IGNORED

2023 Advanced PCB Remake For the 800XL -- Revision 1.1

reifsnyderb

Board complete - not booting.  The 5 Atari LSIs are good as I check them on a working Atari 800XL.  Reading Vcc of like 4.5v on the all the chips. AND you can see this on the clock below (measured at W2).  So with that overshoot / undershoot (or negative shoot?), there must be a short or something consuming to much current?  And should I remove all the ICs to isolate?  At least its firing at the correct frequency of 3.57... 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

IMG_0802.thumb.JPG.3fe62bbe14aea5a9f9365fb554f7065b.JPG

Edited by CJ Atari

5 minutes ago, CJ Atari said:

Ok - the clock overshoot is a manifestation of the oscilloscope / probes most likely based on some research.  But the low voltage is a problem. And just adding its on me to fix, not looking for mega-help.

Did you check all solder connections?  With all chips removed, check continuity between pins to make sure there aren't any hidden bridges under the sockets.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CJ Atari said:

Ok - the clock overshoot is a manifestation of the oscilloscope / probes most likely based on some research.  But the low voltage is a problem. And just adding its on me to fix, not looking for mega-help.

I would also check to make sure any diodes are not put in backwards.

• Thanks 1

So it booted.  Got a faint "Pac Mac" on the screen when booting from that cartridge.  Cold or non-existing solder joints based on microscope scan I did.  Diodes okay. 

Audio not coming through and video is very faint.  Will keep working - will get there. 

But if we get to Pac Man home screen - a good sign (right?).  And Basic prompt too but video issues...

Thanks for listening - having fun.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CJ Atari said:

So it booted.  Got a faint "Pac Mac" on the screen when booting from that cartridge.  Cold or non-existing solder joints based on microscope scan I did.  Diodes okay. 

Audio not coming through and video is very faint.  Will keep working - will get there. 

But if we get to Pac Man home screen - a good sign (right?).  And Basic prompt too but video issues...

Thanks for listening - having fun.

Sounds like progress is being made and you are starting to find the problem.  I'd re-flow every solder joint.  Hold that soldering iron on each joint until it melts then count to at least 5 before removing the soldering iron.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's a screen shot - its Pac Man of course.  Audio is great, it boots carts and into basic.  Something is up with the video (duh). I have used a wide variety of cables and s-video to HDMI converters.  In this picture, I am using Lotharek's monitor breakout (L, R, CV and S-video) to an S-video cable to the Scart input of a MEDUSA - SC. 

I double checked the components, tried a couple of 4050s.  Any ideas?  Many thanks!

Screen.JPG

• Like 1

I don't have am S-video display noting all other 800XLs have worked with my converters.  The two jumpers for CV don't seem to change output and I don't believe a CV signal is coming through the monitor port.

The board pics are here.  I did clip out the RN that was unnecessary (after installed), never did install any PAL devices, and the jumper - W2 is installed. I used that to measure the clock.  The jumpers for U26 (4 of them) are soldered on the board's underside. 

It must be an incorrectly-inserted (of faulty) component of some kind?  Thanks!

MB 1.JPG

MB 2.JPG

MB 3.jpeg

• Like 3

I don't wish to interrupt your troubleshooting but I gotta say @reifsnyderb your 800XL remake board design is exemplary. I love how everything is grouped into logical outlined blocks, and that you provided 3 prototyping perf board areas 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2