IGNORED

Lynx+. Yay, or Nay?

Gunther

18 minutes ago, Giles N said:

What’s this?

Any links…?

Well,

It's Analogue so...Be prepared for words like SOLD OUT and DISCONTINUED, etc.  But,  save your money and get on their email list.  (I own a White one and a Transparent Green one is on the way in about 2 weeks!)...Special color Editions may sell out as fast as 2 Minutes so if the Store will be selling them on XX-XX-2023 at 8AM PDT, Be ready (in Your Country's Time Zone) and hit REFRESH until it comes up,  then get your order in Pronto.  Personally, I Find their stuff  to be worth Every Penny (Or Schilling, Kroner, Euro, or what have you),  and if you don't like it you make a profit selling it!

Anyway...

https://www.analogue.co/pocket

PS Getting my Pocket after the Pre-Order took 13 months but still totally worth it!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Giles N said:

Hardware (I can buy and play actual Lynx-cards) or through SD-card w/roms?

Hardware you can buy (Adapters for your Analogue Pocket)...Although in theory, a Lynx "core" will come out too,  and then it would be ROMs from an SD Card ;) 

Note:  You do have to buy all 3 and they're not cheap.  (I have them on the way,  whenever they come out...)

image.png.17c184bdb58c586db91935f31861aeb5.png

• Thanks 1

I got the Analogue just to have a real Lynx 3. So far no core and no cart adapters. But they said the adapters would be shipped in 2023. Only 3 months left...

The unit itself is top notch. I have also used it for testing my Atari 7800 games.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, obschan said:

But how?

That's the whole point. That kind of thread is like asking "would you like to be rich?" 🤷‍♂️ Why would we be against the idea of a Lynx+? But that won't make it happen anyway. Even though, in the case of the Lynx, it will indeed exist via the Analogue Pocket.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

That's the whole point. That kind of thread is like asking "would you like to be rich?" 🤷‍♂️ Why would we be against the idea of a Lynx+? But that won't make it happen anyway. Even though, in the case of the Lynx, it will indeed exist via the Analogue Pocket.

Side note, I am not convinced that the analogue pocket will be be that, a FPGA is not a silver bullet solving every unknown, did they get more detailed information on Suzy/Mikey than what's currently public?
It sounds like it'll be a fancy Handy at this point...

Edited by obschan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, obschan said:

Side note, I am not convinced that the analogue pocket will be be that, a FPGA is not a silver bullet solving every unknown, did they get more detailed information on Suzy/Mikey than what's currently public?
It sounds like it'll be a fancy Handy at this point...

I can guarantee you that Kevtris always retro-engineers the hardware he recreates in FPGA, he NEVER ports software emulators. Lynx emulators are currently quite bad according to him, so his core should be way better than what's available right now.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

Note:  You do have to buy all 3 and they're not cheap.  (I have them on the way,  whenever they come out...)

All 3 … possibilities …That doesn’t sound so bad… 

- - -

Ok, this Analogue Pocket thing seems very cool, and I’ll keep it in the back of my mind…

… sort of stuff that should have been ramped up (…a-lot) in production-numbers by some company which wouldn’t strangle the project by selfdestructive overspeculations in questions of competition…

…guess a higher production number would’ve decreased the pricetag at least a little bit…

- - -

If or when I can set aside the money, and if its still being around - I’ll probably get one, certainly wish one…

• Like 1

If you want an Analogue Pocket, you'd do best to put money down now, as they only seem to make enough to fulfill existing orders. The price has gone up because the cost of components has risen. It's unlikely to go down with the current design, and buying secondhand from Ebay usually results in paying scalper-like markups. 

It's the best bet for all-in-one, ready to go FPGA in my opinion. Second best could be a MiSTer but they're ugly, non portable, and you must build your own.

I've noticed a lot of "wish casting" in several threads like this. If you're serious about these things you want, why not go get them?

• Like 3

If the Lynx adapter/core for Analogue Pocket works well with legacy games and homebrew (especially EEProm and touchy things like in Alpine Games), I think this the closest from a Lynx+ we can hope. But it would still miss a real convenient tate option I fear...

Edited by Fadest
  • Like 1

Being an FPGA,  Once it comes out...The Analogue Pocket will likely be better than any "Lynx +" Atari would consider putting out anyway.  I mean,  no offense,  but if they won't go the distance (to go FPGA, or similar hardware solution) for the Mighty and Well-Known, Beloved 2600;  What makes anyone think they'll shower the lowly* Lynx with love and do better than mere Emulation?

*Not My opinion,  Mind you.  Just an analysis based on what I believe Atari would think and do...(Small company,  path of least resistance, and so on...)

8 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

That's the whole point. That kind of thread is like asking "would you like to be rich?" 🤷‍♂️ Why would we be against the idea of a Lynx+?

If they announced one, it would be the usual drama: "No not like that!"

"It shouldn't be emulation based!"  "FPGA is too expensive!"

"The form factor is all wrong!"

"Why isn't it using an OLED screen?"   "Why is it using an OLED screen when the original didn't have one?"

"Why does it have a permanent battery, and I can't change it like the original?"

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Fadest said:

If the Lynx adapter/core for Analogue Pocket works well with legacy games and homebrew (especially EEProm and touchy things like in Alpine Games), I think this the closest from a Lynx+ we can hope. But it would still miss a real convenient tate option I fear...

Good point. The Analogue Pocket's screen being almost square, it wouldn't be a problem to offer a tate mode as an option (whether it's normal mode or tate mode, you'll have black bars anyway). Let's hope they think about it.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2023 at 6:03 PM, madman said:

Oh it's this Gunther guy again. He already asked about a Jaguar+, I'm sure if I visit the 8-bit section he's asking about an XEGS+. 

Those games would be better suited to the 7800, enhanced, and released for the 2600+.

It would also leave the XES and 5200 as true homebrew systems too.

Edited by Gunther
  • Like 1