IGNORED

2023 Advanced PCB Remake For the 800XL -- Revision 1.1

reifsnyderb

15 hours ago, reifsnyderb said:

I've had that happen with Fed Ex in the past.  That shipment didn't require any signature or anything.  Just drop it off.  I found out when I saw the tracking change to indicate the package wasn't dropped off because I wasn't home.  I know darn well the guy never dropped by and just decided he'd worry about it later.  I called the local Fed Ex hub and had a fit.  They contacted him and he later delivered.  🙂

Today, I think I stepped out for a few minutes when DHL dropped by.  The thing is that I could have sworn I had the delivery authorized without a signature.  So, I checked and it didn't show that I authorized it.  Maybe the website glitched or something.  I don't know what happened.  Lately, DHL has been doing pretty good but I think they have a different courier.

I had a similar thing with FEDEX, my door bell rang, by time I got to the door, the driver had gone and left a note saying he tried to deliver. Looked on the door cam, he walked up to the door rang it and then put missed you card through the door and went, I was fuming......

Straight after, I managed to find the call centre number to phone, it was one of those fake sounding call centre bots, that try to react and sound real, when it said, sorry you have to use the website to re-arrange a new delivery, I just said in a very dumb sarcastic voice, 'I have no arms and cannot use the internet', in such a surprise, the bot responded with ' I am sorry to hear this, I will transfer you to a service advisor', OMG..... Well gave him some grief and 30 mins later my parcel turned up :D 

I never expected the Bot to be listening, but a good one to remember is you have trouble with call center bots, just tell it you cannot use the internet :D 

• Like 1

5 board shipped out today.  Some with chips and some without.  These are version 1.0a boards.  There were three changes from version 1.0:  The first was that there were some component part numbers laid out a little differently so as to be easier to decipher.  The second change was that one component had two part numbers.  This was fixed and is also mentioned in the build document.  The third change was the addition of solder jumpers for the ROM chip so as to make it easier to adapt to the 256k or 512k ROM chip in the event of a parts shortage.  (If the 128k part were not to be available, jumpers could be soldered to the underside of the board, but this would be easier to do this way.)  The solder jumpers are under the ROM chip and accessible through the framework of the socket.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

800XL Remake BOMS

Here are two BOMS, one for Mouser (most of the required items excluding the 14 and 16 pin IC sockets, resistors, and video pot) and the other for Digikey (resistors and the pot).  The BOMS do include the PAL items as well.  All of the Atari IC's, SIO, keyboard, video, power, and cartridge will need to be donor sourced.

Notes:

Mouser:  This includes both SRAM chips, but you really only need one. 

The quantities are enough for a full build with many extras.

The clock crystal is out of stock here and the video pot

Digikey:  All of the resistors using Stackpole electronics including the video pot

I am just about ready to place an order for these.  I went over the specs from reifsnyderb's PDF document many times to double and triple check.

UPDATED:  I fixed the DB 9's on the mouser list to match reifsnyderb's comments from below.

digikey.xlsx

mouser.xls

Edited by Jfcatari
fixed db9's on mouser
  • Like 7

I just saw @Jfcatari 's above post and realized there is a problem with the db9 joystick connector part numbers.  I just checked my build document and found I forgot to include the part numbers but do have the part numbers on the board silkscreen.

These db9 connectors are not Atari parts as the metal connectors have a more stable mounting.  The part number is:  L717SDE09P1ACH4R and you will need 2.

I apologize for missing this part in my build document.

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am just about done the 800XL Remake from @reifsnyderb

Here are two capture videos comparing the svideo out from a 600XL with UAV and the 800XL Remake.

The path for the capture was:  Atari svideo out -> conversion unit (svideo to HDMI) -> HDMI capture card -> Screen capture video on Chrome OS Flex

The 800XL Remake is a fantastic board!

800XL Remake

600XL UAV

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2024 at 6:17 AM, Jfcatari said:

I am just about done the 800XL Remake from @reifsnyderb

Here are two capture videos comparing the svideo out from a 600XL with UAV and the 800XL Remake.

The path for the capture was:  Atari svideo out -> conversion unit (svideo to HDMI) -> HDMI capture card -> Screen capture video on Chrome OS Flex

The 800XL Remake is a fantastic board!

800XL Remake

600XL UAV

Would you say there are no jail bars and other artifacts? Ghosting, bleeding? 

Using svideo out there is no blurring on the image.

When you have a solid color like the blue background in basic, slight jail bars came seen.  

Please note I have this board set for composite and svideo at the same time.  Not enabling composite might address the slight jail bars.

I will try to get images from each any for close comparison.

• Like 1

Hello all - First, a thank you for this.  Second - a bit of a noob question regarding the PLC/PLDs.  I believe I can use my T48 for this - the PLC/PLDs on the BOM are on the Xgecu supported list. 

But what development tool would you recommend to build the file(s) needed for the T48?  I'll do plenty of research on how all this works, but looking for a recommendation on the tool.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, CJ Atari said:

Hello all - First, a thank you for this.  Second - a bit of a noob question regarding the PLC/PLDs.  I believe I can use my T48 for this - the PLC/PLDs on the BOM are on the Xgecu supported list. 

But what development tool would you recommend to build the file(s) needed for the T48?  I'll do plenty of research on how all this works, but looking for a recommendation on the tool.  Thanks!

I used my t48 to program the roms and it's for the remake.  No problems at all

Perfect - Is there a tool or an 'IDE' or something that converts:

/******************************************************************/
/* 800XL 2023 Advanced PCB Remake */
/* I/O and SRAM control */
/* */
/* Allowable Target Device Types: ATF16V8 */
/** Inputs **/
Pin 01 = A8 ; /* A8 */
Pin 02 = A9 ; /* A9 */
Pin 03 = A10 ; /* A10 */
Pin 04 = PBI_RAM ; /* Enable PBI RAM (D6xx-D7FF) */
Pin 06 = Phi2S ; /* Phi2 Sally */
Pin 07 = MMU_CI ; /* !MMU CAS Inhibit */
Pin 08 = RW ; /* RW From Sally */
Pin 09 = PB_EXTSEL ; /* !EXTSEL */
Pin 11 = IO ; /* !IO */

to the files needed to program the PLCs/PLDs)?  Burned plenty of PICs and EEPROMS and UV EPROMS - just not used this (and is it Verilog?). 

Thansk!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CJ Atari said:

Perfect - Is there a tool or an 'IDE' or something that converts:

/* 800XL 2023 Advanced PCB Remake */
/* I/O and SRAM control */
/* */
/* Allowable Target Device Types: ATF16V8 */
/** Inputs **/
Pin 01 = A8 ; /* A8 */
Pin 02 = A9 ; /* A9 */
Pin 03 = A10 ; /* A10 */
Pin 04 = PBI_RAM ; /* Enable PBI RAM (D6xx-D7FF) */
Pin 06 = Phi2S ; /* Phi2 Sally */
Pin 07 = MMU_CI ; /* !MMU CAS Inhibit */
Pin 08 = RW ; /* RW From Sally */
Pin 09 = PB_EXTSEL ; /* !EXTSEL */
Pin 11 = IO ; /* !IO */

to the files needed to program the PLCs/PLDs)?  Burned plenty of PICs and EEPROMS and UV EPROMS - just not used this (and is it Verilog?). 

Thansk!

Hello!

I use wincupl.  It's an ancient program that can be downloaded for free.

Edit to add:  Here's the URL--  https://www.microchip.com/en-us/products/fpgas-and-plds/spld-cplds/pld-design-resources

Best Regards,

Brian

Edited by reifsnyderb
  • Like 1

I've been assembling an 800xl re-make board for someone and tried a 17pf crystal for the clock.  I still get black and white only.  I just saw, recently, where putting an adjustable capacitor, in series with a crystal, can allow for some adjustment.  Has anyone tried this?

If this is a potential fix for this problem, it might be a good idea to add a place to the board for such a capacitor.

Edited by reifsnyderb

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to ordering the components to build this board (clock crystal is still out of stock though). Looking forward to building it! Trying to build it with almost no original Atari custom chips.  

• Like 3