IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

17 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

PAL River Raid running on shipped firmware in 60hz:

Same cart, running in 50hz on beta firmware 

Bit tricky to see any differences on screen captures. To your eyes is there any noticable differences? 50hz should run smooth. Although even saying that I read somewhere Activision didnt take as much care in PAL versions with timings.

35 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Bit tricky to see any differences on screen captures. To your eyes is there any noticable differences? 50hz should run smooth. Although even saying that I read somewhere Activision didnt take as much care in PAL versions with timings.

I wonder if TV settings like "trumotion" or "motionflow" (or whatever the TV brand calls it) are performing poorly with the 2600+

• Like 1

I've done a little bit of testing on a new beta firmware version. This build still runs PAL carts in 50hz same as the last beta, but now it runs all carts (2600 & 7800, PAL and NTSC) in 1080p.

Overall compatibility is the same at shipped firmware, but it looks like PAL Ballblazer runs better than before (but still not perfect)

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I've done a little bit of testing on a new beta firmware version. This build still runs PAL carts in 50hz same as the last beta, but now it runs all carts (2600 & 7800, PAL and NTSC) in 1080p.

Overall compatibility is the same at shipped firmware, but it looks like PAL Ballblazer runs better than before (but still not perfect)

Still convinced its a emulation issue. Just got lucky with a 1080 refresh rate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ben from Plaion said:

The framerates are fine, but the game speed is not adjusted to the lower frame rate (lame!). So everything is significantly slower. And Pitfall! lasts much longer than 20 minutes.

• Like 2

Just now, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The framerates are fine, but the game speed is not adjusted to the lower frame rate (lame!). So everything is significantly slower. And Pitfall! lasts much longer than 20 minutes.

Lol I wonder if it was your post from years ago I read on AA about Activision not following the Atari guidelines for NTSC to PAL conversion?

40 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Lol I wonder if it was your post from years ago I read on AA about Activision not following the Atari guidelines for NTSC to PAL conversion?

Could well be.

Atari urged to use fractional math, but Activision did everything frame based.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

Sorry to go off-topic and talk about preorders, but mine arrived today after a delay from Atari.

I found it slightly amusing that the Paddle box and extra Joystick box had tape on the top to keep it securely shut, but no tape on the bottom. Hardly a big deal in the general scheme of things, but something I wonder about when there’s a discussion on packaging and how certain decisions are made.

As much as the centerpiece is the 2600+, my biggest joy came from the sealed game boxes for Berzerk and Mr. Run and Jump. As a kid, I remember going to department stores and seeing either on the wall behind a counter, or a glass display case on the floor, dozens and dozens of 2600 games. 

I’ve tried to create that somewhat in the house and it always provides some joy and good memories from those days. (Although back then it was usually 5 or so copies of each game in the stores.)

GameShelf.JPG

• Like 13

Mine arrived around mid week. I absolutely love it. The controller feels really good to use and solid. IMG_4186.thumb.jpeg.78d3b4cb3914f5173b996a83be862346.jpeg

There’s only a few carts in my collection so far, and of those, a couple don’t work. They probably just need more cleaning.

I can’t wait to see the support this device receives going forward. 
I’m so grateful this was made!

Playing on this feels so much better than what I was using before, one of the flashback units.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I've gotten a couple of 7800 games (which of course don't run at the moment because they are PAL version), but I don't have a 7800 controller with two buttons.
I vaguely remember having seen somewhere that a CX-78+ (European variant of the 7800 controller) was in the works, but I've not see any recent details about that: Should I wait for it, or should I go for an original CX-78 on eBay or possibly even the "Retropad" recreation?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dbug said:

I've gotten a couple of 7800 games (which of course don't run at the moment because they are PAL version), but I don't have a 7800 controller with two buttons.
I vaguely remember having seen somewhere that a CX-78+ (European variant of the 7800 controller) was in the works, but I've not see any recent details about that: Should I wait for it, or should I go for an original CX-78 on eBay or possibly even the "Retropad" recreation?

You can also use a Mega7800 adapter from different stores (Atariage, Dragon Box Shop,...) and connect a Genesis pad to have two buttons. 

I got it even with an 8bitdo receiver working:

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jake67 said:

Sorry to go off-topic and talk about preorders, but mine arrived today after a delay from Atari.

I found it slightly amusing that the Paddle box and extra Joystick box had tape on the top to keep it securely shut, but no tape on the bottom. Hardly a big deal in the general scheme of things, but something I wonder about when there’s a discussion on packaging and how certain decisions are made.

As much as the centerpiece is the 2600+, my biggest joy came from the sealed game boxes for Berzerk and Mr. Run and Jump. As a kid, I remember going to department stores and seeing either on the wall behind a counter, or a glass display case on the floor, dozens and dozens of 2600 games. 

I’ve tried to create that somewhat in the house and it always provides some joy and good memories from those days. (Although back then it was usually 5 or so copies of each game in the stores.)

GameShelf.JPG

Thank you for inviting me to tell you about how the packaging is made. 😁

Each product has a PDF cutting guide produced to start. I already generally know what I want in a cardboard engineering way, for the machine we think for a long time about the box opening experience as that moment is intense for consumers and if that experience is great it is a memory that never leaves you.

I then start looking at previous packaging and competitor packaging artwork of similar products for reference.

I start with a pencil on paper sketch.

Then I scan it and make rudimentory photoshop mockup.

Write all the text thats on the packaging and provide indication of where it should be with formatting and font type and size

Over to my graphic designer to start making several options to make it look professional with vector logos/text and hi-res renders of the machine

Back and forth tweaking the options.

Send to Atari.

Receive feedback/ammends, complete them send back.

This goes on for a while.

Agree final design with Atari.

Submit to head office creative team for final checks.

Send final artwork to printers to make print proofs.

Maybe more work on the internals cardboard with the printers engineer.

Make final decisions on type of card - fluted/solid board, what GSM, finish of base / spot UV gloss positioning.

Receive print proofs, confirm everything again.

Print real life boxes. Review them to check everything is fine and then approve to go to mass production.

Here is an image of a design that just lost out to the clean white VCS style we went for in the end. Note is was before the + was added to the name.

ATARI2600_ANGLE.png

Edited by Ben from Plaion
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 7

5 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I truly loved that! Thank you, Ben. I imagine there are meetings, or at least a flurry of e-mails, about the smallest things that most consumers wouldn’t think about, yet fully play into how people will respond when they interact with the product. 

When my pre-order arrived yesterday, I immediately wrapped up the main box. As mentioned earlier, my mom (who arranged for us to get a 2600 when I was a kid) doesn’t know this yet but this is her gift to me for Christmas. She’s at that age where she just gives the kids and grandkids money so they can buy what they want.

So I'm anxious to see her reaction when I unwrap it in front of her in a few weeks. That box, from the cover artwork to what it looks like when it’s opened, will be nice when she sees it for the first time. Dodge ‘Em was one of the main games we played, so it’s nice that one is on the included cart. (And it’s the reason it’s my avatar here.)

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jake67 said:

I truly loved that! Thank you, Ben. I imagine there are meetings, or at least a flurry of e-mails, about the smallest things that most consumers wouldn’t think about, yet fully play into how people will respond when they interact with the product. 

When my pre-order arrived yesterday, I immediately wrapped up the main box. As mentioned earlier, my mom (who arranged for us to get a 2600 when I was a kid) doesn’t know this yet but this is her gift to me for Christmas. She’s at that age where she just gives the kids and grandkids money so they can buy what they want.

So I'm anxious to see her reaction when I unwrap it in front of her in a few weeks. That box, from the cover artwork to what it looks like when it’s opened, will be nice when she sees it for the first time. Dodge ‘Em was one of the main games we played, so it’s nice that one is on the included cart. (And it’s the reason it’s my avatar here.)

Perfect.

10 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Each product has a PDF cutting guide produced to start. I already generally know what I want in a cardboard engineering way, for the machine we think for a long time about the box opening experience as that moment is intense for consumers and if that experience is great it is a memory that never leaves you.

I then start looking at previous packaging and competitor packaging artwork of similar products for reference.

I start with a pencil on paper sketch.

Then I scan it and make rudimentory photoshop mockup.

Write all the text thats on the packaging and provide indication of where it should be with formatting and font type and size

Over to my graphic designer to start making several options to make it look professional with vector logos/text and hi-res renders of the machine

Back and forth tweaking the options.

Send to Atari.

Receive feedback/ammends, complete them send back.

This goes on for a while.

Agree final design with Atari.

Submit to head office creative team for final checks.

Send final artwork to printers to make print proofs.

Maybe more work on the internals cardboard with the printers engineer.

Make final decisions on type of card - fluted/solid board, what GSM, finish of base / spot UV gloss positioning.

Receive print proofs, confirm everything again.

Print real life boxes. Review them to check everything is fine and then approve to go to mass production.

Here is an image of a design that just lost out to the clean white VCS style we went for in the end. Note is was before the + was added to the name.

ATARI2600_ANGLE.png

I loved the unboxing experience. Thank you for all your attention to detail there. Also I love this preliminary design but it’s no contest to the final one which is outstanding

• Like 1