IGNORED

AtariAge + Atari Q&A

Albert

10 minutes ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Errrmmm yes and no,

afaik the 2600+ is produced by the austrian company PLAION, formerly Koch media.

And allthough my name is Andreas Koch, I have nothing to do with it.  ;-)

Plaion is the contract manufacturer of the Atari 2600+. They have a lot of experience with retro consoles, and they worked pretty hard with our team to do a good job on the 2600+ and the controllers. A lot of revisions to make sure the plastics felt right, the tension on the metal toggle switches felt right, etc. Build quality, for me, so far seems really solid. Could be little heavier, but otherwise feels and functions really well. Time will tell, of course. I mean, it sounds like you are writing them off because their HQ is in Austria? I don't know what to do with that :) especially as I my heritage is half Austrian and half Irish. 

Edited by TrogdarRobusto
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

I mean, it sounds like you are writing them off because their HQ is in Austria? I don't know what to do with that :) especially as I my heritage is half Austrian and half Irish. 

🤣 I am waiting for CharlieChaplin to respond to this (sorry for my words) ridiculous remark.

Personally I think you should not state these kind of remarks. This has nothing to do with any country and that was also not what Charlie was saying, please do not try to mock countries and put words in someones mouth.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

My thoughts on this take over? Well, we have to just wait and see. Only time will tell what will happen.

I thing I know for sure, fans of the old Atari will always find ways to enjoy their hobby. And let's be honest, if bad things happen to AtariAge, the enthousiasts will find another place on the internet to exchange knowledge, make homebrews, hardware enhancements and all other things this great community does.

So, time will tell, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

Personally I think you should not state these kind of remarks. This has nothing to do with any country and that was also not what Charlie was saying, please do not try to mock countries and put words in someones mouth.

Speaking as someone who is actually Irish and had an Austrian great-grandmother, there was nothing offensive in what he said.

• Like 2

As a member of the Stella team, I am less than thrilled by this news. Atari is using Stella to power the 2600+, and they certainly ain't paying for it, and they aren't exactly upfront about what emulator is powering their product either. Now, I am not saying this because I want to complain, I licensed my code as GPL when I contributed it to Stella, they have every right to do so, but the point is that this is a company. They have a business plan, their goal is earning money, they won't give away anything for free if it can be monetarized and if they need resources they will try to get them as cheaply as possible. That's how companies have to work as part of our economic system, and I am fine with it. However, I absolutely don't like it when people try to whitewash this as idealism.

Up to now I have been thinking about a community driven place that was about preservation, enthusiasm and passion. If I invest time I do it for myself and for the community. Now AtariAge is owned by Atari, and while I am happy for Al for this opportunity, the mere fact changes the game. Now, if I invest time I am at least partially giving it a company without getting anything back in compensation.

While I wish this place all the best, I am almost sure that, sooner or later, the need for return-of-invest will seep through and change it.

• Like 18

5 minutes ago, Fred_M said:

I disagree, what you are saying is that because I am Dutch I am allowed to mock The Netherlands???

Yes.  That is exactly, precisely, 100% what I am saying.  Good job on deciphering that from something that had nothing to do with your suggestion; your investigative powers astound us all.

Not going any further with this; the thread doesn't need it.

• Like 2

Just now, x=usr(1536) said:

Yes.  That is exactly, precisely, 100% what I am saying.  Good job on deciphering that from something that had nothing to do with it; your investigative powers astound us all.

Why can't I just state that I think such a remark is offending, without someone saying it is not? YOU don't think it is offending and I think it does. So we have different opinions. There is nothing wrong with that.

Didn’t have time to read all 26 pages but would love to know if Atari has any plans for 7800 releases or maybe the unreleased xm module. I think 7800 games done right could make real big also are they gonna release the lost and found tower of mystery game by Matell for 2600?

Edited by chriswhit
Added the last question
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Atari_Force said:

Specifically about the Altirra emulator. Will it be censored?

Nope, they will buy Altirra, create a box with Altirra and a keyboard and sell it as a new A8 computer.

Create another box with Altirra, but without a keyboard and sell it as new 5200 VCS.  

.just joking.

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, TrogdarRobusto said:

Plaion is the contract manufacturer of the Atari 2600+. They have a lot of experience with retro consoles, and they worked pretty hard with our team to do a good job on the 2600+ and the controllers. A lot of revisions to make sure the plastics felt right, the tension on the metal toggle switches felt right, etc. Build quality, for me, so far seems really solid. Could be little heavier, but otherwise feels and functions really well. Time will tell, of course. I mean, it sounds like you are writing them off because their HQ is in Austria? I don't know what to do with that :) especially as I my heritage is half Austrian and half Irish. 

Well,

at first I wrote "produced by the german company Plaion, formerly Koch media". But after a short look to Wikipedia, I could see that they are an austrian company, so I corrected this. Was not trying to mock countries in any way, I am from germany by the way with polish roots (my grand parents were from upper silesia)...

The last sentence was a joke again, since Plaion was formerly Koch media and my real name is Andreas Koch (but I have nothing to do with Koch media nor Plaion). Why did I write "yes and no" ? Simply because the person I quoted wrote the 2600+ is an Atari product, while the consoles by AtGames are not. Yes, the 2600+ is an Atari product, but no, it is not manufactured by Atari themselves...  (produced was the wrong word, manufactured would have been better, you see english is not my mother tongue).

One last thing, I was born in 1972 - thus I am (always) as old as Atari!

• Like 6