IGNORED

6th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards: Voting Information & Discussion

POLLS ARE CLOSED!

Thank you so much to everyone who voted in the 6th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards and I hope you discovered some great games in this year's batch of nominees!

Make sure you mark on your calendars that this SATURDAY FEBRUARY 24th is the presentation of the 6th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards with LIVE acceptance speeches from the winners that you voted for! See you there!

6th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards Live Presentation

LIVE @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT

WATCH LIVE ON TWITCH: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew

20240127-6thAnnualAtariHombrewAwards-PromoSquare.thumb.jpg.e2aeac195cdf7ed7de784db503112173.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

we have exactly 100 votes less than last year.

Using those figures, if you take the average of the results where categories have been combined then it comes to only 27 fewer votes mainly from the 5200/8-bit categories. This keeps in mind that for each combined category you're removing a potential vote from each person.

55 minutes ago, SmittyB said:

Using those figures, if you take the average of the results where categories have been combined then it comes to only 27 fewer votes mainly from the 5200/8-bit categories. This keeps in mind that for each combined category you're removing a potential vote from each person.

These are not easily compared.

• If you merge two categories, the votes should go slightly up. Because most people have voted for both categories in the past, but some only for one. These will now vote for the merged category. 
  • So, if you split a category, the average will slightly go down.
  • But there is a reason for a merge and a split. If you merge because there are too few entries, the competition is less strong. So the average quality of the entries is reduced (on average!). This will most likely result into less votes. And if you split a category, the same happens to the new, split categories. But the reasons for a merge of split can be different and the effects might be the opposite.

If we disregard the merged and split categories, we have 1214 (6th) vs 1265 (5th). So there is a slight decline (~4%) in the number of votes.

• Like 2

6TH ANNUAL ATARI HOMEBREW AWARDS TOMORROW!!

February 24, 2024 @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT
WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

22 awards in multiple categories will be given away for Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, 8-Bit, Lynx, Jaguar, Packaging & Lifetime Achievement! Tune in to find out what the community voted for the top games of the year with LIVE acceptance speeches from the developers! See you in the Twitch chat!

A huge thank you to AtariAge, our amazing sponsor for the 6th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards for helping make the event happen!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @ZeroPage Homebrew for another wonderful Atari Homebrew Awards show!

It was great to see and hear from all the winners. (and the occasional guest cat or two)

Also thank you to @Albert and AtariAge for sponsoring this event and for cultivating this amazing community.

Finally, congratulations to all of the nominees and award winners, for this year! Your work is an inspiration to so many of us.

Cheers!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Great show! @ZeroPage Homebrew I am sure eventually you will get your own award.

BTW: IMO there should be a category for tools (hardware & software) which directly support homebrew development. Without tools there wouldn't be homebrews.

Except they'd be the same tools every year with incrementing version numbers....

The ZPH crew continues to outdo themselves every year.  What a fantastic awards show!   It really showcases the fantastic efforts homebrew authors are putting forth and is a great celebration of this growing genre across multiple platforms.  And the showcase is one of the most polished efforts I've seen of its kind.

Edited by littaum
A few more sentences of praise.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CONGRATULATIONS!

Congratulations to all the winners of the 6th Annual Atari Homebrew Awards, hosted by ZeroPage Homebrew and sponsored by AtariAge! Also congratulations to all the nominees and everyone who helped contributed to a game this past year! A huge thank you to this amazing homebrew community for their continuing enthusiasm and support for these incredible systems we all love!

Below are all the categories and winners who will be soon getting their Atari Homebrew Awards trophies and certificates! We're all so lucky to be able to play these incredible creations and I can't wait to see what next year brings!

I've also unhidden the full results of the voting so you can check out the numbers!

- James

20240225-6thAnnualAtariHombrewAwards-Winners.thumb.jpg.0f814305ce9057a8bc2215a927760c5a.jpg

• Like 12

James and Tanya are great at giving recognition to the nomination committee. Their efforts can't be understated.

I tried to play as many of the games as possible before casting my votes, but it requires so much time! And that's just for the games that got nominated!

So kudos to the all those on the nomination committed for volunteering their time and effort! 👏👏👏

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some stats, looking at 2600 games only:

• Most wins: Elevator Agent (2)
  • Clearest win: Bot & Tom in Atari 2600 Best Homebrew ≤ 4K (Original & Port) :) 
  • Closest win: Kovi Kovi (33.3%), Escape from Mars (32.2%) in Atari 2600 Best Music + Sound (Original)
  • Closest race: Penult (26.3%), Game of the Bear 2 (20.3%), Tober's Nightmare (18.6%) in Atari 2600 Best Homebrew (Original)

Besides the 2600, Bubble Bobble in 7800 WIP (66.7%) was the clearest winner overall and Jaguar Homebrew was the closest race overall.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Some stats, looking at 2600 games only:

• Most wins: Elevator Agent (2)
  • Clearest win: Bot & Tom in Atari 2600 Best Homebrew ≤ 4K (Original & Port) :) 
  • Closest win: Kovi Kovi (33.3%), Escape from Mars (32.2%) in Atari 2600 Best Music + Sound (Original)
  • Closest race: Penult (26.3%), Game of the Bear 2 (20.3%), Tober's Nightmare (18.6%) in Atari 2600 Best Homebrew (Original)

Besides the 2600, Bubble Bobble in 7800 WIP (66.7%) was the clearest winner overall and Jaguar Homebrew was the closest race overall.

not to mention that champ games won 3 wins total there was a win for Turbo arcade as well forgot what it was for

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Best graphics.

Yes, John and his crew own the awards. :) 

I may be poking a hornet's nest with this, but as I'm still somewhat of a newbie here, I'll allow myself:
Actually, one can argue about whether it is fair that ARM games have to be rated in the same category as "lecacy" games. Surely there have already been numerous discussions about this?

• Like 1

Strike Zone Bowling

The original Atari bowling was only 2k (reference) and Strike Zone Bowling is 32k, so it's not very fair to compare them, is it?  Yet since AFAIK they remain to this day (about 45 years later) still the only two bowling games ever made for the 2600, then compare them we must!

Strike Zone Bowling is like an entire "Let's go to the bowling alley" experience on the 2600.  It begins with pulling up to the building in your car.  Then, after walking inside, renting your shoes.  Only then do you start bowling.  And when you make strikes and spares, you are entertained by cut scenes - yes, you heard me right, I said cut scenes - of your bowler celebrating from a reverse camera angle.  Strike and spare animations.  "In the Zone" (kind of like when your snowspeeder glows and becomes invincible for a while in Star War The Empire Strikes Back by Parker Brothers, 1982).  I love that!  And after your game is over, a random view of either the restroom, snack bar, pool table or arcade machine.  As such, AFAIK in the 2600 library, Strike Zone Bowling is unique.  I know of no other Atari 2600 game of any kind in any genre that provides such a complete start-to-finish experience.  Do you?  

Congrats to all the nominees and all the winners.  It's such a good time to be an Atari fan.  The Atari homebrew community is definitely "In The Zone!"  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, m.o.terra kaesi said:

I may be poking a hornet's nest with this, but as I'm still somewhat of a newbie here, I'll allow myself:
Actually, one can argue about whether it is fair that ARM games have to be rated in the same category as "lecacy" games. Surely there have already been numerous discussions about this?

Of course you are right.  It would be like combining stock cars and formula one race cars into one race.  

And combining 4k ROMS and 32k ROMS would be like combining light weight and heavy weight boxers into one competition.  

But there is another point to consider that I would also like to mention.  

What is a homebrew?

Personally, I don't consider Champ Games to be a homebrew developer.  I consider Champ Games to be a commercial, 3rd party game developer.  To me, Champ Games is the new Activision.  IMO Champ Games shouldn't be in any awards called "Homebrew Awards."  Champ Games games should be compared instead to other contemporary commercial releases such as Atari's Mr. Run and Jump and Circus Convoy by Audacity Games.  A separate awards program for the commercial releases.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade

1 hour ago, m.o.terra kaesi said:

Below are links to previous discussions on the subject. WARNING these threads can get VERY LONG but I suggest reading through them so people aren't rehashing things that have been talked about ad nauseam before:

2012: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/204095-ataris-promise-means-its-not-cheating/

2020: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/300733-legacy-versus-arm-based-2600-game-development/

2021: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/321006-arm-basedenhanced-atari-development-mister-fpga-and-preservation/

8 minutes ago, Living Room Arcade said:

Champ Games games should be compared instead to other contemporary commercial releases such as Atari's Mr. Run and Jump and Circus Convoy by Audacity Games.  A separate awards program for the commercial releases.

Can you expand on your definition of a commercial release? Do you also feel that all AtariAge games are commercial releases? Any game sold for money? Any developer who has sold more than one title (Audacity currently has one title)? A game that has more than one person involved?

- James

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Living Room Arcade said:

Personally, I don't consider Champ Games to be a homebrew developer.  I consider Champ Games to be a commercial, 3rd party game developer.  To me, Champ Games is the new Activision.  IMO Champ Games shouldn't be in any awards called "Homebrew Awards."  Champ Games games should be compared instead to other contemporary commercial releases such as Atari's Mr. Run and Jump and Circus Convoy by Audacity Games.  A separate awards program for the commercial releases.  

I disagree.  I consider homebrew games to be those developed by enthusiasts in their free time.  When John and Nathan have quit their jobs and are working in an office somewhere developing games full-time, then I would consider them closer to third-party publishers from the heyday of the 2600.  Audacity Games is also not doing this full-time, nor do they have commercial offices somewhere.  Just because Champ Games is very good at what they do doesn't mean that they aren't homebrew games.  If you want to add "commercial games" as a completely separate thing from "homebrew games", well, AtariAge has been a real company for some time, so would that make everything I publish through AtariAge "commercial games"?  Or anyone else who has setup a legitimate business to do so? 

..Al

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2