IGNORED

Iron Soldier II and Breakout 2000 going out of print?

jgkspsx

From the latest Songbird newsletter:

Furthermore, there are a few games which are only available while supplies last, and WILL NOT be available from Songbird at a later date. These affected games are Lynx Centipede, Jaguar Iron Soldier 2 (both CD and cart), and Breakout 2000.

That's a real bummer.

I wonder if Telegames will keep making them.

• Sad 1

I'm not sure that "will not be available from Songbird" means OOP in terms of the Jag games. They are Telegames releases. Centipede on the Lynx, I completely understand though.

ETA: I should probably clarify why I'm saying this. IS2 and Breakout 2000 are presumably still Atari IP. As is Centipede. Atari obviously put the kibosh on Songbird and AA selling certain games/using Atari logos. Does their reach extend to Telegames in the UK? That I don't know, but that is why I'm assuming that Songbird won't be selling those games.

34 minutes ago, madman said:

I'm not sure that "will not be available from Songbird" means OOP in terms of the Jag games. They are Telegames releases. Centipede on the Lynx, I completely understand though.

Carl is still carrying the other Telegames releases, though. That suggests something else is afoot. What's weird is that I don't think Atari owns Iron Soldier?

It's quite likely a supply chain issue.

ie, the cost of importing it from telegames (who want to make a profit, why wouldn't they?) and then reselling with a profit (Songbird, just like AA and everywhere else selling stuff, is a business) makes it significantly more expensive than someone just buying it direct from Telegames.

its not a TV or a fridge and songbird isn't (afaik) a brick and mortor store you can pop down the road when you have a Jaguar emergency that requires a fix in 30 minutes, its a niche item - If consumers aren't going to buy an item because the same google result for it shows it cheaper elsewhere, then there's no point in stocking an item.

Sure, if you live in the US there's an advantage to buying from Songbird. It'll arrive quicker domestically and be in great shape because Carl would have weeded out any damaged boxes.  However, for the rest of the world, you are paying for quite likely two transatlantic, or one transatlantic and one pacific shipped parcel.  Postage is crazy prices these days.

• Like 5

There's also what CJ said. IMO this topic is misleading as Songbird never stated OOP. Best Buy stated they will no longer be carrying physical video media, that doesn't mean all blu-rays are OOP. Although I still believe the IS2 and Breakout 2000 situation is due to Atari rather than supply chain.

7 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

Is Telegames still in business? 
(for that matter, is there an ongoing demand for old Jag games? I don’t mean to sound snarky about it, but much newer/more popular games than those have gone out of print)

Yes, Telegames is still in business. Look at Jag prices today compared to 5 years ago, there's your answer on if there's demand for old Jag games.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, madman said:

Yes, Telegames is still in business. Look at Jag prices today compared to 5 years ago, there's your answer on if there's demand for old Jag games.

They seem to be but their website is blocked in the 90's and is quite buggy as well, so you think twice before ordering anything there. Too bad because they have a bunch of games who would greatly benefit from a modern reprint and some exposure.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, LordKraken said:

They seem to be but their website is blocked in the 90's and is quite buggy as well, so you think twice before ordering anything there. Too bad because they have a bunch of games who would greatly benefit from a modern reprint and some exposure.

Sounds no different than people who complain that Best isn't Amazon. If people don't want to order from Telegames for whatever reason that's on them.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/17/2023 at 10:23 PM, jgkspsx said:

Carl is still carrying the other Telegames releases, though. That suggests something else is afoot. What's weird is that I don't think Atari owns Iron Soldier?

Only Carl can give that actual reason for this but it could just mean he is dropping those items that are not selling fast enough to warrant stocking them, remember that carrying stock that does not sell is taking up both storage space and cash flow that could be used for better selling items.

13 minutes ago, LordKraken said:

Telegames is a game publisher and it's not like they have published hundreds of games. Plus I couldn't add anything ot my cart yesterday :)

Remember that Telegames is not what is once was, didn't Telegrams US collapse and vanish something like 10 year ago, or at least stop stocking product for Atari consoles. Even by that time I think Telegrams had scaled back operations and Telegames UK consisted solely of Pete.

It has been severally years since I ordered anything from them directly and sometimes communication/dispatch could be a little slow, maybe because there was more to do than one person could process in a short time, but it is equally possible that responses slowed because at some point it no longer produced a suitable income to be run on a fulltime basis.

Apart from the occasional delay I never had any problem dealing with them in the past, and I think we are lucky that they continue to support the Jaguar, occasionally producing cartridges to keep supply of their products going.

I do agree that the website could use a little TLC, restoring the product images would help as without them it it does make it seem a little abandoned. As for not being able to add anything to your cart I would suggest e-mailing them, it may just have been an issue with that particular item or a temporary glitch as I have just tried it and was able to add a couple of items to the cart.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Stephen Moss said:

Only Carl can give that actual reason for this but it could just mean he is dropping those items that are not selling fast enough to warrant stocking them, remember that carrying stock that does not sell is taking up both storage space and cash flow that could be used for better selling items.

At PRGE, Carl told me that Evercade was discontinuing all of its Atari titles. That, and the fact that Breakout is still an important library title with name recognition, leads me to believe that Atari is policing its brand (and IP) quite carefully these days. I have no idea what's going on with Iron Soldier, though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, davidcalgary29 said:

At PRGE, Carl told me that Evercade was discontinuing all of its Atari titles. That, and the fact that Breakout is still an important library title with name recognition, leads me to believe that Atari is policing its brand (and IP) quite carefully these days. I have no idea what's going on with Iron Soldier, though.

Evercade did much better by the 2600, 7800, and Lynx games than MyArcade has so far, so I don't know that "policing [more] carefully" is true.

On 11/20/2023 at 2:50 AM, LordKraken said:
On 11/20/2023 at 1:05 AM, LordKraken said:

But Best has the excuse to be some sort of Ali Baba cavern, with thousands of reference. Telegames is a game publisher and it's not like they have published hundreds of games. Plus I couldn't add anything ot my cart yesterday :)

I ordered Worms from Telegames UK earlier this year and received my copy in a timely manner. Their web site is wonky though and certain parts of it seem to have broken links. I think I went to a page that listed all their games by console and was able to order from there.  You might have to hunt and peck around to find the page that works. I didn't have tons of confidence when I placed my order, but rolled the dice and got my game. 🤣

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2023 at 2:13 AM, LordKraken said:

How is the packaging? Box and print quality?

The quality of the current Limited Edition Telegames releases is slightly improved over the 1996/'97 Telegames releases, but not as good as the Telegames releases from the OG days. The current Telegames quality isn't as good as the releases from Atari Age and Songbird.

Top: OG Telegames release

Mid: 1996/'97 releases that they sold for years

Bottom: The latest Limited Edition releases

YAg6l6Z.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1