Best consoles for RPG fans !

JPF997

My tier list 

For Home console's :

S tier : SNES; Megadrive + Sega CD; PS1;                  Sega Saturn

A tier : PS2; PS3; Xbox 360; PS5; PC Engine 

B tier : NES; Master System; Xbox One; PS4;               Xbox Series X/S

For Handheld's:

S tier: Gameboy Advance; PSP; PS Vita,                         Nintendo   Switch

A tier: DS; 3DS; Game Gear

B tier : Wonderswan; Neo Geo Pocket Color;

Gameboy 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 9:44 PM, M-S said:

I'd say the Nintendo Switch should also be on that list, probably on A tier.

Because it's in the handheld list, S-tier which I fully agree with both being there, and at that rank.  Not only its own releases, the ports it got too, but even the Nintendo online NES/SNES/GEN/GB family etc stuff has more in there too.

• Like 1

I think most people can agree that the SFC/SNES and PS1 are at the top of the list, due to the sheer quantity and variety of RPGs on those consoles.  I'd also rank the Switch up there, which brought console RPGs back to glory after years of the genre being mostly ignored (or worse, developed for creepy perverts desperate for anime boobs).

However, I'd personally rank the NES/FC right up there, simply for having the first three Final Fantasy games, first four Dragon Quest games, and Mother, which are all excellent games (many of them 5/5 of classics imo).  It's also got several good-to-excellent ports from classic computer RPG series, such as Wizardry, Might & Magic, The Bard's Tale, and Ultima (excluding the horrible port of Warriors of Destiny), so you could argue that it trumps even the mighty SFC/SNES in variety.

I'd probably rank the PC Engine next; it has a TON of RPGs, but many of them are at best mediocre in my experience.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, newtmonkey said:

I think most people can agree that the SFC/SNES and PS1 are at the top of the list, due to the sheer quantity and variety of RPGs on those consoles.  I'd also rank the Switch up there, which brought console RPGs back to glory after years of the genre being mostly ignored (or worse, developed for creepy perverts desperate for anime boobs).

However, I'd personally rank the NES/FC right up there, simply for having the first three Final Fantasy games, first four Dragon Quest games, and Mother, which are all excellent games (many of them 5/5 of classics imo).  It's also got several good-to-excellent ports from classic computer RPG series, such as Wizardry, Might & Magic, The Bard's Tale, and Ultima (excluding the horrible port of Warriors of Destiny), so you could argue that it trumps even the mighty SFC/SNES in variety.

5 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

I don't like RPGs but I agree seeing the NES ranked as low as the Master System doesn't make sense.

Yeah the NES is unfair, and are we speaking domestic?  I'm not saying this as a light poke, I'm responding to someone here from 2 continents, neither from Japan.  If you take a nice dip into the deep side of the pool that is the Famicom holy crap comes to mind.  Sure Mother came up, nice, but it also finally got an overly belated legit world release.  The FC has a bunch of stand alone RPGs, and some from franchises that took awhile to come stateside such as Shin Megami Tensei.  There are other titles the DS release Heracles started on FC with 2 titles.  If we mud it up a little into S/T RPGs then you have Famicom Wars, Fire Emblem, and even more weeds to root out.  The NES/FC is as much an S-tier as the SFC/SNES ever would be, even if the games are older, stiffer, still getting comfy in their early roots.  Wizardry came up, it had more titles there.  RndStranger on YT did an utterly insane thing over like 3 years, Famidaily.  One game a day, every day, even if a few on his end were done back to back to back, publicly every day had game of the day in sequential order of release from 1983 to 1994.  Go check it, there's a lot to discover.  He moved into the terrible little EPOCH tv system after for its 12 titles, now I think he's testing the waters of the next 1000+ club thing, Gameboy.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2023 at 6:05 AM, Tanooki said:

If you take a nice dip into the deep side of the pool that is the Famicom holy crap comes to mind.

I find no evidence of this "Holy Crap" title on teh interwebs. Pics or it didn't happen.

But anyway, you're all forgetting the most excellent adventure-RPG hybrid series, Quest for Glory, on the IBM-PC (DOS). Nothing on the consoles comes close IMPO.

BUT!! Where consoles are concerned, it's Earthbound or shove it. You know how many times a year I consider buying another SNES just to play that masterpiece?

Edited by DeathAdderSF
I wrote "SNES" twice. There's no need for that. *burp*

I don't have much experience post ~1996 with console systems... but as far as RPGs go, I'd have to say NES, SNES, and NEC Turbo GraFX-16. I include the NEC in there because it seemed like half the 50+ some odd games I had were RPG games. I had the Ys 1 and 2 CD-ROM, and the Ys 3, all of which were really good... and then some other RPGs that were also equally fantastic.

For the NES, you had Dragon Warrior 1 and 2, and of course, the "Dragon Warrior" engine'd versions of the original Ultima games like Ultima 3-5... which made them significantly more playable for someone who's first Ultima game was #6. And I won't forget, Final Fantasy.

SNES of course had all the newer versions of these games... I think even a Dragon Warrior 4.

Shoot... I just started looking up Dragon Warrior... it looks like they made them both for the NES and SNES? And then #4 was also made for the Playstation? Pretty wild. I only really played Dragon Warrior 1 and 2 growing up... but I might buy the others now that I see they made them for the SNES... crazy.

Dragon Warrior IV was so late on the NES(FC) that it screwed itself right out of a window for a SFC upgrade so the SFC just got 1+2, 3, and 5 and 6, then 7 was the PS1 title.  Nintendo never got DW4 again until another century ticked by and that DS remaster got released.  I miss owning DW4 but I do have the DS version that was ported to mobile (along with #1 too.)  Personally to me the DQ1+2 SFC conversion back to 8bit on GBC was pretty impressive and the even more puffed up DW3 SFC port to GBC only mode cart was really amazing.  So eventually in the later 90s the US did get the SFC remasters, demade slightly back to 8bit format on Gameboy (black GBC cart 1+2) and GBC (translucent GBC only.)  They also have very very well done guides from Prima for those games too.