IGNORED

AtariLink ][ questions

rickcollette

On 11/17/2023 at 6:41 AM, rickcollette said:

I ran bobterm, ATZ give "OK", ATV0 gives "0"
so.. testing with a completely different hardware setup...

Rick - BobTerm has its own handler. Suggest the Sparta 3.3a RS232.COM handler or the Altirra handler which we know works. Curious also what OS you are using as my Altirra test was completed using SpartaDos 3.3a 

16 hours ago, Pab said:

Going through the code, looking for things that can be jettisoned and that need to be corrected....

Is there going to be anyone running this thing (virtually or on real hardware) with a single disk drive?

i plan to run on the following:
512k 800XL
SpartaDOS/X (Current)
IDE 2.0+ Rev H
850 Interface
WiModem32

I am happy to change that config if it helps getting this going :)

On 11/19/2023 at 2:43 AM, Amis said:

Rick - BobTerm has its own handler. Suggest the Sparta 3.3a RS232.COM handler or the Altirra handler which we know works. Curious also what OS you are using as my Altirra test was completed using SpartaDos 3.3a 

I tried terminals first:

Bobterm and 850Express do work
My OS is SpartaDOS/X current
IceT I could not get to work properly

Handlers I have tried: All I could find. 
prconn.hnd when I tried with PRConn
850hnd.com from the forem xep distribution
rs232.com from spartaX
The altirra handler

Edited by rickcollette

50 minutes ago, rickcollette said:

i plan to run on the following:
512k 800XL
SpartaDOS/X (Current)
IDE 2.0+ Rev H
850 Interface
WiModem32

I am happy to change that config if it helps getting this going :)

You're using a hard drive, not a single floppy configuration.  My plans are to essentially do away with the concept of "work disk" and let the SysOp specify folders for text/info files, file catalogs, etc. I doubt anyone running a BBS in 2023 is going to rely on a single <360K floppy disk for everything. Just making sure.

Playing around with connecting through Altirra.

What speeds are you connecting to the BBS at? I tried configuring Altirra to report a 9600 baud connection, and AtariLink didn't recognize the "Connect" message as having connected. Going down to 2400 and I was able to connect through Telnet correctly.

Apparently "12" is the numeric response code equivalent of "CONNECT 9600." I never accounted for this because the fastest modems when I wrote the thing were at 2400.

Looks like I've got some codes to start recognizing.

Do you get to the "Waiting for a call" screen?

On 11/18/2023 at 8:39 AM, Pab said:

Can you record what your machine is doing from first running LINK20X.bas until the AT loop you describe? Just cellphone footage would help. I can try to figure out exactly where the problem is happening and try to fix or work around it. 

i missed this - yep, ill get that sometime today or tomorrow.

Weird question. I originally wrote this for the T: driver for the 830 and SX and have it doing an XIO 36 to adjust the transmission speed.

With the R: driver(s), do I really need to adjust the transmission speed with each connection? Or could I just talk to the serial port/modem at 9600/19.2 and let the modem downshift the communication speed to whatever it needs?

I'm finding difficulties taking incoming calls at 9600 and 14.4. The BBS keeps wanting to default down to 300 bps.

On 11/22/2023 at 2:13 PM, Pab said:

Weird question. I originally wrote this for the T: driver for the 830 and SX and have it doing an XIO 36 to adjust the transmission speed.

With the R: driver(s), do I really need to adjust the transmission speed with each connection? Or could I just talk to the serial port/modem at 9600/19.2 and let the modem downshift the communication speed to whatever it needs?

I'm finding difficulties taking incoming calls at 9600 and 14.4. The BBS keeps wanting to default down to 300 bps.

Simple and not a weird question at all- open the throttle - XIO 36,15,0 and remove the variable baud rate code as it’s a complexity which is unnecessary. 

NEW BUILD: 231128 Alpha. Contains some major changes; suggest a reinstall if just playing around.

Changes since last build:

* Support for four file extenders for text files - ATASCII, ASCII, and up to two custom.
    * Initialization program now creates text files for each extender from cabinet files. No need to copy from “work disk”
    * Support for custom directory for E-mail base; no longer confined to D1:
    * Changing references to programs and CONFIG files to “D:” instead of “D1:” for DOS’s that default to current drive and path for "D:"
    * Message base sizes now defined in kilobytes, not sectors.
    * BBS now hangs up modem before waiting for call
    * All communication with serial port now at max speed
    * Path definitions for message bases and directories currently limited to 13 characters. Will expand that, but will take effort.
    * Delays in sending modem commands now timed by jiffy counter, to compensate for faster BASICs and hardware.
    * Renamed “AUTODOOR” to “MAINT” to better identify its purpose.
    * Expanded MAINT to allow more than one maintenance program to be run, the way it was originally intended.
    * Fixed bug preventing people from properly entering passwords or phone numbers, preveniting logins.

Link201X-231128-alpha.atr

I started from scratch using the BUILD: 231128 Alpha
Running on Atari800MacX

Atari Basic ROM
SpartaX Rom
R: rs232.com from spartax

Ran begin
Reconfigured everything to be pretty minimal
Ran the Main BBS program.
When it tries to go into WFC mode I get error 12 on line 10020

I swear I am not trying to break this on purpose :) I really really want this to work :)

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 10.38.23 AM.png

Edited by rickcollette

The error 12 is because it doesn't know where to go after reporting the error. (The variable WH - for 'where' - hasn't been set by that point.) 

It calls the error handling routine, prints an error code, and then tries to go to the recovery line number - which doesn't exist, so error 12. Eventually the real error scrolls off the screen.

Plug a STOP in before the GOTO WH. Then you can take that out once we know the "real" error and I can fix it. Hopefully.