IGNORED

The Atari 2600+ is live for preorders!

jgkspsx

8 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

My europad isn't working great with asteroids 7800. For some reason my ship will randomly hyperspace without a button press. Doesn't happen on original hardware. Odd I'm the only one this seems to be happening to

I have no asteroids to test but in Donkey Kong I had jumps without button press. The 2600+ ports seem to be more sensitiv?

Another pad and joystick worked fine on the 2600+.

On real HW the problem pad works of cause without any issues.

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Giles N said:

What about Motor Psycho PAL…?

Anyone tried it…?

Yes, Motor Psycho (PAL) works. I have tested the complete set of 49 Atari 7800 PAL games which were released back in the day, and I found the following 8 games that would not load at all or are unplayable:

• Ballblazer (very slow; unplayable because of screen flickering)
  • Choplifter! (black screen)
  • Commando (loads, but can't pass title screen)
  • Food Fight (black screen)
  • Joust (black screen)
  • Karateka (black screen)
  • Ms. Pac Man (crash screen)
  • Xevious (crash screen)

In addition to that:

• Galaga (playable, but bottom quarter of screen not visible)
  • Kung-Fu Master (playable, but background graphics messed up)
  • Title Match Pro Wrestling (playable, but annoying sound issues)
Edited by Dionoid
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Chemical Burrito said:

I tried a few rounds of Asteroids on the 2600+.  I did notice a few hyperspaces where I'm sure I didn't press the button.

Edit: Why are the buttons reversed on the 2600+?

On the 2600+, left button hyperspaces and right button fires.  On the 7800, right button hyperspaces and left button fires.  Same cartridge and controller.

Yes I noticed the reverse button issue too. I wonder if this is an issue that can be fixed via firmware updates because the random warps make one of my favorite 7800 games unplayable on the +

48 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

That is a surprise as you are the first reporting it as a pass.

I alwas get the same rubish on the screen, it does not look random.

The cart works on real HW

As many people complain about non working Enduro cart, I cleaned and testet it.

The slot of the 2600+ is not as tight as in a real 2600 Jr or 7800.

You can move the card after it got plugged in. By lifting it a bit (others have to push) I got Enduro to work.

So your slot might be a bit tighter or the cart is in perfect condition, as all others so far reported a fail (1:5)

IMG_20231120_100427.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Ok, if B button shoots, please try to press it continously (do not hold it) and see if a few bombs were dropped. I have this on Ikari Warriors and Basketbrawl.

Yes, I've done this. The second button only ever shoots and the first button only ever bombs. I played it for about 20 minutes 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I have PAL Ikari Warriors.

I'll test later and post results on here 

It should be fine.

There is a problem when you use extension cables with a 7800 pad or paddles.

Pin 5 and 9 seem to be more sensitive, so paddles and 7800 pads can have issues on the 2600+ with extension cables.

3/4 of my cables from the old days work ok on the 2600+ but all 4 new from ebay fail.

You won't have such problems with single button joysticks, only with Pro Line joysticks, 7800 pads and paddles.

That said, the failed cables work on real 7800 or my C64 without issues.

Edited by DEANJIMMY

1 hour ago, DEANJIMMY said:

3/4 of my cables from the old days work ok on the 2600+ but all 4 new from ebay fail.

Makes sense. Most cables today have aluminium cores with a very thin copper layer. In the old times they were copper. The newer cables work well for high speed signals but are crap for passing 5V.

It could also be that the 2600+ uses a lower voltage for the joysticks. Or lacks filtering on the inputs so that spurious noise can trigger things.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SparkleFork said:

Question: Does anyone know if Saboteur from the Atari Age store works on the 2600+ and if not, would it possible with a firmware revision? Cheers. 

Please check here.

Since it is not on the exclusion list, it should work.

2 hours ago, Dionoid said:

Yes, Motor Psycho (PAL) works. I have tested the complete set of 49 Atari 7800 PAL games which were released back in the day, and I found the following 8 games that would not load at all or are unplayable:

• Ballblazer (very slow; unplayable because of screen flickering)
  • Choplifter! (black screen)
  • Commando (loads, but can't pass title screen)
  • Food Fight (black screen)
  • Joust (black screen)
  • Karateka (black screen)
  • Ms. Pac Man (crash screen)
  • Xevious (crash screen)

In addition to that:

• Galaga (playable, but bottom quarter of screen not visible)
  • Kung-Fu Master (playable, but background graphics messed up)
  • Title Match Pro Wrestling (playable, but annoying sound issues)

I have had PAL Xevious and Choplifter 7800 games sent to me by a journalist received today, I've already sent them to the developer to test and fix.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I had forgetten the magic of blowing into the cart to get it to load. Written off a few Activision carts only to do a hearty breath into the cart and as if by magic not see the dreaded “loading failed” in red. I’m guessing I need to clean contacts? Ordered some isopropyl alcohol for the purpose, but I’m still breathing so I guess that will work too…

Edited by Sean_1970
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

I had forgetten the magic of blowing into the cart to get it to load. Written off a few Activision carts only to do a hearty breath into the cart and as if by magic not see the dreaded “loading failed” in red. I’m guessing I need to clean contacts? Ordered some isopropyl alcohol for the purpose, but I’m still breathing so I guess that will work too…

Yes, I found in testing that the blowing method didnt really work, ha! Its like grime in the atmosphere that builds up on the contacts over decades and really needs isopropyl with a qtip to get those contacts shiny again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1