IGNORED

2600+ w/7800 support

Goochman

FYI, folks - not good news:

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I spoke with the software developer said he said launch units ship with 1.3E

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

June 6, 2009 - wow.  A lot of issues were noted since that release.

Really hoping there is a firmware update sooner than later.

Unfortunately, this means the 2600+ will perform at least as poorly, though likely worse than, the test results shown with RetroArch.  Despite what is posted in the respective info file for the core plug-in, RetroArch has received some updates since the v1.3e, June 2009 release.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

FYI, folks - not good news:

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I spoke with the software developer said he said launch units ship with 1.3E

I wonder what the "E" part is, and where it comes from? What's annoying is that there are a lot of ProSystem fixes scattered around that could make the emulator behave a lot better at least. There are some in the ProSystem core of RetroArch for Rikki and Vikki; there are many in the DS7800 ProSystem port, and even more in JS7800 that could be backported. Even if they stuck with ProSystem, if Atari paid a skilled developer to integrate these fixes, they would ship with something that's a whole lot better than what we will likely see now.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Karl G said:

I wonder what the "E" part is, and where it comes from?

ProSystem 1.3e

*Insert RetroArch version here*

ProSystem 1.3f

ProSystem 1.3g

*Insert JS7800 version here*

Other builds stating 1.3e will be similar to RetroArch, containing perhaps a hack or fix for one or two games, but overall compatibility is v1.3e.

JS7800 sources really need to be leveraged for 2600+.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, swlovinist said:

Can the ProSystem 1.3e be updated if it ships that way?   Do later versions of the ProSystem recognize and play POKEY sound?   

They did say the 2600+ supports updating via USB, so any future updates (even including replacing ProSystem with some other emulator) would be technically possible...

Tho being a bit familiar with DEV platform selections, a change of course after the selection was made isn't something I'd bet on...

As for Pokey, tep392 said: Prosystem only supports POKEY at $4000

So some Pokey sound will work...

An interesting side note to this might (YES, this is a huge MIGHT) be that as a result of this choice, Prosystem gets improved.  Not just for the 2600+, but any improvements should get back to the tree...

So, maybe a silver lining???  (maybe?)  ;-)

11 hours ago, swlovinist said:

Thank you for the update Trebor.   Can the ProSystem 1.3e be updated if it ships that way?   Do later versions of the ProSystem recognize and play POKEY sound?   

A firmware update for 2600+ that leverages the JS7800 source files  - ProSystem core with a plethora of updates - would fix many things, including POKEY sound working at both @4000 and @450 locations.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I would tend to believe this guy :grin:

It's a wry statement. The emulation will "perform" amazingly fast if it doesn't emulate Maria faithfully. The screen will be messed up in several scenarios, but the framerate of that messed up screen will be fantastic!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 9/27/2023 at 10:53 AM, RevEng said:

It's a wry statement. The emulation will "perform" amazingly fast if it doesn't emulate Maria faithfully. The screen will be messed up in several scenarios, but the framerate of that messed up screen will be fantastic!

Ah, I see. Well isn't that lovely lmfao

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, ZippyOasys said:

I do not own a 2600+.  7800 compatibility - especially homebrews - and faithful emulation/simulation are important factors to me.  I'm waiting for an official updated compatibility guide that includes homebrews or feedback from others.   However, leveraging ProSystem 1.3e core with no substantial updates such as what was done with JS7800, will likely result in a pass for me for the time being.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

Sure hope the 2600+ sees a firmware update sooner than later - especially regarding its 7800 support:

image.thumb.png.6395ad69acf4941751324939131c70fb.png

:(

Not sure why their 7800 controller did not work, but at PRGE I verified 2 button controls on my retrogameboyz 7800 pad worked great on 7800 titles.

4 hours ago, littaum said:

Not sure why their 7800 controller did not work, but at PRGE I verified 2 button controls on my retrogameboyz 7800 pad worked great on 7800 titles.

Thank you, at least that's promising.  I'm looking forward to further feedback from others.

*EDIT:  Here's a really good video from @swlovinist:

Two button controllers DO work.  From the Untested list - Tank Command works.  Rampage does not.  Commando title screen has glitches, though in-game seems fine.  

Further...

image.thumb.png.7da00ab614e8ac12b01b1be169bc27fa.png

*None* of John's homebrew games (pictured above) worked.  Some of those are TIA titles - b*nQ, Jr. Pac-Man, Astro Blaster, Space Invaders, 48K or less (no bankswitching).  Pretty disappointing to state the least.

Here's another:  

Briefly played, Midnight Mutants appears okay.  Food Fight looks good.  Xevious has scanline corruption at the top of the playfield. Robotron and Jinks are good.  Tower Toppler plays too fast.  Asteroids plays too fast.  Ms Pac-Man crashed in the middle of the game and the system reset.  Donkey Kong and Joust appear fine.  Dark Chambers and Scrapyard Dog are okay.  Mario Bros and DK Jr seem good.  Ninja Golf and Ikari Warriors looked good.  Ballblazer was fine (Including POKEY).  Crossbow has major graphic corruption - unplayable.  Crack'ed is fine. Tomcat worked well.  Double Dragon does not work. 

Again, a disappointing showing for the 7800 support.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Trebor said:

*None* of John's homebrew games (pictured above) worked.  Some of those are TIA titles - b*nQ, Jr. Pac-Man, Astro Blaster, Space Invaders, 48K or less (no bankswitching).  Pretty disappointing to state the least.

I'll have most of the AtariAge homebrew games working fairly soon, and I'll work to make as many work from third parties as well.  The reason they don't work is due to the nature of how ProSystem works, at present it needs explicit entries for each game in an internal database so it knows what bankswitching scheme (if any) that games use.  This wasn't a big deal when there weren't many homebrew games and people were mostly playing original titles, but obviously there are many homebrews at this point.  It's curious that ProSystem doesn't even try to run games in 48K non-bankswitching mode if it doesn't have a match in its database.  I bet that could be changed pretty easily, which would cover the bulk of all homebrew games right off the bat.

..Al

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Albert said:

I'll have most of the AtariAge homebrew games working fairly soon, and I'll work to make as many work from third parties as well. 

Thanks.

How will firmware-update happen…?

Plug it to a PC…?

Will Atari put out a place on their official site containing such supdate-patches/files…?

Does it have some inbuilt wifi/bluetooth-thing which will install it by pushing a button on a menu-screen…?

Will it be easy, or only for particulary interested people going to AA to learn everything about how-to install firmware updates on retro-consoles…?

No soldering needed, please!

I’m a just simple gamer, not a tech-nerd!

Edited by Giles N

2 hours ago, Albert said:

I'll have most of the AtariAge homebrew games working fairly soon, and I'll work to make as many work from third parties as well.  The reason they don't work is due to the nature of how ProSystem works, at present it needs explicit entries for each game in an internal database so it knows what bankswitching scheme (if any) that games use.  This wasn't a big deal when there weren't many homebrew games and people were mostly playing original titles, but obviously there are many homebrews at this point.  It's curious that ProSystem doesn't even try to run games in 48K non-bankswitching mode if it doesn't have a match in its database.  I bet that could be changed pretty easily, which would cover the bulk of all homebrew games right off the bat.

..Al

If the JS7800 sources are integrated, all the aforementioned issues and more would be rectified.

• Like 2