IGNORED

Berzerk: Recharged - (in VCS Store)

marss

2 hours ago, MrTrust said:

This might be the thing that salvages the game for me.  I was probably going to get it anyway because it's $10 and I have all the others anyway, so how bad could it really be?  If the classic controller support is good, that could make a big difference in the enjoyment of it.  A lot of games have not done so great with it.  Breakout, of all games, does not have good classic support.  Yars and Gravitar do, though Gravitar is already tough enough as it is.

The Classic Controller support will make or break this game for me as that's how i want to play it. I agree about Breakout Recharged, its playable with the Classic Controller using the spinner but its definitely a bit off, i would have liked for Atari to go back and tweak the spinner support for us Atari VCS owners to give us the best version of the game and while they are there fix Tempest 4000's spinner support to. I really don't mind the way Berzerk Recharged looks though i can live with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, famicommander said:

Atari should be ashamed of this one. What a pathetic, low effort, embarrassing release.

Do you really dislike it that much? Have you played it early? I think the visuals of the game stay true to the Recharged series but i do think they should patch the game with an option to change the skin to give it a different look as not everyone will like it, i certainly don't think Atari should be too embarrassed though its a low budget game anyway i guess. 

1 hour ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

The Classic Controller support will make or break this game for me as that's how i want to play it. I agree about Breakout Recharged, its playable with the Classic Controller using the spinner but its definitely a bit off, i would have liked for Atari to go back and tweak the spinner support for us Atari VCS owners to give us the best version of the game and while they are there fix Tempest 4000's spinner support to. I really don't mind the way Berzerk Recharged looks though i can live with it.

I don't have Tempest 4k on VCS.  I have it on Switch.  Isn't the spinner control backwards?  That's just ridiculous if so and there's no excuse not to fix that.

The thing about Breakout and some others is it needs a sensitivity setting, which really shouldn't be difficult to implement.  They tend to make the thing not sensitive enough.

Most people will hold the controller and roll the stick with their fingers, so you're not probably going to get a full 360° travel out of that motion, but that tends to be how these are set up.  You shouldn't have to let go and reset your hand to get the full travel you need.  What I had to do with Breakout was hold it sideways, base neutral grip, stick overhand.  That way you can use your wrist or both wrist and get a full travel across the playfield in one motion.  Yar's you can't do that with, but you don't need to change facing all that quickly in that one.

Here, you probably will, which means having the ability to adjust the sensitivity will be crucial, and I'd be surprised if they'll include that setting, but one can hope they just get it right.

1 hour ago, MrTrust said:

I don't have Tempest 4k on VCS.  I have it on Switch.  Isn't the spinner control backwards?  That's just ridiculous if so and there's no excuse not to fix that.

The spinner controls are all kind of messed up in Tempest 4000 but essentially backwards 😅, a missed opportunity for the Atari VCS as if it was  implemented correctly it could have been a killer feature. I'm pretty sure David had reached out multiple times to have the issue fixed in an update for the Atari VCS but nothing has happened as of yet, seemingly its an easy fix in terms of programing to fix the spinner.

I wonder if it would be possible in a firmware update for the Atari VCS to include a software setting to allow the user to change the classic joystick sensitivity and button mappings etc for some games. I'm pretty sure on a software level within the settings i can configure and remap the controller for certain games on my Evercade VS and the change takes place inside the actual game once done, just a thought that would be awesome for us users who enjoy the classic controller.

3 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Do you really dislike it that much? Have you played it early? I think the visuals of the game stay true to the Recharged series but i do think they should patch the game with an option to change the skin to give it a different look as not everyone will like it, i certainly don't think Atari should be too embarrassed though its a low budget game anyway i guess. 

It's Berzerk. It deserves better. If they can't do justice to the legacy of the series they shouldn't touch it at all. 

I enjoy all the other Recharged games and I love Berzerk, but this just looks horrible. It looks like something you'd see in a web based flash game in 2004. To charge money for it in 2023 is absolutely laughable.

The game is now in the Atari VCS store! Unfortunately the spinner controls are absolutely horrid, no where near Yars Recharged. I'm finding when you twist right on the spinner it aims left and when you twist left it aims right. Its looking like this is one for the modern controller after all. I'll give it a few more tries with the joystick but its not looking to good 

• Like 2

I only played this a little before work today but really enjoyed what I played. It's a bit weird all the hate this is getting both before and after release. As for the recharged series, I still place Quantum as the weakest entry in the series with Missile Command close to the bottom. Not sure were I rank Berzerk yet but it won't be near the bottom, I think Yars Recharged is the best entry so far with Gravitar a close second to top.

• Like 2

Ahh tfw when nobody good has bought the game yet and you get to be top of the board for a minute

IMG_20231109_061208775.thumb.jpg.6d911a4715efc451c426b7e136159a90.jpg

Of course, that's about the most enjoyment I'm going to get out of this.  It's not very good, and yes, the spinner controls are completely busted.  Seriously, do they just not playtest these things at all?  How many lines of code are we talking to fix that?  Give me a break.

• Like 2

Speaking of controls, is mouse support on the VCS ever going to get fixed (game(s) pausing every time you shoot with the mouse)? It's been years now since it got busted. It worked great the first year, or whatever it was, of the VCSs life. I loved using it on the original Missile Command Recharged and would love to use it on Breakout Recharged, and a couple others too. Someone here or on Discord mentioned that he uses a mouse without any issues, but when I press him on what mouse he is using I never get an answer. None of the mice I've tried (wired and wireless) work without the pausing/stuttering. I'd gladly purchase a compatible mouse if one even exists.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zap1982 said:

I only played this a little before work today but really enjoyed what I played. It's a bit weird all the hate this is getting both before and after release. As for the recharged series, I still place Quantum as the weakest entry in the series with Missile Command close to the bottom. Not sure were I rank Berzerk yet but it won't be near the bottom, I think Yars Recharged is the best entry so far with Gravitar a close second to top.

Yars and Gravitar are some of my favorites.  

Ouch, these are some pretty rough first reviews. I won't be able to check this out till tonight, but it seems like the overall response is underwhelming (especially the broken classic support). I wonder, is the previously released Ultra Mission a better Berzerk homage than the official Recharged title?

On 10/24/2023 at 3:34 PM, davpa said:

I find twisting the joystick while still using the stick to move very difficult.  I don't particularly enjoy using the Classic Joystick in Yars: Recharged.  If you like playing Yars: Recharged with the Joystick, Berzerk: Recharged will be a similar play style.  With all the enemies swarming around you, the twin-stick shooter style of the Modern Controller works best for me.

So ironic you mention this. Last night was playing Yars Recharged with classic controller and I love it! I guess thats another positive about the VCS is that it does a great job catering to one's preferences. Really looking forward to Berzerk Recharged later today.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Flyindrew said:

So ironic you mention this. Last night was playing Yars Recharged with classic controller and I love it! I guess thats another positive about the VCS is that it does a great job catering to one's preferences. Really looking forward to Berzerk Recharged later today.

Yars Recharged is awesome with the classic joystick but i can tell you in no way is Berzerk Recharged similar to playing Yars Recharged with the classic joystick. The aiming is backwards for a start with no option to change it. Id probably have more fun playing Berzerk Recharged with an Xbox Kinnect camera waving my hands around to control the game over using the classic joystick. Its such a disappointment i really hope someone over in Discord notices and posts about it and maybe it'll get fixed, but there all crying for an Atari VCS 2 over there when the current Atari VCS still doesn't have games on the store that take full advantage of the hardware. 

Edited by Atari_JaguarVCS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Yars Recharged is awesome with the classic joystick but i can tell you in no way is Berzerk Recharged similar to playing Yars Recharged with the classic joystick. The aiming is backwards for a start with no option to change it. Id probably have more fun playing Berzerk Recharged with an Xbox Kinnect camera waving my hands around to control the game over using the classic joystick. Its such a disappointment i really hope someone over in Discord notices and posts about it and maybe it'll get fixed, but there all crying for an Atari VCS 2 over there when the current Atari VCS still doesn't have games on the store that take full advantage of the hardware. 

Thanks so much for heads up! IM planning to give Berzerk a go with the classic controller, but Im cool with switching to modern controller if need be. What Im more concerned about is the Atari VCS store working properly and I can purchase the game and download it without a glitch.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flyindrew said:

Thanks so much for heads up! IM planning to give Berzerk a go with the classic controller, but Im cool with switching to modern controller if need be. What Im more concerned about is the Atari VCS store working properly and I can purchase the game and download it without a glitch.

Good luck with the Classic Joystick. I think the zip code issue and other issues have been resolved for now with the Atari VCS store so you shouldn't have a problem getting the game 🙂

• Like 1

This is the official launch trailer.

I have always been a Berzerk (and Frenzy) fan, and I really like this recharged game, personally.
It's certainly great multi-player, too.

On the issue of the classic joystick support, to clarify:
- the joystick works perfectly to control the character, movement wise.
- the gun currently works like a clock face, so the gun is good up/down for half the clock, which is weird to explain, but is also not right!
*** the gun direction needs to change at 6 and 12, to reverse the up/down, I think, and then it would be OK. I hope that tweak happens.

The missions should have a description of what is needed, like the achievements, and that seems like it's a bug, on all the releases.
I think a pushed update to fix those two items should follow, and it's an Atari product, so a fix can happen more easily than with others.

I remain frustrated but optimistic on this kind of thing, and until then I really like playing it with a VCS Modern controller.
- Note that it's also possible to reverse the X/Y controls, if that's your thing - notably some people like a joystick to work like a flight yolk.

2 hours ago, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

Good luck with the Classic Joystick. I think the zip code issue and other issues have been resolved for now with the Atari VCS store so you shouldn't have a problem getting the game 🙂

Shame to hear about the controller issues in Berzerk Recharged.  The zip code issues is all cleared up for now but there are still a bunch of people who can not download games when they buy them without going through support to verify the purchase each time.  This issue has been ongoing for many months for quite a few users, some of them just accept it and others have probably moved on from the VCS because of it.

I am not crazy about the way Berzerk Recharged looks.  Even hearing about the controller issues on Berzerk, I will probably still get it, because it is a new Recharged game and I like to support the series.  I hope more Recharged games are coming soon.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, justclaws said:

- the gun currently works like a clock face, so the gun is good up/down for half the clock, which is weird to explain, but is also not right!
*** the gun direction needs to change at 6 and 12, to reverse the up/down, I think, and then it would be OK. I hope that tweak happens.

When you rotate the stick clockwise, the gun rotates counter clockwise.  It's not good at any point.

I don't understand why people have such a hard time getting the damn controls right on this thing.  Rotary controllers have been around for 50 years, what's the big confusion here.  Just map the rotation 1:1.

Even if the direction was corrected (don't count on it), the game would be unplayable with the classic.  You need to be able to quickly rotate the gun 360° while moving, and the controls are not nearly sensitive enough.  You need to actually rotate the stick a full 360° to do that in the game.  That's not possible without letting go of the stick to reset your hand, or contorting your whole wrist and elbow to twist it all the way around, and nobody plays like that.  

• Like 1

So last night I tried the classic controller with Berzerk Recharged and it did not go well. Soon after I had so much fun playing Danger Scavenger with classic controller, a game which should have the same control style as Berzerk. If the VCS team modified the classic controller on Berzerk to work just like Danger Scavenger, that would be fantastic. 

• Like 2