IGNORED

Bubsy 3D on the Atari Jaguar (Not a clickbait)

KidGameR186496

3 minutes ago, Jag_Mag said:

Well I take members from you,and I don't threaten to stop dev like you do CJ

Are these members Devs, Non-Devs, APIDEVs or just figments of your imaginarium?  You don't 'take' anything.  Unless you think you 'own' people.

What a twat.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jag_Mag said:

Read his SoulStar thread

I've been following that thread from the very beginning, and nowhere did he threaten to stop developing games. Being discouraged by piracy /= threatening to stop development. Learn the difference.

Wow!

Thought maybe you guys'd be discussing Good Ol Bubsy and I was ready to find out if you're like me and thought he oughta stay in 2D where he belongs...

Now it's all Devs, none Devs, twats and owning people...

Why'd I wander over here again?  I don't even have a Jaguar!

(Maybe I'll go back to pestering those who like the 2600+,  I was having fun over there...I still think Analogue ought to release an FPGA 2600 and truly eat Atari's lunch! ...Sorry to be off topic...Don't mind me... I'm,,,just a nundev err something)

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, GoldLeader said:

I still think Analogue ought to release an FPGA 2600 and truly eat Atari's lunch!

Just what everyone needs, a console that won't launch until 2039 and still nobody will be able to afford (even the ones who started saving 2 years ago)

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

Why'd I wander over here again?  I don't even have a Jaguar!

No Jaguar, non-dev, well you are completely wrong here. Ah, me too, I do not like Bubsy at all, so I do not even care if there will be/is a 3D version.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, GoldLeader said:

Yeah,

I find it kind of funny...They say these Jag forums are rough,...That all people do over here is argue.  They say it'll start innocently enough, but by the end everybody's just at each other's throats...

I don't know where they get this stuff.

From the Intellivision, 7800 and Neogeo forums would be my guess.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

So back to topic, what is so impressive about the Bubsy 3D engine? I saw better 3D on Jaguar, with gouraud shadings and textures. ;-)

Actually the game looks very basic and boring.

That's always been my thoughts on that game as well. Of all games to want ported to the Jag, Bubsy 3D, well, has never been on my list.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Seedy1812 said:

Being said they planned to do the game on the Jag is like like me wishing I was superman. As he said the Jag was not capable. Imagitec said they were going to do Freelance and Space Junk  but neither got anywhere. Until you start to program it you can say anything and mock up screenshots to help you get the backing.

12 hours ago, Jag_Mag said:

@Seedy1812 Like this member,a non programmer,skip

I'm very frequently wrong, but don't these credits belong to Mr. Seedy1812?

https://www.mobygames.com/person/1347/andrew-seed/credits/

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Seedy1812 said:

Being said they planned to do the game on the Jag is like like me wishing I was superman. As he said the Jag was not capable. Imagitec said they were going to do Freelance and Space Junk  but neither got anywhere. Until you start to program it you can say anything and mock up screenshots to help you get the backing.

Look at Battle Morph and Iron Soldier 2. They were pretty impressive considering what the Jag was designed to do. I'm not sure that the team working on Bubsy 3D had the resources to develop a version running on three distinctly different hardware architectures.

I will say though, it really says something to the reach Atari had that developers were going to make some of these games on the Jag. For them to dedicate ANY resources to a game like this on the Jag at all is just insane considering what the install base was (and is).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, alucardX said:

Look at Battle Morph and Iron Soldier 2. They were pretty impressive considering what the Jag was designed to do. I'm not sure that the team working on Bubsy 3D had the resources to develop a version running on three distinctly different hardware architectures.

I will say though, it really says something to the reach Atari had that developers were going to make some of these games on the Jag. For them to dedicate ANY resources to a game like this on the Jag at all is just insane considering what the install base was (and is).

In the video, he said that they had ONE - Repeat ONE! - programmer trying to get the engine running on Jaguar ;-) 

Given the learning curve (of the system) was pretty steep, it is not entirely surprising it got nowhere. 

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, agradeneu said:

In the video, he said that they had ONE - Repeat ONE! - programmer trying to get the engine running on Jaguar ;-) 

Given the learning curve (of the system) was pretty steep, it is not entirely surprising it got nowhere. 

Indeed, for sure! But even one full time employee dedicated to a fully 3d game for the Jaguar version of a game that was also planned for two other systems, major systems, is a lot. Given that we now know how few the number of produced systems was and that the actual systems sold at that time must have been low, it shows that someone somewhere at Atari was working to get things made by third party developers. Either that or the developers were thoroughly convinced somehow that Atari was a player and mattered in the grand scheme of selling their game.

30 minutes ago, alucardX said:

Isn't that how many guys they had doing the programming for the entire game in many cases (E.g., Checkered Flag)? I'm not saying those games were all great, but rather pointing out that one programmer is indeed a lot for that era, especially given it was presumably "just" a port.