IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

20 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

PAl-50 games should look fine, PAL-60 games not. The latter because Stella assumes they are NTSC.

Well, they can always add an option into the interface to change that, right? Not user friendly, but VERY helpful to us, brazilians and our collections of official Polivox carts :)

Edited by protomank

16 minutes ago, protomank said:

Well, they can always add an option into the interface to change that, right? 

AFAIK as of now there is no access to the UI. And the console has no extra buttons which could be mapped for UI access. 

So it would require a change of Stella to somehow make this possible. And from what I have heard from Atari, the console is meant for casual gaming,. Which implies it should work out of the box without any user settings. 

Summary: I cannot see this happening anytime soon. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

We're ten days before release, so I'm guessing we'll be getting more 2600+ info / pics / videos soon

Yeah, I want to see unboxing and first impressions, even if console is not (yet) available for sale in Brazil. As a software engineer, I do like emulation quite a lot, it is very fascinating.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

AFAIK as of now there is no access to the UI. And the console has no extra buttons which could be mapped for UI access. 

It'd be kinda neat if Atari put some hidden buttons underneath the "chin" of the 2600+: one each for "Menu" and "Back". The joystick would control selections and the fire button for "OK".

9 minutes ago, SuperZapperRecharge said:

As far as a UI for settings

Just turn on the console without a cart and use the joystick to navigate a settings menu. Easy enough!

The problem is, that Stella can only run a dialog with a cart or with the (here disabled) launcher. 

5 hours ago, Robert1972 said:

A Huge thanks to Pboland for the replacement labels.

I've also bought a bunch of the Pboland replacement labels - mostly Activision as you may imagine.

I've got dozens of carts ready to go for when my 2600+ arrives!

• Like 2

On 11/5/2023 at 5:53 PM, dashv said:

Here’s hoping there is a breakthrough with the touchpad. Star Raiders is calling my name. Spent so much time on that as a kid.

Really psyched to see the UK gamepad on deck for release!!! I’ve debated importing a pair for a long while.

I have only been lurking through half of this thread so maybe I missed it. But how healthy is the relationship between the Atari+ project and the emulator authors whose work is being leveraged?

Love seeing all the behind the scenes stuff!

IMG_1657.jpeg

Nice original big sixer you got there bro!

Last time I talked about the Keypad the factory was not optimistic about getting it to work. I'll bring it up again.

Nothing further from me at the moment on unannounced accessories. ;-) 

There has been dialogue from the very start till now. How good that dialogue has been is in the eye of the beholder.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, protomank said:

In previous posts Ben talked about video filters options. So, yes, there will be a GUI for options, as far as I understood. (not maybe in first version).

Got a couple of betas I've seen, one with an auto select 50/60hz output and one with a save game option. I also instructed work to be done to further improve homebrew compatibilty for 7800 (basically adding new headers for a couple of games and they do now work) which will require an firmware / dumper update.

I really liked the blocky Stella config menu Thomas posted earlier in the thread (seemed perfect to me as a some sort of hidden engineer menu) but was told that this was the windows version and it would be some work to implement it on 2600+. I hope to revisit this.

I dont really know exactly what changes we are going to make in the future and when we'll make live. I presume as soon as the machine is launched we'll make more concrete steps in this regard.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I really liked the blocky Stella config menu Thomas posted earlier in the thread (seemed perfect to me as a some sort of hidden engineer menu) but was told that this was the windows version and it would be some work to implement it on 2600+. I hope to revisit this.

Not sure who told you so, but that menu was written for the R77, which runs Linux. Stella is fully compatible with Windows, MacOS and Linux.

• Like 5

On 11/7/2023 at 7:40 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

So it would require a change of Stella to somehow make this possible. And from what I have heard from Atari, the console is meant for casual gaming,. Which implies it should work out of the box without any user settings. 

Summary: I cannot see this happening anytime soon. 

I'm interested to see what happens when someone plugs in a keyboard and mouse, along with a boot USB, to the USB-C connector...

16 hours ago, Robert1972 said:

Getting ready for the Big day. Cant wait. A Huge thanks to Pboland for the replacement labels. Only have about another 10 games to take apart/clean and re-label. One more box of games to bring upstairs from the basement.

I CAN'T WAIT ANYMORE!!! AHHH!!!

• Like 2