IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

8 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Hasn't high import taxes always been a problem with videogame hardware distribution in Brazil?

Not sure about today I bet the big three have dealt with that nowadays with Brazil being such a big market, but still in the back of my mind I recall lots of clone machines being sold and not official machines, interested to hear your view

The (very, very dumb) law is that if you "produce" the item in the country, taxes are way lower. And by producing, it is just puttying all in a box with translated manuals and safety labels adaptations to local market. So, even in 1983, what Atari did was to make a deal with a company know for their quality sound systems (Gradiente/Polyvox) and sent all the major parts (circuits, PCB and other internals) to be put inside the box, and all good, the importing tax goes from 60% + other taxes to something like 10% to 15%. This is still done that way by Sony, for PS5, for example.

But even if importing the object already assembled, companies have ways to lower importing taxes if they have a "factory" in the Amazon forest Manaus city, that is a zero taxes zone. I know Mattel is doing something like that to bring their products here, even if assembled in east Asia, because the price is not that high.

Edited by protomank
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, protomank said:

The (very, very dumb) law is that if you "produce" the item in the country, taxes are way lower. And by producing, it is just puttying all in a box with translated manuals and safety labels adaptations to local market. So, even in 1983, what Atari did was to make a deal with a company know for their quality sound systems (Gradiente/Polyvox) and sent all the major parts (circuits, PCB and other internals) to be put inside the box, and all good, the importing tax goes from 60% + other taxes to something like 10% to 15%. This is still done that way by Sony, for PS5, for example.

But even if importing the object already assembled, companies have ways to lower importing taxes if they have a "factory" in the Amazon forest Manaus city, that is a zero taxes zone. I know Mattel is doing something like that to bring their products here, even if assembled in east Asia, because the price is not that high.

I'm no regional macro economic policy expert, but from a layman's view I wonder why they insist on such restrictions to trade.

• Like 3

I saw a YT comment somewhere, so I can't really take credit for this idea, but someone suggested new cartridges with a combo of the 2600 and 7800 version of the same game, as happened a few times, and include a basic game selection menu.  Not sure a menu would be feasible, the system has to known which emulator subsystem to use, but I think it might be a novel application for the dip switches if doable, or just for mixed 2600/7800 future multi-carts in general.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, atwwong said:

Does anyone have the PAL version of 7800 Ballblazer to test with the new firmware?

I do - I just need to restore my pokey chip back in to it as it didn't load when I tried it the past week 👍

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, remowilliams said:

I just noticed that H.E.R.O. (NTSC cart) movement is inconsistent and extremely jerky...

At first glance it looks like frame skips. But something is weird. Usually the player should move 1 pixel per frame. So if a frame is skipped the movement should look like this ...1, 1, 1, 0, 2, 1, 1, 1... But it also does this ...1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 2, 1, 1... So after the frame skipped, a normal move follows. And only after that the double move happens.

Maybe your TV is doing something strange. Or is anyone else experiencing this?

From my testing, on the beta firmware, the following PAL 7800 carts won't start, same as on shipped firmware:

Food Fight

Joust 

Choplifter

Then the following carts start up but don't run correctly:

PAL Ballblazer runs in 50hz and has same glitches as stock firmware (not playable)

PAL Commando runs in 50hz, gets to title screen but resets when I try to start the game with button 2, same as stock firmware.

Interesting is Ms Pacman. It starts in 60hz, has the same glitch as stock firmware (not playable). Definitely a PAL cart, complete with 'P' sticker. (Might be a duff cart)

Edited by Dr Karnov
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

From my testing, on the beta firmware, the following PAL 7800 carts won't start, same as on shipped firmware:

Food Fight

Joust 

Choplifter

Then the following carts start up but don't run correctly:

PAL Ballblazer runs in 50hz and has same glitches as stock firmware (not playable)

PAL Commando runs in 50hz, gets to title screen but resets when I try to start the game with button 2, same as stock firmware.

Interesting is Ms Pacman. It starts in 60hz, has the same glitch as stock firmware (not playable). Definitely a PAL cart, complete with 'P' sticker. (Might be a duff cart)

All these PAL 7800 games issues I beleive are emulation based and thats being adressed in a diffferent beta

• Like 5