IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

On 11/16/2023 at 7:50 AM, 82-T/A said:

I love that Atari 7800 gamepad. My 7800 never had that, we had the proline ones (I guess those are the European ones). Do they sell new ones like this? I would absolutely love to get an NES-style gamepad. Did you buy this one used / original, or was it something aftermarket? Thanks!!!

Bought it online from here...

https://retrogameboyz.com/products/copy-of-atari-7800-controller-2600-joystick-control-pad-gamepad-rainbow?variant=39309806665783

11 hours ago, Hawkeye68 said:

According to this CNN review, Adventure and Yar's Revenge cannot be recommended due to "dangerous" flashing.

https://www.cnn.com/cnn-underscored/reviews/atari-2600-plus

We still enjoyed our childhood favorite Adventure’s lo-fi looks and sounds, and its small but satisfying puzzles. But Adventure and Yars’ Revenge use flashing, which can cause seizures, motion sickness and migraines. Even though we know these games are beloved, we can’t recommend them, not even with photosensitivity warnings.

Just comical.  I wonder where this killjoy was at when we were all buying strobe lights at Radio Shack and Spencer's.

This is like the most ridiculous thing in the world. I realize some people have issues with these things, but this is like telling everyone not to eat peanut butter because someone somewhere might go into anaphylactic shock. I mean, could they not have just been a bit more down to earth and not so absurdly pearl-clutchy and just said something like...

blah blah Adventure and Yars' Revenge are awesome... but people with photosensitivity might want to sit this one out. (there... end it, move on).

11 hours ago, Chemical Burrito said:

Just wait until this reviewer sees ... well, any game by Jeff Minter.

A personal game hero of mine... I love all his games.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

This is like the most ridiculous thing in the world. I realize some people have issues with these things, but this is like telling everyone not to eat peanut butter because someone somewhere might go into anaphylactic shock. I mean, could they not have just been a bit more down to earth and not so absurdly pearl-clutchy and just said something like...

blah blah Adventure and Yars' Revenge are awesome... but people with photosensitivity might want to sit this one out. (there... end it, move on).

I get a strong feeling this reviewer wasn't born yet for the 2600 back in it's heyday. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, karri said:

My point is still valid. If you want to be able to run complex homebrews on 2600+ you need to tell the emulators how to run them. All schemes requiring updating md5 databases are pretty slow and tedious to maintain.

The other option is to allow the end user to tick boxes in a menu to tweak the settings for a game. Perhaps this is the best practical solution after all. The settings could then be automatically saved for the md5 hash. So you only need to do it once.

Having a fallback is not a bad idea and should not be very hard to implement. You could even just put the md5 directly into the header to simplify things. It does make sense to have this option. It could even be easier to future, as Atari 2600+ would not need to add special cases in the dumper code, could just rely on Stella for handling it.

6 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

When did that crash happen? Close after the start (most likely a bad dump) or later on (could be anything).

I was probably 5 or 6 rooms into Berzerk when it happened.  Played it for a couple of hours after (Berzerk and some other games) and nothing else happened.

Got my tracking number! Hasn't shipped yet, but seems like it will probably arrive JUST before Thanksgiving, or the day after. Either way, I'll be able to play it next weekend at least is my guess... really looking forward to it.

I have two Tupper Ware bins of 100+ each Atari 2600 games. In one of the bins, I individually wrapped each cartridge in a folded over comic book sleeve. I have absolutely no idea why I did that... lol... 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, karri said:

My point is still valid.

For sure!

2 hours ago, karri said:

If you want to be able to run complex homebrews on 2600+ you need to tell the emulators how to run them. All schemes requiring updating md5 databases are pretty slow and tedious to maintain.

I know. Stella is currently (mostly) circumventing this with its auto detection capabilities.

2 hours ago, karri said:

The other option is to allow the end user to tick boxes in a menu to tweak the settings for a game. Perhaps this is the best practical solution after all. The settings could then be automatically saved for the md5 hash. So you only need to do it once.

That's what Stella is doing (also via imported properties or command line). 

Anyway, I (and others) had suggested such a header some years ago, IIRC not only once. But there was always too little interest. And I am not sure if that has changed now. People would have to adapt their tools (not only the emulators). And we are very retro. :) 

• Like 2

These guys at the Embracer archive really helped me testing compatibility on hundreds of original carts. I recall soldering early test PCBs at that very desk. Also the second photo has the first 3d printed prototype of the 2600+, it has only a 2600 socket, before we finally decided to include the 7800 compatibilty. Great guys there and a mesmersing place to visit if you like retro videogames.

https://embracergamesarchive.com/atari2600/

• Like 6

https://atari.com/blogs/newsroom/an-icon-returns-the-atari-2600-is-out-today

NEW RELEASES 11.17.2023

AN ICON RETURNS: THE ATARI 2600+ IS OUT TODAY

The Atari 2600+ – a modern day faithful recreation of the pioneering console that first appeared in 1980 – has officially released today. Units have started shipping to pre-order customers.

Atari and Plaion also today revealed three new accessories: 

the CX78+ Gamepad (supporting two-button 7800 games)

a standalone CX30+ Paddle Pack, and

an accessory extension cable. 

Additionally, coming early 2024 we will be bringing four additional 7800/2600 games to market. More details on retailer availability to come soon.  

For our retro enthusiasts looking to check if their collection is compatible with the Atari 2600+, following thorough testing we are happy to confirm a 99% compatibility rate with just under 600 games tested. An updated compatibility list can be found on Atari.com. 

The Atari 2600+ is launching with ten of the most recognized video games in Atari’s history, including Adventure® and Missile Command®, the Atari 2600+ has been created using modern technology to authentically replicate the original 4-switch Atari 2600 Video Game System. For those looking to relive the gameplay experiences of the ‘70s and '80s, included with the Atari 2600+ is the CX40+ Joystick Controller, recreated with the same size and layout as the original 2600 Joystick Controller for that added touch of nostalgia.

Also available worldwide in stores today: The CX-30 Paddle Controller with 4-in-1 multi-game cartridge $39.99 (34.99€ / £29.99); a standalone CX-40 Joystick $24.99 (22.99€ / £19.99); Berzerk Enhanced Edition and Mr. Run and Jump for $29.99 (29.99€ / £24.99).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

I always eat peanut butter while playing Yar's Revenge!

Living on the Edge, View the Popular Living on the Edge eCard

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

The article links to an "updated compatibility" list. It looks like the old one to me. Was I too fast?

UGH I had a look earlier and the new one was live, looks like the old one is back there, I've asked for it to be refreshed

In the meantime here is the PDF version of the new one

73 changes. 68 move from 'Not Tested' or 'Fail' to now 'Pass' with 5 remaining or new 'Fails'

2600Plus Compatability launch day update.pdf

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Additionally, coming early 2024 we will be bringing four additional 7800/2600 games to market. More details on retailer availability to come soon.  

This is fantastic!  It makes me wonder if there is enough interest, will there be a video touch pad created or continued work on compatibility for the ones that are already out there?

2 minutes ago, Bitsized said:

This is fantastic!  It makes me wonder if there is enough interest, will there be a video touch pad created or continued work on compatibility for the ones that are already out there?

Here lies the issue, needs to sell in the thousands of units to pay for the investment in bringing it to market. I could be wrong but I dont see it getting close to break even for a video touch pad+

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

UGH I had a look earlier and the new one was live, looks like the old one is back there, I've asked for it to be refreshed

In the meantime here is the PDF version of the new one

73 changes. 68 move from 'Not Tested' or 'Fail' to now 'Pass' with 5 remaining or new 'Fails'

2600Plus Compatability launch day update.pdf 2.29 MB · 9 downloads

That one definitely looks better. FA (CBS) and E7 (M Network) seem to be the only old bankswitching schemes which are missing (and maybe UA too).

We know why Realsports Boxing is failing, but there seems to be no reason for 2 Pack Special Motocross + Boom Bang and James Bond. You should retest these. There may be more hidden problems. If they still fail, please post the dumps.

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

5 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Here lies the issue, needs to sell in the thousands of units to pay for the investment in bringing it to market. I could be wrong but I dont see it getting close to break even for a video touch pad+

Send me a pallet to sell via the AtariAge Store, please.  :)

..Al

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

That one definitely looks better. FA (CBS) and E7 (M Network) seem to be the only old bankswitching schemes which are missing (and maybe UA too).

We know why Realsports Boxing is failing, but there seems to be no reason for 2 Pack Special Motocross + Boom Bang and James Bond. You should retest these. There may be more hidden problems. If they still fail, please post the dumps.

I need to get my hands on the carts. This has always been the hard part.

Realsports Boxing cart and your suggested fix is with the dev assume that will be OK shortly, if not already done.

2 Pack Special Motocross + Boom Bang, weird one cause all other HES carts were fine. I did double check on an original 2600 and it did work.

Same with James Bond.

47 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

NEW RELEASES 11.17.2023

AN ICON RETURNS: THE ATARI 2600+ IS OUT TODAY

The Atari 2600+ – a modern day faithful recreation of the pioneering console that first appeared in 1980 – has officially released today. Units have started shipping to pre-order customers.

Atari and Plaion also today revealed three new accessories: 

For our retro enthusiasts looking to check if their collection is compatible with the Atari 2600+, following thorough testing we are happy to confirm a 99% compatibility rate with just under 600 games tested. An updated compatibility list can be found on Atari.com. 

The Atari 2600+ is launching with ten of the most recognized video games in Atari’s history, including Adventure® and Missile Command®, the Atari 2600+ has been created using modern technology to authentically replicate the original 4-switch Atari 2600 Video Game System. For those looking to relive the gameplay experiences of the ‘70s and '80s, included with the Atari 2600+ is the CX40+ Joystick Controller, recreated with the same size and layout as the original 2600 Joystick Controller for that added touch of nostalgia.

Also available worldwide in stores today: The CX-30 Paddle Controller with 4-in-1 multi-game cartridge $39.99 (34.99€ / £29.99); a standalone CX-40 Joystick $24.99 (22.99€ / £19.99); Berzerk Enhanced Edition and Mr. Run and Jump for $29.99 (29.99€ / £24.99).

Will the 4 additional games and the pad be available from Amazon UK?