IGNORED

Atari 2600 related test results (not 7800!)

Thomas Jentzsch

Has anyone got PAL Stargate to work? It's still showing as untested on the revised compatibility list. I've coaxed every cart back into life except this one and it's connections are gleaming it's been cleaned so much. I need to know if I have to write it off as a broken cart or if it'll get fixed in a firmware update. Thanks.

12 hours ago, SparkleFork said:

Has anyone got PAL Stargate to work? It's still showing as untested on the revised compatibility list. I've coaxed every cart back into life except this one and it's connections are gleaming it's been cleaned so much. I need to know if I have to write it off as a broken cart or if it'll get fixed in a firmware update. Thanks.

My PAL Stargate does work!

20231222_113112.jpg

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

My PAL Stargate does work!

20231222_113112.jpg

I didn’t even realise it was a thing, much less way better-looking than Defender, so I’ve got a bid on “Defender II” (I’m assuming copyright required the change, just like they had to do on home computer releases and Williams Arcade Clasics) 😁👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

I didn’t even realise it was a thing, much less way better-looking than Defender, so I’ve got a bid on “Defender II” (I’m assuming copyright required the change, just like they had to do on home computer releases and Williams Arcade Clasics) 😁👍

It supports a joystick in second port for smart bombs, etc.

I used to play it with foot pedals in second port.

Now I use a pad together with the Unijoysticle2 (left stick P1 and right stick P2).

I do not like Defender but Stargate is great on the 2600🤙

20231215_173425.jpg

uni_gamepad_mode_enhanced.png

20200419_151451.jpg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

It supports a joystick in second port for smart bombs, etc.

I used to play it with foot pedals in second port.

Now I use a pad together with the Unijoysticle2 (left stick P1 and right stick P2).

I do not like Defender but Stargate is great on the 2600🤙

The arcade Defender is my favourite; someday I hope to have enough space to own a replica upright cab; there’s an outfit in England that makes them with actual PCBs, not an emulator. I was always impressed that Atari managed to make a home version that included hyperspace and smart bombs and the radar, even if the sound wasn’t right. But Stargate with the colours and all, wow, that must be something!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

My Threshold arrived and works on the 2600+ 

Pew, pew 🤗

20231229_195111.jpg

20231229_200340.jpg

I'm glad yours is working brother.

I just spend 20 minutes cleaning and reinserting mine (on newest firmware and shipped firmware) and still not working.

Must just be a duff cart. I've bought loads and loads of carts in the last couple of months, and almost all of them work perfectly so I guess having a few duds is to be expected

How's the game?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Karnov said:

I'm glad yours is working brother.

I just spend 20 minutes cleaning and reinserting mine (on newest firmware and shipped firmware) and still not working.

Must just be a duff cart. I've bought loads and loads of carts in the last couple of months, and almost all of them work perfectly so I guess having a few duds is to be expected

How's the game?

Have only played for 5 minutes so far.

Seems to be a nice shooter but I need to play it extended time, as I have seen only the 2nd wave so far. It is not easy to hit the enemies and not to get hit as their shots are rather missiles chasing you.

Could get boring after a while, it will depend on how the enemy waves will enhance, I,'ll let you know. For 2nd run I will use my arcade stick to hammer my rapid fire🕹

I am glad to have a copy🤗

Worm War I looks similar but seems to be the better game (scrolling, worms 😉).

And well, my non working 2600+ cart is Juno First (works of course on Jr)... a big loss...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Have only played for 5 minutes so far.

Seems to be a nice shooter but I need to play it extended time, as I have seen only the 2nd wave so far. It is not easy to hit the enemies and not to get hit as their shots are rather missiles chasing you.

Could get boring after a while, it will depend on how the enemy waves will enhance, I,'ll let you know. For 2nd run I will use my arcade stick to hammer my rapid fire🕹

I am glad to have a copy🤗

Worm War I looks similar but seems to be the better game (scrolling, worms 😉).

And well, my non working 2600+ cart is Juno First (works of course on Jr)... a big loss...

I ordered another copy, fingers crossed I have better luck this time!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

I ordered another copy, fingers crossed I have better luck this time!

Fingers crossed🕹

After my 2nd run with my arcade stick, I am more than happy with that game. 

Threshold is a great shooter indeed but very tough. Better select game 3 for easy mode.

As you can cancel your first shot with another button press, your tactics can vary between rapid fire at short distance or aimed and timed long shots. To make more points you have to kill each wave fast but if the last enemy kills you, you have to start over the whole wave again.

An addictive game...

Today a manual would give me the advice to take many breaks while playing and warn me for epileptic seizures😉

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I thought Juno First does work on the 2600+.  Too bad it's not working on yours.  It's a good homebrew.  I should have gotten a copy when it was available.  

It basically works but some carts on some 2600+ systems fail, even they should work on the 2600+ and they do work on a Jr.

I got it working for one single time, when I moved it left then down inside the slot. If I remove the case I might have better luck😊

Edited by DEANJIMMY
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DEANJIMMY said:

Fingers crossed🕹

After my 2nd run with my arcade stick, I am more than happy with that game. 

Threshold is a great shooter indeed but very tough. Better select game 3 for easy mode.

As you can cancel your first shot with another button press, your tactics can vary between rapid fire at short distance or aimed and timed long shots. To make more points you have to kill each wave fast but if the last enemy kills you, you have to start over the whole wave again.

An addictive game...

Today a manual would give me the advice to take many breaks while playing and warn me for epileptic seizures😉

I need to stop reading this kind of post as it just makes my eBay watchlist larger when I thought I was done collecting! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sean_1970 said:

Right, now I’ve got Threshold and Marauder carts en route. The perils of having something on an eBay watchlist and sellers making you an offer 😂

My first experience of Tigervision games so I hope they’re as good as folk say 😉

Let us all know what you think of them when they arrive 

I've got 2 working Tigervision carts (Marauder and Polaris) and 2 more on the way (Jawbreaker and Threshold)

• Like 1