IGNORED

Homebrew compatibility?

oceanix42

7 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

If I ever got the chance I'd love to look at re-releasing F1 Circus, I have many fond memories of that game, the names of the drivers were hilarious.

I don’t know that one, but do you think you could do a decent PC Engine to 7800 port? I admit to knowing not much about the 7800 hardware and how comparable it was to other systems of the time. The PC Engine seemed capable of better arcade ports than the Famicom from what I saw in the Wii Virtual Console. I think there were a handful more releases of Famicom games than PC Engine - that thing was quite a beast!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

I don’t know that one, but do you think you could do a decent PC Engine to 7800 port? I admit to knowing not much about the 7800 hardware and how comparable it was to other systems of the time. The PC Engine seemed capable of better arcade ports than the Famicom from what I saw in the Wii Virtual Console. I think there were a handful more releases of Famicom games than PC Engine - that thing was quite a beast!

Youre damn right. A kind developer sent me this insane video of R-Type proof of concept running on a 7800 that has also been seen running on a 2600+. My mind was blown and you can imagine my response. But temper your expectation, even if we know we want it and it seems to make complete sense, the commercial reality can screw ideas like this.

• Like 10

12 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

Youre damn right. A kind developer sent me this insane video of R-Type proof of concept running on a 7800 that has also been seen running on a 2600+. My mind was blown and you can imagine my response. But temper your expectation, even if we know we want it and it seems to make complete sense, the commercial reality can screw ideas like this.

Okay that is totally bonkers, wow! Most of what I’ve seen of 7800 games look more like 8-bit computer titles. The animation there is really impressive!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

I hope they'll finish this. 🙂

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I googled and this thread appeared, if there is a more recent one please refer me to it ^^

Regarding homebrews then, I understand Scramble is definitely working with FW update, are any other Champ Games that work fine. Like many others, it is a lot of outlay (especially with overseas postage) to find your new shiny game will not/may not ever run.

In respect to AA sold games, are there any major issues with anything, from what I can gather most if not all run okay?

Thanks in advance y'all!

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 9:41 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

Impressive! 🤟🏻

How about a graphically tweaked (so it's not too similar) 'A Type'. A for Atari or Asteroids, it could be a spin off of Asteroids.

I think games which are similar to other publishers games would be accepted and not feel like a bootleg or ripoff if Atari used their IP on a game. Coming back to Asteroids, if the ship was more like the games artwork and you threw some rocks in the game, bingo, an Asteroids universe side scroller.

I wouldn't actually call it A Type though. 🤣

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, acidbottle said:

I googled and this thread appeared, if there is a more recent one please refer me to it ^^

Regarding homebrews then, I understand Scramble is definitely working with FW update, are any other Champ Games that work fine. Like many others, it is a lot of outlay (especially with overseas postage) to find your new shiny game will not/may not ever run.

In respect to AA sold games, are there any major issues with anything, from what I can gather most if not all run okay?

Thanks in advance y'all!

I have a few homebrews that work fine on the 2600+.  And I'm still on the default firmware.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 3:41 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

Oh. Em. Gee.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 3:41 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

Well this at least shows more kinds of games might be possible than we'd thought.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Schnaasfan said:

Does anyone know if the 2600+ can play Zippy the Porcupine? I tried playing it on my Retron 77 some years ago, but it did not work. 

Don't have a copy. I like Sonic tho, so was thinking about trying to source one. 

On 9/27/2023 at 12:18 PM, oceanix42 said:

That's what I heard but wanted to confirm. Well, that's another Atari product I'm not purchasing, rather just get a third 2600 from ebay. Though for collectors' sake, I might pick one up second hand in the distant future.

A note to Atari: IF you are going to do something like this, put an actual 6502 chip in the box, better yet, an FPGA...it's cheap, not difficult, and you can have it work with everything. Anyway, keep trying though!

I kind of agree to an extent, and probably been said before but i feel like this opens up the market to more people, perhaps eventually there will be some kind of ultimate, totally accurate Atari 2600/7800 system that runs everything flawless and has all the bells and whistles, but right now its just cool that it still even exists...

Could've gotten a Firecore but this... this is fine enough for me :)

On 8/2/2024 at 3:58 AM, JetmanUK said:

Impressive! 🤟🏻

How about a graphically tweaked (so it's not too similar) 'A Type'. A for Atari or Asteroids, it could be a spin off of Asteroids.

I think games which are similar to other publishers games would be accepted and not feel like a bootleg or ripoff if Atari used their IP on a game. Coming back to Asteroids, if the ship was more like the games artwork and you threw some rocks in the game, bingo, an Asteroids universe side scroller.

I wouldn't actually call it A Type though. 🤣

Atari can just do what game companies have throughout the ages, make games “inspired” by certain titles and tweak the graphics a bit and give a different name. A certain Active multibillion company managed to do it back in past.

• Like 2

Also, i'm sure theres a few old properties around that could be ressurected instead...

I know i say i wanna see "crazy shit" on the system but mainly it makes sense to do the standard stuff, leftfeild experiments do well as a compliment to the things most would actively play...

Even if "A Type" doesnt happen either... that stuff proves a lot is indeed possible...

Just wanted to share an idea that has worked really well for me 👍

I label each cartridge protector sleeve ( that will work with the Atari 2600+ ) with a “ Positive , or Plus “ Sticker … ( available on eBay )

Helps me remember what works and what doesn’t 🙂 … at least on v1.0 firmware ! 

Joe

IMG_0636.jpeg

IMG_0638.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Schnaasfan said:

I followed these instructions(https://forums.atariage.com/topic/358796-atari-2600-beta-update-11/) and updated the firmware. Everything seems to be working, but I still can't get my Zippy cart to work. Anyone knows what might be the matter?

It does not work on that outdated version of the firmware in that locked thread.   

It requires Firmware 1.1x-r5 and x.02 version of the Dumper, or newer, to work.

See the opened pinned topic thread for the latest firmware and dumper. 

Update the 2600+ console, per these instructions:

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Trebor said:

It does not work on that outdated version of the firmware in that locked thread.   

It requires Firmware 1.1x-r5 and x.02 version of the Dumper, or newer, to work.

See the opened pinned topic thread for the latest firmware and dumper. 

Update the 2600+ console, per these instructions:

Thank you! This solved my problem. Now I can finally play Zippy.

• Like 1