IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

26 minutes ago, JetmanUK said:

Today's arrival, so far, hoping for something to land later too...

I really like these Fox games. 

This is a nice game, lots going on, good sound and graphics. They stole some from River Raid though. 😬🤣 But I guess they only had so many pixels and so many ways to arrange them. 🤔🤣

IMG_20240205_134311.jpg

IMG_20240205_134317.jpg

Let us all know how you enjoy the game.

I played it a bit, seems really fun

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

It just seems super unresponsive, to the point of being unplayable on the 7800.

I have no idea what the other versions are like, but as the game seems to have had enough critical acclaim over the years for them to make the Atari 50 style loveletter to it, The Making of Karateka, then it must be at least pretty good.

For those that haven't seen it it's on all platforms, and I play on all platforms, but 2600 Plus aside, here's a link to it on my prefered platform.

Buy The Making of Karateka | Xbox

(I need to buy this at some point myself)

Atari bought the studio, Digital Eclipse, so I guess this is an Atari game now, although someone else probably owns the Karateka license.

Digital Eclipse are great to have on board, Atari 50 was excellent and they have a real pedigree with 'retro' games.

They have a Llamasoft collection coming soon too.

I was thinking it would be nice to get a Llamasoft collection. In 1995 when the web was new I got in trouble at work for plsying Llamatron 😂

Regarding Karateka, I had a pirate copy I used to play on my 800XL and thought it was pretty good, but given the nature of the controls I can’t imagine it would work too well with a joystick. Lots of precise key tapping to move forward and back - it’s not a brawler or fighting game really. More similar to Bushido Blade. There’s a couple of games I’d love to see remastered, though there’s an indie knockoff called Kiai I bought from the PlayStation store to scratch that itch.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

Nice 

You've got some fantastic games there. And you've got Jinks 

;-)

Yeah, in some cases I was just lucky with the purchases, in others I was looking for specific games. Also, I need some fresh stickers for the damaged ones. But I have yet to find someone who sells them in the EU. 😞

4 minutes ago, Sean_1970 said:

I was thinking it would be nice to get a Llamasoft collection. In 1995 when the web was new I got in trouble at work for plsying Llamatron 😂

Regarding Karateka, I had a pirate copy I used to play on my 800XL and thought it was pretty good, but given the nature of the controls I can’t imagine it would work too well with a joystick. Lots of precise key tapping to move forward and back - it’s not a brawler or fighting game really. More similar to Bushido Blade. There’s a couple of games I’d love to see remastered, though there’s an indie knockoff called Kiai I bought from the PlayStation store to scratch that itch.

There is a modern remake of Karateka on Steam. https://store.steampowered.com/app/217270/Karateka/

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

IMG_20240205_134311.jpg

I like the art work.  

Me too, I find these Fox games quite stylish in general.

The only two games they released I do not own are The Earth Dies Screaming and Porkys. Both are supposed to be very poor so I am not sure that I am missing much. I tried the Earth, it was OK-ish.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, shane857 said:

A recent purchase. Had no idea SEGA released games on the 2600 back in the day... Reminds me of destroyer. The Atari arcade game where you looked through a periscope.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Sub Scan is a good game.  It would be nice though if the depth charges dropped faster on the enemies.  And if the enemies fired back to make it more fun.

Edited by Intellivision Master
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

Sub Scan is a good game.  It would be nice though if the depth charges dropped faster on the enemies.  And if the enemies fired back to make it more fun.

My copy od this has taken aaaaagggggggeeesss to arrive, hoping it will be here by Friday.

I am glad you are enjoying it. It is super slow at frist, but gets quite fun after a while.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Me too, I find these Fox games quite stylish in general.

The only two games they released I do not own are The Earth Dies Screaming and Porkys. Both are supposed to be very poor so I am not sure that I am missing much. I tried the Earth, it was OK-ish.

Yeh, great game. Fox released a lot of good games. I like Mega force also. I only own this and Sub scan. Crypts of chaos is a rare one I would like to get hold of. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

I kind of liked Porky's. You must admit that it is definitely different. I'd love to know how the programmer came up with the crazy pole vaulting thing in the swamp!? Plus the way the guys hair kind of floats off of his scalp when he runs looks funny.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, shane857 said:

Yeh, great game. Fox released a lot of good games. I like Mega force also. I only own this and Sub scan. Crypts of chaos is a rare one I would like to get hold of. 

Crypts of Chaos, played the ROM, hated it at first, thn liked it, it's in the mail. :P

It''s quite common on eBay, and not expensive.

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, pseudografx said:

There is a modern remake of Karateka on Steam. https://store.steampowered.com/app/217270/Karateka/

After Valve couldn’t be bothered to make sure their own games ran on newer Macs I can’t say I’d be keen to buy anything there again. Deleted the app years ago.

Now that Making of Karateka on PlayStation from Digital Eclipse, this I would buy 👍

1 hour ago, JetmanUK said:

Crypts of Chaos, played the ROM, hated it at first, thn liked it, it's in the mail. :P

I remember watching a good friend of mine playing Crypts of Chaos back in Atari's hayday. You REALLY had to use your imagination when playing that game. I remember when you first started the game you could spin around and move one spot forward and the game would just end. It was like the game was saying did you change your mind and decide to exit the dungeon ok game over then.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

I've never played Karateka. Is it just that the 7800 version has wonky controls? Are other versions worth playing?

I know the Atari 50 guys just made an interactive documentary about it 

The Atari 7800 port of Karateka is garbage.  Great game, bad port. The 7800 and NES got the short end of the stick when it came to Karateka. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Major Havoc 2049 said:

The Atari 7800 port of Karateka is garbage.  Great game, bad port. The 7800 and NES got the short end of the stick when it came to Karateka. 

The NES got a lot of garbage ports. (looking at you, Rampage) They claimed it was due to the hardware limitations, but then I've seen some fantastic ports on the NES. Clearly, some were trying harder than others.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

The NES got a lot of garbage ports. (looking at you, Rampage) They claimed it was due to the hardware limitations, but then I've seen some fantastic ports on the NES. Clearly, some were trying harder than others.

I agree. I remember thinking that Paperboy could have been better.

• Like 1

Following my earlier posts this was the other two carts that came in the evening, good old Evri. 

Both in great cosmetic condition... I've cleaned them four times but they are still troublesome in the Plus. It takes a good four of five attempts for them to work for some reason.

Anyway, when they do work here we have a fun shooter and an annoying platformer. 💁🏻🤣

I still quite like DKJ as a piece of history though. 

IMG_20240205_223035.jpg

IMG_20240205_223046.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

that port isn't as good as ports on later systems, but it's a freaking marvel that we could even have that game on the 2600

Right, therefore I have the two Donkey Kongs in my 2600 collection but only play the 7800 versions😊

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

If anyone needs new labels,

Ya might check here:  (I realize shipping overseas might be expensive)

I've been itching to do that. I need to save up a pile of cash as I need about 400 labels, and I'd like to do some of the alternate sets, especially for the 7800 titles. It's actually going to cost me a lot more for the labels that the games. Maybe after I sell all my duplicates.

• Like 1