IGNORED

MR. RUN AND JUMP 2600

Travis McClellan

Well I finally got my limited edition copy in the mail today after all these months and delays only to open the shipping box and see the game box with a big crease down the front that runs from top to bottom. Talk about being annoyed and disappointed... Sad part is there is no damage whatsoever to the shipping box which mean this crease was visible and present when it was boxed up and did not happen in transit. Not exactly good quality control or customer service from a big company. Will make me reconsider future purchases. 

20240716_134823.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Neogeoman said:

Well I finally got my limited edition copy in the mail today after all these months and delays only to open the shipping box and see the game box with a big crease down the front that runs from top to bottom. Talk about being annoyed and disappointed... Sad part is there is no damage whatsoever to the shipping box which mean this crease was visible and present when it was boxed up and did not happen in transit. Not exactly good quality control or customer service from a big company. Will make me reconsider future purchases. 

20240716_134823.jpg

That sucks. I hope mine doesn't end up like that.  Because I live in Canada, I had mine shipped to a friend in the US first, who's then going to forward it on to me.  Double the chance for damage.  Are you going to request a replacement box or some kind of compensation?  I know I would.

On 7/16/2024 at 2:18 PM, Neogeoman said:

20240716_134823.jpg

Got my Mr Run and Jump Limited today and want to report the same basic experience, the box has several crease marks on its front and a dip in the bottom center line, also the plastic is extremely tight crushing the box. It doesn't look good, frankly, and the standard Run and Jump did. Oof! At the least I'll need to take the plastic wrap off to try to save the box over time, but it'll still be a box with shipped dings in it that happened prior to being placed into the shipping box.

Just want to chime in that I also received Outlaw and Mr. Run and Jump and the quality control on the outer boxes is horrible.  It looks like the wrap got overheated as there are small black particles trapped between the box and wrap and I have crushing and dents on both boxes.  Of course, the shipping boxes are pristine, so this was pre-existing damage and they shipped them anyway.  Horrible decision and it will likely be my last purchase from "Atari".  

Off topic, but when I look at those two button Atari 7800 controllers, image.jpeg.ef74af26af2578830680ec013ac973d5.jpeg  I can't believe that in the whole 45+ year history of Atari 2600, nobody ever produced a two-button joystick for Atari 2600 (I imagine that it would plug into both the player one and player two joystick jacks in the back of the console and use Player 2's fire button as the second button).  This special two button controller could only be used, obviously, then, for one player games.  But look at the games that could have used it: Xevious (shoot or drop bombs), Commando, Front Line and Ikari Warriors (shoot or lob grenades) just to name a few.  Those were all one player games, anyway, so why not use player 2's fire button to make an awesome 2-button controller for Atari 2600?  

On 7/19/2024 at 6:26 PM, Living Room Arcade said:

Off topic, but when I look at those two button Atari 7800 controllers, image.jpeg.ef74af26af2578830680ec013ac973d5.jpeg  I can't believe that in the whole 45+ year history of Atari 2600, nobody ever produced a two-button joystick for Atari 2600 (I imagine that it would plug into both the player one and player two joystick jacks in the back of the console and use Player 2's fire button as the second button).  This special two button controller could only be used, obviously, then, for one player games.  But look at the games that could have used it: Xevious (shoot or drop bombs), Commando, Front Line and Ikari Warriors (shoot or lob grenades) just to name a few.  Those were all one player games, anyway, so why not use player 2's fire button to make an awesome 2-button controller for Atari 2600?  

The Booster Grip says hi:  AtariAge - Atari 2600 Controllers - Booster Grip

I came here to discuss Mr. Run and Jump a bit, but this thread is really just a mausoleum for the collectors edition (I got from Woot).  Is there another thread that explains the weird flickering.  it doesn't seem line based, more like a "choice" to flicker, but I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Also, was the ROM ever made available?  I'd like to use save states to limit my compulsions to throw the controller at the screen.

Edit - No links allowed, but since I own both a physical cart and the Windows release on Steam, I don't mind revealing that the rom can be found easily.  

2 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Is there another thread that explains the weird flickering.

This kind of flickers happens if you code like the 2600 was designed for in the 70ies. There are only 2 sprites available, if you have more sprite objects on the screen, you have to flicker.

Or you use the long common, more advanced coding, which allows you to reuse the same sprite multiple times per frame. You only have to make sure that the reused sprites are vertically separated. Sometimes this would require some tweaking of the levels. But in the end the extra effort is totally worth it.

• Like 5

Also, for anyone interested-- Mr. Run and Jump is now available for $15.00 (instead of $30.00) with free shipping if you use Amazon:

* https://electronics.woot.com/offers/mr-run-and-jump

The offer appears to only be good for the next 3 days or until stock runs out.  I picked one up myself, just to try it out, and it only took a few days to arrive.

Note: I am not read-up enough to know which edition this is, or if the free shipping applies internationally.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Propane13 said:

Note: I am not read-up enough to know which edition this is, or if the free shipping applies internationally.

Standard. Orange box is the Standard Edition. Silver is Limited Edition. I long ago purchased and received the Standard Edition. This is a much better price for this game, as IMO, it’s an okay game. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

This kind of flickers happens if you code like the 2600 was designed for in the 70ies. There are only 2 sprites available, if you have more sprite objects on the screen, you have to flicker.

Or you use the long common, more advanced coding, which allows you to reuse the same sprite multiple times per frame. You only have to make sure that the reused sprites are vertically separated. Sometimes this would require some tweaking of the levels. But in the end the extra effort is totally worth it.

Thank you and yeah, I was aware of this method which is what I was referring to as "Line Based."   In the case of Mr. Run and Jump there are flickering sprites NOT on the same horizontal line that flicker all the time.  Looks weird compared to like . . . every other 2600 game since right after they figured this out.

30 minutes ago, wongojack said:

In the case of Mr. Run and Jump there are flickering sprites NOT on the same horizontal line that flicker all the time. 

Yes, the display kernel is pretty much 1979 or so standard. 

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Propane13 said:

Also, for anyone interested-- Mr. Run and Jump is now available for $15.00 (instead of $30.00) with free shipping if you use Amazon:

* https://electronics.woot.com/offers/mr-run-and-jump

The offer appears to only be good for the next 3 days or until stock runs out.  I picked one up myself, just to try it out, and it only took a few days to arrive.

Thanks for the heads-up on that. I've been playing the game on my VCS and actually enjoy it much more than the "modern" version, which is just way too difficult for me. It would be nice to have the game on cart, and for that price you're simply not going to find a better deal for it.

Is there any way to make Stella stop the flicker?

I got to the end level where the background is "invisible."  Total sh!+e if you ask me.  Can Stella display the background as a different color in that section?

1 minute ago, Living Room Arcade said:

No Atari hasn't publicly released the ROM for Mr. Run and Jump (but you probably already knew that, right?) and I'm calling the bosses!  

@Albert  @Ben from Plaion   

That's above my pay grade since I'm not presently helping with these releases, but I will certainly ask if releasing the ROM at some point is a possibility.  My guess would be no, though.

..Al

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wongojack said:

Is there any way to make Stella stop the flicker?

You could enable phosphor (if 2600+ allowed that). But in general, Stella emulates what is there as faithful as possible. It is not meant to create fake output.

7 hours ago, wongojack said:

I got to the end level where the background is "invisible."  Total sh!+e if you ask me.  Can Stella display the background as a different color in that section?

You could try playing developer colors (again, if 2600+ would allow that).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Living Room Arcade said:

@Albert  Mr. Albert, don't you want to delete the user's post, above?  And @Ben from Plaion Mr. Ben, don't you want to ask Atari's lawyers to send a letter to Reddit demanding that they take down the pirate link on their website?  

Aww, so cute.  Thank God you're here to help fight piracy.  If only someone could stop people from searching for Roms on Reddit, then the world would be a safer place.

I'll edit my comment above.  Wouldn't want to let people know that Roms get shared online via the biggest platforms for information sharing ever created.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2024 at 12:13 PM, Mockduck said:

Got my Mr Run and Jump Limited today and want to report the same basic experience, the box has several crease marks on its front and a dip in the bottom center line, also the plastic is extremely tight crushing the box. It doesn't look good, frankly, and the standard Run and Jump did. Oof! At the least I'll need to take the plastic wrap off to try to save the box over time, but it'll still be a box with shipped dings in it that happened prior to being placed into the shipping box.

Yea it looks like a lot of us are in the same boat. Cant believe that a game box with clearly visible physical damage is boxed up with that damage and SHIPPED out to the buyer that way. The shipping box was sturdy and had no damage. Even worse we had to wait a year for it. That's not how you do business and I'll reconsider future purchases.