IGNORED

Sealed Jaguar Full Set

Senamental

I started a sealed Jaguar set(North America/official release in the life of the system) about a year ago with 10 games and thought ..ah screw it.. there are other things I'd rather collect.  But the awful idea has returned and the last few weeks I've started up again and I'm going to commit to it.  Will it be impossible?  Aircars, Iron Soldier 2, Worms and Rayman seem very difficult.  Any words of wisdom?  For what its worth, I'm a pretty modest collector and more of a gamer.  I've never gone for a full set.  Just seems like fun and the time to do it while Jaguar product is still out there.

I started collecting Jaguar about 15 years ago and a LOT of the games I bought at the time were NOS, still sealed.  I opened all of them though, because I intended to play them.  I'm sure it would be a lot more difficult to obtain sealed games now, and might take years for some of them to pop up, but it probably isn't impossible.  Is it actually worth doing though... That's another question altogether!

5 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

Didn't air cars, worms and iron soldier 2 come out after the official life of the system ended/were never officially sold in stores in the US?

Yes, but my copy of Worms arrived sealed, straight from Telegames.  And it still is.  I bought it around the time the JagGD was first announced, so I left it sealed knowing I could one day play the game that way.

You can buy a sealed copy of Worms from Telegames UK, while you won’t get choice of the quality of the existing shrink wrap you can buy them today sealed. Not that expensive either. I have the full set sealed myself of carts and cds. I’d say go for it if you only have a few left. However like others say it may take years and expect to pay top dollar as others are looking for them as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

Yes, but my copy of Worms arrived sealed, straight from Telegames.  And it still is.  I bought it around the time the JagGD was first announced, so I left it sealed knowing I could one day play the game that way.

Was just thinking since op mentioned he wanted a North American/commercial release set, that this would exclude the telegames stuff.

14 hours ago, sirlynxalot said:

Was just thinking since op mentioned he wanted a North American/commercial release set, that this would exclude the telegames stuff.

Huh, I hadn't thought of that.  I've always considered Worms part of the commercial library, and I don't know why anybody would want to exclude it from that set.  Limiting yourself to North American releases seems a little odd to me in the Jaguar's case, though that is what the OP said.

Edited by PFG 9000

On 11/14/2023 at 3:06 PM, Senamental said:

Any words of wisdom?

If you aren't going to bother playing them and plan on just sitting them on a shelf, then just collect the boxes. Nobody will know when you take the photo, and we promise not to tell anyone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, PFG 9000 said:

Huh, I hadn't thought of that.  I've always considered Worms part of the commercial library, and I don't know why anybody would want to exclude it from that set.  Limiting yourself to North American releases seems a little odd to me in the Jaguar's case, though that is what the OP said.

All of the Telegames Lynx and Jaguar releases were sold in USA retail shops back in the late 1990s.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CyranoJ said:

If you aren't going to bother playing them and plan on just sitting them on a shelf, then just collect the boxes. Nobody will know when you take the photo, and we promise not to tell anyone.

I meannn…it’s something with sealed games for me dude.  I don’t think I’ve ever shared pics of my games it’s just a…fetish. The boxes are sweet but it’s gotta have that stupid plastic for this system.

6 hours ago, Songbird said:

All of the Telegames Lynx and Jaguar releases were sold in USA retail shops back in the late 1990s.

That's very interesting and I didn't know that.  I vaguely remember when telegames released Raiden for lynx several years after I had ever seen a lynx for sale in stores, and thought it was a mail order only item.  Were they sold at mainstream chain shops such as ebx/electronics boutique, babbages, funco land, kb toys, or was it more hole in the wall shops since the Jaguar and lynx were no longer officially supported by that time?

13 hours ago, Senamental said:

I meannn…it’s something with sealed games for me dude.  I don’t think I’ve ever shared pics of my games it’s just a…fetish. The boxes are sweet but it’s gotta have that stupid plastic for this system.

Collector's gonna collect. I dunno, I don't generally collect stuff, but I recently got a sealed copy of Hoverstrike: Unconquered Lands (Not collector quality, it's a bit warped, but... it's sealed) because it was cheap and the copy I had didn't come with the overlay, and now that I have it... I kinda don't want to open it 😞

On 11/15/2023 at 10:46 AM, sirlynxalot said:

Didn't air cars, worms and iron soldier 2 come out after the official life of the system ended/were never officially sold in stores in the US?

I think Air Cars is a special case here: it wobbled around in development at Midnite/Atari(?), and then ICD acquired it, and offered it for sale right around the end of the Jag's life, so it could have been sold by them before the system was officially discontinued. I recently bought a CatBox off of MacRorie (thanks!), and the manual for the thing contains an interesting rant against Atari and the death of the Jaguar, etc.; I'd be curious to see if ICD's Air Cars release had some similar diatribe in the simple manual that came with it. I don't see one in the scan on this site, but maybe they included a rant on a special insert.

I've never seen a "sealed" ICD Air Cars, either. Did they actually offer it for sale that way? Or perhaps that saran wrap around the cardboard inserts, but not the cartridge itself, makes it "sealed". Or did ICD package the entire game in a plastic baggie? The mystery of it all!

The Battlesphere development team is listed in the CatBox manual -- it was one of the few games that it was in development when Atari folded and then later released for sale when work was complete. Wouldn't that make it part of the "full" set? I'd argue that the same logic should be applied to the Songbird and Telegames releases that were coded largely by commercial developers in the '90s, and then perhaps finished for cleaned up and eventually published after the Jag was discontinued -- as opposed to homebrew efforts (as good as they are) developed outside of a traditionally transactional view of software development.

And I really don't see why Speedster II and Skycopter are never given consideration in these discussions: they were, after all, commercial offerings in the U.S. in the late '90s. I realize it's doubtful that any Jag enthusiast got their hands on a cart at the time, but still.

Okay, I overstated it: the manual just has some snark ("The End?"), rather than a rant. Still, I wonder what "yucks" Leonard T. gave to the good folks at ICD.

Also: J. Fabrotta of Ohio, if you're out there, I now have the Catbox that you ordered in 1997. And it looks like, even then, the Jag CD add-on was selling for $149.99 at B&C Computervisions. Amusingly, Club Drive is listed as "limited". Truth in advertising or low stock advisory? Choose your own adventure!!

CatboxManual.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Machine said:

I also have a sealed procontroller. I will open it one day if needed. I bought it as a backup. Not sure what the sealed part adds to the value?

One sealed and one open for me.  The boxes were never shrink wrapped were they?  I am only aware that the controller had a bag over it.  Was that even tied off with a wire tie?