IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

IMG_1672.thumb.jpeg.5aea8a6eeb2c71da88b856a5b4d7de3c.jpegI recently picked up a copy of Dark Chambers for the 7800.  Overall I like it a lot but it also has a lot of untapped potential. @Ben from Plaion  I would like to suggest that Plaion release an enhanced version that has at least two improvements: first, there needs to be a boss battle after level ‘Z’. Simply starting over at level ‘A’ after completing ‘Z’ is so anticlimactic, especially after picking up all the power ups on level ‘Z’. and second, the ability to run, which could be implemented in various different ways. One way would be while your elf has more than 90% health he can run a little faster. 
The reason why I’m suggesting these enhancements is because I believe it would sell really well. 

Edited by Plumbob
Added nice colorful picture!
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Plumbob said:

IMG_1672.thumb.jpeg.5aea8a6eeb2c71da88b856a5b4d7de3c.jpegI recently picked up a copy of Dark Chambers for the 7800.  Overall I like it a lot but it also has a lot of untapped potential. @Ben from Plaion  I would like to suggest that Plaion release an enhanced version that has at least two improvements: first, there needs to be a boss battle after level ‘Z’. Simply starting over at level ‘A’ after completing ‘Z’ is so anticlimactic, especially after picking up all the power ups on level ‘Z’. and second, the ability to run, which could be implemented in various different ways. One way would be while your elf has more than 90% health he can run a little faster. 
The reason why I’m suggesting these enhancements is because I believe it would sell really well. 

Yes, Dark Chambers gets a lot of love here on AA. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll pass this onto Atari. Pretty sure they own the IP.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Ben from Plaion said:

See, this is what I love about AtariAge, Plaion, Atari, and Ben:  even if my suggestion never makes it to production, at least someone is listening and considering community ideas.   In my experience, I can’t think of any other company who embeds someone into the community and listens to customers.  This community relationship is awesome, keep up the great work Ben and team and everyone here on AtariAge!

• Like 4

i just hope we get more games on 7800, at least some more "experimental ones" sprinkled in for genre variety to stand out from the standard addictively simple, yet fun Atari stuff.

also on dark chambers maybe at least do the more standard thing, if possible of increasing difficulty when sent back to Level A, if that isn't already the case and if it is then maybe make a secret super hard mode that you only get from beating the hardest mode, boss fight too but it is fun to have a game you can endlessly play. It is why i am a fan of many text based, simulation titles. But that'd make this game more interesting to 100%.

Also Karateka 7800, make it outdo the famicom version, control more like the original Apple II version and you'll have the best version of the game even if without HOKEY/POKEY sound. And maybe if Air Raiders is re-released maybe add a mode like the unlimited ammo romhack that adds some kind of "marathon run" appeal. Still have fuel and the possibility of crashing there and all of that, perhaps even different rates of fire or other additional modes and you'd have a must-have Air Raiders +.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

i just hope we get more games on 7800, at least some more "experimental ones" sprinkled in for genre variety to stand out from the standard addictively simple, yet fun Atari stuff.

It would be neat if Atari released some 7800 games that were cancelled back in the day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atari_7800_games#Cancelled_games

14 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

And maybe if Air Raiders is re-released maybe add a mode like the unlimited ammo romhack that adds some kind of "marathon run" appeal. Still have fuel and the possibility of crashing there and all of that, perhaps even different rates of fire or other additional modes and you'd have a must-have Air Raiders +.

This is MrChickenz favorite game.  

• Thanks 1

@Ben I'm guessing that since you said DK and DKjr for the 7800 would be a no-go for a reissue from Atari, I'm assuming Xenophobe, H.E.R.O., Private Eye and Mario Bros would also be a no go? 

I see the publisher for those were Atari but I'm assuming, just like DK AND DKJR they are not easy to get?

1 hour ago, fairy princess said:

Just tried to clean my copy of klax. Now my 2600+ is failing every game...

Get a flashlight and check if all the pins of the cartridge slot are still up. Good luck!

16 hours ago, Maztr_0n said:

And maybe if Air Raiders is re-released maybe add a mode like the unlimited ammo romhack that adds some kind of "marathon run" appeal. Still have fuel and the possibility of crashing there and all of that, perhaps even different rates of fire or other additional modes and you'd have a must-have Air Raiders +.

1 hour ago, Intellivision Master said:

It would be neat if Atari released some 7800 games that were cancelled back in the day.

This is MrChickenz favorite game.  

You know, I never even thought of the possibility of releasing a 7800+ version of Air Raiders and possibly other M-Network titles.

The graphics would look great and possibly AI, I believe AI has been mentioned before.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fairy princess said:

I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Would this help???

It is hard to see on a video. But when you look at the shiny pins, you can see that the ones on the right look fine (see picture below).

pins.thumb.jpg.d3e85f9749f1cac4ccb0f0eea7b5b808.jpg

Now, compare these pins with all other pins. When one or more of them have been pushed to the bottom, those pins will not make a good contact with a cartridge. It is possible to bend them back up by using a needle, it is much easier when you open up the console and get the cartridge slot out of the housing. But I can understand that doing this is not your thing. You can take a look at this topic and ask Ben for a replacement.

But, if all pins look fine, the problem lies somewhere else...

12 hours ago, MrChickenz said:

You know, I never even thought of the possibility of releasing a 7800+ version of Air Raiders and possibly other M-Network titles.

The graphics would look great and possibly AI, I believe AI has been mentioned before.

7800 air raiders is a different beast to consider... i'd almost wonder if the polygonal esque style of F-18 Hornet would actually work for it or not, depends on how crunchy the res is made, maybe it would be easier to tell whats firing at you and from where, shoot down ground targets? Hmmmm...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

Totally, i also wanna see a few simulation, rpg or even strategy titles and perhaps even mature titles on the consoles.

As long as it proves to be worthwhile i'd love to see something relatively absurdist.

But lynx games... oh yeah... cancelled stuff yes...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fairy princess said:

I've took the back off my 2600+. I don't know what I'm doing.

I might buy a cheap jnr off eBay....

I assume you did that because your 2600+ does not load any games? Did you check if you actually do have bent pins?

If you do not know what you are doing, then it is better to stop and send @Ben from Plaion a message 😉

On 8/25/2024 at 7:29 PM, Ben from Plaion said:

Surely this will be one of the next batch of carts. It's Atari IP, much loved, and not easy to get hold of an affordable CIB copy.

I don't mind if it'd not enhanced in any way either, slap that old ROM in a cart and take our money! 😃

Atari are already selling an XP cart version of it too:

Dark Chambers - Limited Edition - Official Atari Video Game Cartridge – Atari®

Edited by JetmanUK
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JetmanUK said:

Surely this will be one of the next batch of carts. It's Atari IP, much loved, and not easy to get hold of an affordable CIB copy.

I don't mind if it'd not enhanced in any way either, slap that old ROM in a cart and take our money! 😃

Atari are already selling an XP cart version of it too:

Dark Chambers - Limited Edition - Official Atari Video Game Cartridge – Atari®

They should do a limited edition for the 7800 version.  As well as a standard edition re-release for the 7800 version.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, fairy princess said:

I've took the back off my 2600+. I don't know what I'm doing.

I might buy a cheap jnr off eBay....

I wouldn't go messing about with 2600+ internally, unless you know what you're doing.

Were all your other carts working before you tried cleaning the Klax cart?

On 8/25/2024 at 1:22 PM, Plumbob said:

You wanna a real killer app game cart that has wide appeal ? Just get someone to develop Gauntlet with 4 player simultaneous for the 7800+ 

Release it in a pack with dual joysticks per port, like the paddles, lol. 

"Wizard is about to die" "Don't shoot food !" etc. lol 

Edited by tradyblix
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shane857 said:

What did you use to clean the cart. Isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip/cotton bud?

Both 2600 and 7800 Klax work on this machine, once cleaned. Just as a reference. I have both. 

It is the 90s, and it is time for .... Klax. 

• Like 1