IGNORED

Bubsy 3D on the Atari Jaguar (Not a clickbait)

KidGameR186496

Even i am still in disbelief listening to this recent video interview with Bubsy 3D co-designer Richard Ham. So according to Ham, Bubsy 3D was planned for the PS1, Sega Saturn and... get this, the Atari Jaguar. Both the Saturn and Jaguar versions were canned, and only the PS1 versions was released.

The event occurs at the 22:09 minute mark. After listening to this, i think i am (IMHO) happy that we got Fractured Furry Tales instead XD but, you'll be the judge. 

I think it's also pretty ironic hearing this responde, considering now that Bubsy is owned by the current Atari incarnation.

• Like 3

I've never actually played it but to see it running smoothly on the Jag would be pretty cool. It looks like a reasonably decent title for the time too. Youtube(hate on everything) culture makes it easy for people to forget that the transition from 2D to 3D was not very smooth for most games. I can see what they were trying to do in Bubsy 3D even if some of the design choices were strange.

...It was the 90s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alucardX said:

I've never actually played it but to see it running smoothly on the Jag would be pretty cool. It looks like a reasonably decent title for the time too. Youtube(hate on everything) culture makes it easy for people to forget that the transition from 2D to 3D was not very smooth for most games. I can see what they were trying to do in Bubsy 3D even if some of the design choices were strange.

...It was the 90s.

It came out the year after Bug!, the same year as Super Mario 64, Bug Too!, and Crash Bandicoot in the US, and the same year as Crash Bandicoot 2 and Croc in Europe.

It was not a reasonably decent title for its time. It was a disaster then and it's a disaster now.

1 hour ago, famicommander said:

It came out the year after Bug!, the same year as Super Mario 64, Bug Too!, and Crash Bandicoot in the US, and the same year as Crash Bandicoot 2 and Croc in Europe.

It was not a reasonably decent title for its time. It was a disaster then and it's a disaster now.

In context of some of those other games, yes, I see your point. Objectively speaking I can see how this one turned out the way it did but also understand the challenges at the time. They were trying to build a full 3d platform game from the ground up and doing it with a team that had never done that before. I give them credit for trying, getting something done and shipping it. I can tell without playing it that it doesn't hold up against the likes of the other titles you mentioned.

Just an anecdote, but I got a demo disc with my PlayStation in the 90s with a demo of bubsy 3d when it was a current game.  As someone who was into the latest and greatest 3d PS1 games at the time, the game seemed bland in the graphics department, but not totally awful. The gameplay had a springiness to it when you jumped on enemies that was neat.  I had no interest in buying it, but happily played around with the demo a bunch of times. Would rate it similar to other B tier platform games like the PlayStation Gex game.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

Just an anecdote, but I got a demo disc with my PlayStation in the 90s with a demo of bubsy 3d when it was a current game.  As someone who was into the latest and greatest 3d PS1 games at the time, the game seemed bland in the graphics department, but not totally awful. The gameplay had a springiness to it when you jumped on enemies that was neat.  I had no interest in buying it, but happily played around with the demo a bunch of times. Would rate it similar to other B tier platform games like the PlayStation Gex game.

This is how I felt about CyberMorph back in the day. On the other hand, 3D was so new and novel that we just played anything we could get.

• Like 1

I don't think the Jag could do it "exactly" as the ps1 version was. At least, my impression was that the game had a much farther draw distance and higher resolution than any other 3d game on jag, while maintaining a decent framerate.  The game has a bunch of fmvs and recorded music, so it would be best suited to Jag CD to keep those features, however that may provide additional challenges in terms of whether the large levels fit in the jaguars ram without being cut down.

Edited by sirlynxalot

3 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

I don't think the Jag could do it "exactly" as the ps1 version was. At least, my impression was that the game had a much farther draw distance and higher resolution than any other 3d game on jag, while maintaining a decent framerate.  The game has a bunch of fmvs and recorded music, so it would be best suited to Jag CD to keep those features, however that may provide additional challenges in terms of whether the large levels fit in the jaguars ram without being cut down.

Also, I think I noticed a bit more texture mapping than the Jag is known to be able to do.

41 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

the game had a much farther draw distance and higher resolution than any other 3d game on jag, while maintaining a decent framerate.

And that's exactly what's wrong with it. It's out-of-place.

Now, imagine if it had Supercross 3D-like performance. It'd be a perfectly balanced game: bad graphics, bad framerate, bad controls, bad level design, bad sound, bad music and bad writing.

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, sirlynxalot said:

How you would need large RAM for flat shaded polygons? 

4 hours ago, Mittens0407 said:

"Guys, the Jag could totally do Bubsy 3D!"
Has it really come to this point?

Well bro, just consider the source bro.  You're a none dev so you don't know WTF you're talking about and what the Jag can do.  He is an all knowing dev, so the universe shines out of his rectum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

8 hours ago, alucardX said:

In context of some of those other games, yes, I see your point. Objectively speaking I can see how this one turned out the way it did but also understand the challenges at the time. They were trying to build a full 3d platform game from the ground up and doing it with a team that had never done that before. I give them credit for trying, getting something done and shipping it. I can tell without playing it that it doesn't hold up against the likes of the other titles you mentioned.

Very few teams had ever done it before. It was the Wild West for that genre at the time and there were no standards set yet. Bubsy 3D deserves a bit of slack because of that.

• Like 1

Being said they planned to do the game on the Jag is like like me wishing I was superman. As he said the Jag was not capable. Imagitec said they were going to do Freelance and Space Junk  but neither got anywhere. Until you start to program it you can say anything and mock up screenshots to help you get the backing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Seedy1812 said:

Being said they planned to do the game on the Jag is like like me wishing I was superman. As he said the Jag was not capable. Imagitec said they were going to do Freelance and Space Junk  but neither got anywhere. Until you start to program it you can say anything and mock up screenshots to help you get the backing.

This can go either way,most are none programers and dictate to members what can and cannot be done,it can be done on Jag would it be worth it?depends on if your a fan of the game or not.A good rule of thumb is look what said member and if they released anything,if they haven't skip their post.

Edited by Jag_Mag
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 3