IGNORED

The Paddles

MittyOz

4 minutes ago, Ben from Plaion said:

There was a press release on launch day, three new accessories and four games. Solus paddles is one of the accessories.

I'd heard about the paddles but must have missed the press release. What are the other two accessories? Two button 7800 pad and ??

I know this is the wrong place, but is the update in the New Year or between Christmas and the New Year now? Not rushing you guys btw! 

EDIT. Four games! Ooh! Any info?

Edited by JetmanUK

Thanks

I am looking forward to the two button controller. 

You've got the developer elves working on the update on Christmas eve?! 😱😱😱🤣👌🏻 Well it is my birthday today, so a nice gift it will be, birthday and Christmas, whenever it is. 

Will you be playing Atari over the holidays with your family Ben?

Excited for the new games, most likely outcome? I buy them all, let's see. 🤣🤟🏻

Well a gamepad.  That's unfortunate.  I was really hoping for an official Atari two button joystick.

The original 7800 gamepads were a far cry from decent (that's being generous).  The new one will inevitably be compared with NES, SMS & TG16 two button pads.  The bar is high.  I'm still going to buy a set... but will have to mod a real joystick now.

5 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Thanks

I am looking forward to the two button controller. 

You've got the developer elves working on the update on Christmas eve?! 😱😱😱🤣👌🏻 Well it is my birthday today, so a nice gift it will be, birthday and Christmas, whenever it is. 

Will you be playing Atari over the holidays with your family Ben?

Excited for the new games, most likely outcome? I buy them all, let's see. 🤣🤟🏻

Playing Video Olympics game 13 with my brother right now!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, suspicious_milk said:

Well a gamepad.  That's unfortunate.  I was really hoping for an official Atari two button joystick.

The original 7800 gamepads were a far cry from decent (that's being generous).  The new one will inevitably be compared with NES, SMS & TG16 two button pads.  The bar is high.  I'm still going to buy a set... but will have to mod a real joystick now.

Both the joystick and gamepad were horrible. Hopefully, with modern parts, the gamepad is better than the original. It wouldn't be authentic, but personally I'd just rather see a two button version of the 2600 joystick.

• Like 2

Always wondered why they didn't just do that, even bitd. Just a typical cx40 with a smaller button under the main fire button. Or maybe a hat button.

What got me with the new paddle was canyon bomber. Maybe I'm wrong, but I swear that was a joystick game. Fire for bomb, and joystick left/right for faster or slower. Love the new paddle. There is slight jitter on breakout and some others, but I seem to recall most games did that anyways. I think the paddles are 256 or so step, and only about half their range is used anyways, for a vertical game with potentially 240 lines of gameplay area, A roughly 128 step pot will have to skip so many lines, causing jitter. But its nothing compared to a dirty or worn out pot which can flop around quite a bit.

On 11/24/2023 at 8:29 PM, Velvis said:

I am wondering why the pack in game for the 2600+ has a pretty good selection of games but the paddle pack in is missing Warlords.

I would have bought the paddle pack if it had that.

I see another multi-cart in the future! Even if it included games I already have like Circus Atari and Super Breakout I’d get it 😁

• Like 1

I'm guessing that they won't release Warlords until they release the paddle pack without the cartridge. My reasoning is simple: you can play Warlords with four people if you have two sets of paddles. It makes sense to wait until you can sell people a second set of paddles without a cartridge because nobody needs a redundant cartridge. Having said that, there's no reason to think they won't do a re-release of Warlords at some point, given that game's legendary status and the fact that the 2600 port is great.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

I'm guessing that they won't release Warlords until they release the paddle pack without the cartridge. My reasoning is simple: you can play Warlords with four people if you have two sets of paddles. It makes sense to wait until you can sell people a second set of paddles without a cartridge because nobody needs a redundant cartridge. Having said that, there's no reason to think they won't do a re-release of Warlords at some point, given that game's legendary status and the fact that the 2600 port is great.

True. I’m pretty sure Breakout and Video Olympics also have four-player variants, but Warlords ranks pretty high in that category. Hard to think of a four player simultaneous paddle game as iconic.

42 minutes ago, Glorkbot said:

So bummed that the paddle bundle is sold out. And no waitlist for a reprint.

It looks like "Millenium Ecommerce" is scalping them on Amazon. 

I find the fact that they are sold out on the Atari.com store to be a bit of a head-scratcher.  Was it not a popular product?  Was it an unprofitable product?  It isn't "limited edition," so if it's sold out, I'd think that that would mean that it *was,* in fact- popular.  Atari just wants to leave some money on the table for someone else, I guess.

I too, would like to purchase a set.  I'm curious how they compare to the AtGames paddles.  The game selection on the multi-cart isn't exactly what I would have chosen, but they're not bad games, either.

13 minutes ago, akator said:

They were in stock yesterday on Amazon, now they're sold out.  Like others, I'm disappointed the paddle set appears to be sold out everywhere except for scalpers.  I was hoping to pick up a set on the first of next month.  Oh well...

Yeah, since I originally ordered my 2600+ console (via Amazon), I was wanting to also get the paddle-pack, but it's always showing as 'sold out' every time I've checked since.

Luckily about a week before Christmas, I happened to notice there was an auction on Ebay for a new paddle-pack and I managed to just sneak in a winning bid in the final few seconds (I got real lucky as there was over 30 bidders), and it still ends up being a bit cheaper than if I had bought it via Amazon.  It's still in shipping (and the holidays may delay it a bit too), but I look forward to using it when I finally receive it.

Maybe after the holidays are over and things calm down a bit, the paddle-packs might go back in stock on Amazon, so keep checking occasionally and good luck.

• Like 1

Is

2 minutes ago, MysticSword said:

Maybe after the holidays are over and things calm down a bit, the paddle-packs might go back in stock on Amazon, so keep checking occasionally and good luck.

It’s not just Amazon that has them listed as sold out, Atari.com has them listed as sold out too.

I wonder, is the UK version the same as the American version? Because they’re not sold out in the UK.

Edited by Glorkbot

@Glorkbot I'm in Canada, and the seller for that auction (in which I placed the winning bid is a Gaming type biz / store I think, well, going by their profile on Ebay), is based in the US. But it could be that depending on one's location it may or may not be available. I'm thinking that probably when things calm down after the holidays, that hopefully it will come back in stock for people wanting to get it.

Edited by MysticSword

6 hours ago, fluxit said:

I find the fact that they are sold out on the Atari.com store to be a bit of a head-scratcher.  Was it not a popular product?  Was it an unprofitable product?  It isn't "limited edition," so if it's sold out, I'd think that that would mean that it *was,* in fact- popular.  Atari just wants to leave some money on the table for someone else, I guess.

I'd imagine they'll get more in. This has happened multiple times with the classic wireless joystick and they keep getting more in, same with the VCS PC Mode sticks. They're probably just waiting for more to be manufactured before changing the status of the order page.