IGNORED

Atari VCS 2

bluenomadgaming

On 7/20/2023 at 12:37 PM, Gemintronic said:

I suspect fans will find a way to transplant the OS to new hardware before Atari gambles on an actual VCS 2.

This has already happened. I'm trying to figure out how to add drivers (I really haven't put much effort into it honestly), but it is working.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2023 at 8:27 PM, MrBeefy said:

Adventure vs Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom

I honestly have more fun playing Adventure 1 & 2 than I ever did Zelda.  Slicing every bush looking for something got annoying.  Breath of the wild had some good ideas, but was mostly boring.  Haven't bothered getting Tears of the Kingdom... but having a blast playing Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom.

• Confused 1

On 7/18/2023 at 8:38 PM, bluenomadgaming said:

Ouch.  That is a terrible loss.  I didn’t know it was that terrible.  The VCS is a boondoggle that cost the company a chunk of change.  

My idea is It is already there though. The VCS exist.  Payed out the booty for.  It has more game than any other system than the 2600. It is still going.  

So can they do something with this system to make it less of a loss.  Goodness, I hope so.  I still say that continuing to support it will help.  Making it a retro hub will help too.  It won’t make money but the loss is already there.   What can it do for them now?

They need to figure out overseas distribution.  With it only selling in the USA... the place that stopped giving a crap about Atari since the 5200's release... they were far more successful in other places after the debacle of 2600 Pac-Man.  By the time the Jaguar came out people thought Atari had stopped making things, and only knew of the 2600 because their parents had one...

Atari also had just enough delays to then get caught in the mother of delays that affected everyone.   Had they announced their plans to get back into the game like 3-6 months before release, didn't do an IndieGoGo campaign, and did a world wide distribution, maybe, just maybe, they would have had a shot... the timing was right to slide in before the next gen (which is frankly lackluster as far as the trickle of games that truly benefit from new hardware).  Unfortunately with years of delays (not all their own fault), and lack of world wide sales... they are kind of screwed.  Pretty sure the Atari name is cursed.  Much like Commodore.  The actual hardware itself is quite good, it is open so even if Atari fails, and no new games come out for it, it will be more useful than when say a PS3 can't log into a PSN account.  That will become a loud bluray player at that point.  Hell, an Atari VCS can be upgraded more than a modern macbook... where you are stuck with what you buy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, leech said:

I honestly have more fun playing Adventure 1 & 2 than I ever did Zelda.  Slicing every bush looking for something got annoying.  Breath of the wild had some good ideas, but was mostly boring.  Haven't bothered getting Tears of the Kingdom... but having a blast playing Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom.

And yet Zelda has around 20 games now, and Adventure has officially 2? And that's being generous with saying there are two games in the series. I wouldn't consider homebrews as official entries. Are we counting the 5200 or Flashback 2 one?

On a side note the EMR series make playing Adventure boring. One of my favorite homebrews.

As far as Zelda goes, Wind Waker is underrated and Ocarina is overrated.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like set top boxes are out of style. Remember the Nvidia Shield handheld, tablet, and TV box? It did everything the VCS could do and more but they haven’t seen fit to make a new one. That’s a much bigger/stronger company than Atari and I assume they know something about what will make them money. 

• Like 3

IMHO, Atari should just license a PC OEM company to make & sell Atari branded mini PCs with Ryzen chips.  It's just easier to slap a Fuji logo and woodgrain on an existing design then to waste money doing custom cases & motherboards.  That way there would be more to ship out and sell through Amazon or whatever.  (Still include Atari OS but maybe add an option for an additional SSD with Windows or Ubuntu).

Since currently Atari has better luck with licesencing than actual manufacturing, just go with that instead...

Edited by MrMaddog
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Seems like set top boxes are out of style. Remember the Nvidia Shield handheld, tablet, and TV box? It did everything the VCS could do and more but they haven’t seen fit to make a new one. That’s a much bigger/stronger company than Atari and I assume they know something about what will make them money. 

Look what you can do with the latest iterations of the Firestick and Chromecast. They're pretty much on par with what the Shield TV could offer - in terms of games and media streaming at least - but you'll get change from fifty bucks, and sales that take the prices even lower aren't uncommon.

It's nigh impossible for anyone who isn't in the business of selling their own streaming services to compete with them though. There just isn't room to get any margin worth speaking of on the hardware.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is my reckless speculation... the Atari store will be ported over to other platforms like Windows and Linux. This will likely be later, rather than sooner.

There are so many mini-PCs out there. This seems to be the hot new trend. They could release Atari OS so people can roll their own Atari box out of these mini-PCs. Atari could also establish a partnership with one of these manufacturers and do a limited Atari VCS 2 run.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Zoyx said:

I belong to the reckless speculation crowd. It's a lifestyle!

12 hours ago, Gunther said:

Possibly the Polymega Remix 2600/7800.

Tomorrow cannot come sooner.

At no point did I say it was the Polymega Remix, so don't get your panties in a twist.

Since when has the word possibly ever been used to confirm anything as a concrete fact?

Stay salty...

14 hours ago, Gunther said:

What is it then?

Really?  🙂

You're not seeing the console they are clearly showing you?  Look again, carefully.  It's not the original one, looks slightly different around the switches.

We'll know for sure later today.

Edited by THX-1138