IGNORED

Atari VCS PC Mode USB - On Sale again!

82-T/A

Just got the e-mail that they've got new stock for purchase.

"The Atari VCS PC USB is a simple “plug-and-play” way to operate your Atari VCS as a PC. The premium 64GB Kingston USB 3.2 drive is preloaded with a custom Debian operating system, provides additional storage, and includes the Office 365-compatible LibreOffice suite."

I realize I can make my own, but it wouldn't stay Atari on it! Haha. Plus, I'm interested to see what Atari did with the Debian OS, if there's any cool backgrounds and some such... so for $29 bucks, I ordered it. I also went ahead and ordered the new Berzerk for the 2600+ that's coming in the mail.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tinman said:

I ordered one, too.  Mostly because I want to unlock Stella and didn't want to build my own stick to do it.

Nice... that makes sense. I assume that these will work on any semi-modern PC, and doesn't require a VCS to work? Unless it's pre-loaded with drivers that are for the VCS specifically? Just curious...

EDIT: I'm also in Tampa too!

Edited by 82-T/A

1 minute ago, 82-T/A said:

Nice... that makes sense. I assume that these will work on any semi-modern PC, and doesn't require a VCS to work? Unless it's pre-loaded with drivers that are for the VCS specifically? Just curious...

Typically a Linux live usb would come with drivers for most modern hardware,  so unless they went in and removed stuff, it should work on any PC.    The only caveat is if you have an nVidia GPU in the other PC,  the "good" nVidia driver is proprietary and needs to be installed later.   It will have an open source nvidia driver though, so at least you'd get graphics.   The VCS is based on AMD graphics and you don't have to worry about its driver.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 82-T/A said:

Nice to meet another Tampa Atari fan!

When I get mine I’ll try it on my Surface Go tablet and see how/if it works.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zzip said:

I'm starting to think Atari-logo branded USB drives could be a winning product for Atari, no matter what software is put on them :)

You don't even need software on them!  Just slap a Fuji on there and Whammo!  A USB with a Fuji in an Atari branded box.  Winner!

If I could, I might even run AROS on top of an underlying Linux (such as AtariOS ). Kitty meets Fuji. That'll be interesting.

I can even run Linux software in the IcarosDesktop district using Hostbridge. Amiga was almost Atari's. There's a technological connection between Atari and Amiga because of Jay Miner. 

On 9/19/2023 at 12:13 PM, zzip said:

Typically a Linux live usb would come with drivers for most modern hardware,  so unless they went in and removed stuff, it should work on any PC.    The only caveat is if you have an nVidia GPU in the other PC,  the "good" nVidia driver is proprietary and needs to be installed later.   It will have an open source nvidia driver though, so at least you'd get graphics.   The VCS is based on AMD graphics and you don't have to worry about its driver.

It's just a Debian 11 distro on the actual stick, with some Atari wallpapers (at least from the page description).  I got mine yesterday, was gonna give a try with it.  But if it's just a standard Debian 11 stick, it could potentially have nvidia drivers... or not, depending on how they set it up.  Guess I could try it on my living room PC (3080 RTX) instead of the desktop (7800XT?)  I apparently ordered two of the sticks, but for some reason one was refunded, but then I got a shipping notification for it...

1 hour ago, leech said:

I apparently ordered two of the sticks, but for some reason one was refunded, but then I got a shipping notification for it...

Me too. I ordered two and only one is on the way.  It would have been nice if they stated a limit of one on the website.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me, or is this thing intolerably slow?  Everything hangs up.  I can't even check email without Chrome becoming unresponsive.  Is this just an effect of it being on a pen drive rather than a solid state or something, or did I get a bad one, or is my system just messed up?

Is this working well for everyone else?

40 minutes ago, MrTrust said:

Is it just me, or is this thing intolerably slow?  Everything hangs up.  I can't even check email without Chrome becoming unresponsive.  Is this just an effect of it being on a pen drive rather than a solid state or something, or did I get a bad one, or is my system just messed up?

Is this working well for everyone else?

I have the original from about a year ago and it's not slow.  The drive is a USB 3.2 so it's the latest, greatest protocol.  I don't know anything about your setup but I might try unplugging it and plugging it back in again.  Which USB port are you putting it into?  I would probably put it into one of the rear ports.

16 minutes ago, joeatari1 said:

I have the original from about a year ago and it's not slow.  The drive is a USB 3.2 so it's the latest, greatest protocol.  I don't know anything about your setup but I might try unplugging it and plugging it back in again.  Which USB port are you putting it into?  I would probably put it into one of the rear ports.

Yes, of course I tried both rear ports.  It's weird, because I installed some games on it and booted from the Atari OS, and they seem to run without any appreciable lag, even End's Reach.  When I boot Debian from the drive, though, everything is slower than death.  Once you actually get an application open, it seems to run okay, but other than that, nope.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome, but no joy.  Firefox seems to work somewhat better, but it's not too great either.

Machine is totally stock.  Connected to WiFi at 5g.  A little far away from the router, but I have not had any issues with other devices at the same distance.

11 hours ago, MrTrust said:

Yes, of course I tried both rear ports.  It's weird, because I installed some games on it and booted from the Atari OS, and they seem to run without any appreciable lag, even End's Reach.  When I boot Debian from the drive, though, everything is slower than death.  Once you actually get an application open, it seems to run okay, but other than that, nope.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome, but no joy.  Firefox seems to work somewhat better, but it's not too great either.

Machine is totally stock.  Connected to WiFi at 5g.  A little far away from the router, but I have not had any issues with other devices at the same distance.

If it is wifi related, there was an issue where some Linux kernels keep trying to put the WIFI adapter into sleep mode and that affects performance.

The solution was to edit this file:

/etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/default-wifi-powersave-on.conf

and change this line:

wifi.powersave = 3

to

wifi.powersave = 2

Not sure if that requires a reboot

• 1 month later...