.g. 3 and then the fire button, the shotgun is displayed and used.
- When pressing Esc to abort the game and return to the title screen, the screen is garbled and the title music isn't played.
- On the map the joystick directions left/right and up/down are swapped (compared to the first Doom version in this thread).

Can I just ask are these issues on real hardware or emulator or both? I've not been able to choose all weapons from the start, either on real hardware or on altirra emulator. Wonder why you can? 

Tested it on Altirra 2.6 and 4.1, same result. If I press "3" and then the fire button, the shotgun is displayed and works. (Pressing only "3" doesn't display the shotgun.)

Edit: Same on real hardware (800 XL with 192 KB RAM extension)

Edited by StefanD

now i see the problem , i made mistake - when selecting i save current weapon before checking if weapon is available. Problem is fixed.

Moving around map works fine for me , directions work as they should.

Menu wok correctly - when press esc, only menu is displayed but music still played from the level.

Check this updated version

!testdisk.atr

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Weapon selection works now as expected. :)

Menu is OK also, I didn't notice I can press Esc and then return to the interrupted gameplay with Esc or BACK.

Moving on the map works opposite the first doom version in the thread - so I mentioned it. But of course it works.

Thanks for this imperessive game. :)

• Like 1

just to report a bug. Playing on real hardware, at one stage in the first level in the end courtyard area where you can see eky, one of the imps got embedded in a wall and was just stuck there.

In modern 3D I think this is a clipping issue. Not sure with the A8 engine.

Loving this amazing port. :)

Edited by Beeblebrox

26 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

just to report a bug. Playing on real hardware, at one stage in the first level in the end courtyard area where you can see eky, one of the imps got embedded in a wall and was just stuck there.

I can confirm it, got it once. By the way, it's visible @3:37-3.45 in my post earlier in this thread

8 hours ago, Peri Noid said:

I can confirm it, got it once. By the way, it's visible @3:37-3.45 in my post earlier in this thread

yup, that's the one - the naughtly lil Imp!! ;)

Screenshot from your vid:

image.png.d9ae03672319b861dba94c3f8f779625.png

By the way it's astounding what Swiety and co have achieved with this port. Just take a moment to take this in. This is a 1979 chipset running in essence a game conceived in the early 90s, and doing an amazing job of it considering it's running in 64k and with 9 colours. 

Aside the amazing GTIA doom engine they wowed us with in the Rewind demo, if you just look a few months ago with the initial VicDoom port and realise the jump/improvement is astounding:

Original Vicdoom port a few months back (tiny playfield, 4-5 colours):

image.thumb.png.70442b0eac6529c66d67f7f2cfd84590.png

Recent (yellow version) around a month ago (double sized playing field, 9 colours(?):

image.thumb.png.64f54f7f7cc6561c08aaabb9f80901c3.png

Most recent version, Graphics 10 mode, 9 colours, double the playing field again and optimised colours and sprite drawing:

image.png.734ffdd6f233195c8746efb7603df7d7.png   image.png.96ccd04ba55421030b7c10902cd8df5d.png image.png.968537464807e0ffaf9fa539c1861a83.png

image.png.1f0bb31e60db2bfc692d5dce45c4ff7e.png  image.png.fbdc8b21097a662769d78f83ce5d7790.png

Because the concept of Doom as an FPS works so well, you very quickly forget about the chunky graphics (fantastic though they are). This is mainly down to the speed of play, animation and also great use of the 9 colours. It's rather like Minecraft in that respect. Chunky is cool if you have enough colours. A8Doom pulls it off amazingly well. Kudos!!! ;)

Now we know the A8 is capable and this engine works I can't wait to see any future 3D games, (if indeed we will see any), the A8 will have.

Any here is the original 90's PC Doom in all it's pixelated glory:

The Scientist Who Taught Rats to Play 'Doom II' Wants to Start Streaming it  on Twitch - Bloody Disgusting

:)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, xrbrevin said:

its nothing short of bloody marvellous! 😁

I couldn't agree with you more. Just seeing the improvements between the three versions above is astounding. All involved should be very proud. ;)

Edit: one thing - which I can't see is possible -that I'd love to see is the implementation of the animation which I used to love in the original PC and console Doom. And that was this whenever you fired off a rocket launcher or hit a barrel near an enemy, they'd totally explode and spray a nearby wall!!  Mwaahhhhahhhahhahhhhhaaaaa!! ;) 

I couldn't find a suitable GIF of an imp or a soldier exploding, so this is the closest I could find.

It's ketchup time.:)

image.thumb.png.8ecd2954906aa227b0ee0855bed10158.png

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

@solo/ng wow, seriously amazing to see these mockups/progress :) I wonder... will the weapons be animated? To see the shotgun loading and recoil for example would be very special. If not, fair enough.

Honestly seeing weapons on screen for an A8 fps is so key to the immersion of the game. 

So looking forward to the next beta release. Hopefully soon. :)

Thanks to Swiety. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, DarkLord said:

I swear, I just can not remember a giant-sized cat like creature as one of the monsters

in this game... Was this added especially for the 8bit version?  :)

reminds me of cheesy UK comedy show - The Goodies:

The Goodies: Kitten Kong | Kitten, Kong, Youtube