IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

I was wondering one thing, that maybe @Ben from Plaion knows the answer to.

Given that the Atari 7800 has 32 pins, and the 5200 36, but 4 can be ignored, 1 not used and 4 duplicated ground ones; would it be possible to create an adapter for the 5200 cartridges that goes into the Plus slot and the dumper to load the game?

Circuit-wise it seems possible, I just do not know if the dumper could actually get the from from it. Would be really cool, as there are quite a few games int he 5200 I find better than the 7800.

Just curious :)

2 hours ago, protomank said:

I was wondering one thing, that maybe @Ben from Plaion knows the answer to.

Given that the Atari 7800 has 32 pins, and the 5200 36, but 4 can be ignored, 1 not used and 4 duplicated ground ones; would it be possible to create an adapter for the 5200 cartridges that goes into the Plus slot and the dumper to load the game?

Circuit-wise it seems possible, I just do not know if the dumper could actually get the from from it. Would be really cool, as there are quite a few games int he 5200 I find better than the 7800.

Just curious :)

I've been curious about this too. We'll investigate in the New Year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Does this mean that the update is imminent? Or will it be in the new year now with more fixes? 

Thanks again. 

Development work is done. Everything I mentioned I would do has been completed. Few additional things have been added. Only omission is no work has been done on MNetwork bank switching because I haven't yet got any carts.

There was 2 developers working and now I'm waiting for their work to be merged together.

Then test and release. Thinking I may release it as a beta on Atari Age first.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7

32 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Development work is done. Everything I mentioned I would do has been completed. Few additional things have been added. Only omission is no work has been done on MNetwork bank switching because I haven't yet got any carts.

There was 2 developers working and now I'm waiting for their work to be merged together.

Then test and release. Thinking I may release it as a beta on Atari Age first.

Wow Ben, great update. Well done to you and the team.

I saw you mention Pitall 2 in a comment, could games with added chips really be made compatible? I had assumed not, unless the chip for each particular cart that has one is emulated in Stella too. I am guessing here as I am no developer.

1 minute ago, JetmanUK said:

Wow Ben, great update. Well done to you and the team.

I saw you mention Pitall 2 in a comment, could games with added chips really be made compatible? I had assumed not, unless the chip for each particular cart that has one is emulated in Stella too. I am guessing here as I am no developer.

Thanks but I need to see it all work before I start cracking out the champers. 

Plus there will be more to do.

Came out a couple of weeks ago that Pitfall2 maybe bootable, even Thomas seemed enthusiastic about the theory. But we've not done anything yet, after the update is out we'll test the theory

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Thanks but I need to see it all work before I start cracking out the champers. 

Plus there will be more to do.

Came out a couple of weeks ago that Pitfall2 maybe bootable, even Thomas seemed enthusiastic about the theory. But we've not done anything yet, after the update is out we'll test the theory

Haha, I am sure it will be a very worthwhile update, whenever it lands.

Right, more great news, lets hope it can work. I don't actually own a Pitfall 2 cart myself, too expensive! Ha

Perhaps now that Activision is part of MS and Phil Spencer is big into game preservation then perhaps Acti games can be licensed for re-release on the 2600. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr Karnov said:

What is the nature of the glitch?

2 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

What is the nature of the glitch?

The yellow submarine has flickering stripes underneath it and you can't move it. The planes come across but then it resets and does the same thing every few seconds. 

As I typed that I tried it again. It's already been cleaned three times, but I really jiggled it in the slot and flicked the power on and off. It worked! Maybe I have a flaky cartridge, I have had one good boot from around 30. Just tried again and it's glitched again. I'll try yet another clean, perhaps worn contacts? 

On 12/19/2023 at 6:45 PM, Dr Karnov said:

And here's PAL Polaris on the same firmware

IMG_20231219_184424.jpg

I just received Polaris in the post today, it loads up but is glitched and doesn't play properly, so I guess this is fixed in the new firmware too. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I've cleaned the cart multiple times and I would say I have maybe one good boot out of 4 or 5 attempts.

If it loads up fine then I can play it for as long as I like with no glitching

I've managed two good boots. Many more tried now and nope. Glitch to the right of the text and the glitchy sub. Hmmmm 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

Also, PAL Ballblazer working perfectly with no graphical glitches at all

Great, I don't have this... yet, anyway. 

Oh in addition to my other 7800 PAL games that don't work (Choplifter, Karateka and Ms Pac-Man) Xevious doesn't work either. Hoping they are all on the working list now too. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Great, I don't have this... yet, anyway. 

Oh in addition to my other 7800 PAL games that don't work (Choplifter, Karateka and Ms Pac-Man) Xevious doesn't work either. Hoping they are all on the working list now too. :)

On the beta I'm currently testing, my PAL carts of Ms Pacman and Choplifter are not  working.

I know that overall 7800 emulation / compatibility is being worked on as we speak

• Sad 2